Default Spider-Man arch nemesis through ages

Spider-Man is one of the superheroes with the richest rogues gallery, but among the villains there are always some that come out as more menacing, more threatening to Spider-Man's life and that has contributed to making our hero more miserable. I think in the collective of people, that villain is the Green Goblin, Norman Osborn, and although he has been one of Spider-Man most formidable foes, he was not always Spidey's biggest concern. So I wanted to make a list with those villains who had ranked as Spider-Man biggest threat in some time or another. Not for one story, but that has hold that title in a particular time.

I think in the Lee / Ditko era, that title belonged to Dr Octopus, and even with Gwen's death, Green Goblin could not get ahold of that title because he died in the same storyline, but I'm not aware of Doc Ock's relevance in the Conway era. I have a lot of holes in my collection, I'm not aware of who could be considered next, but Hobgoblin was important for a vast time, when his identity was a secret and it was some of the biggest challenges Spider-Man had to deal with. In the beggining of the 90s maybe Venom had that title, though he also had a role of antihero not long after. With the Clone Saga, Green Goblin finally came as the arch nemesis for Spider-Man. Morlun is the next one that comes to mind, and although Octopus had an important role leading to Superior Spider-Man, and Dark Reign put Norman as a more global menacing villain, Green Goblin was finally the final boss, always plotting. Nowadays, with the end of Dan Slott 'Spider-Man I think Norman is still holding that title. Any villains you want to add in relation to his / her relevance in making Peter's life a painful experience and a strong antagonism in some time of the character long's "life"?
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The funny thing is,post-Slott,there's no a clear arch-enemy status. Dr Octopus is an anti-hero with the whole "Superior Octopus/Spider-Man" gimmick, Osborn is out of the picture and Eddie is a hero in his own title.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    The funny thing is,post-Slott,there's no a clear arch-enemy status. Dr Octopus is an anti-hero with the whole "Superior Octopus/Spider-Man" gimmick, Osborn is out of the picture and Eddie is a hero in his own title.
    That's one interpretation. Another is that Slott established Otto as an interesting and genuine threat. Osborn hasn't gone anywhere. Spencer will fill any void shortly.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-02-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Incredible Member

1963 - 1964 - Amazing Spider-Man #3 - Annual #1 (around between issues #15 and #16 time) - Doctor Octopus.

1964 - 1966 - Amazing Spider-Man #17 - 40 - Green Goblin / Norman Osborn.

1966 - 1970 - Amazing Spider-Man Issues #41 - 49 each had turns of guys Spidey either put away or cured, then from issue #50 through #85, it was Kingpin.

1970 - 1973 - Anybody's guess. Green Goblin had a couple notable returns in notable stories, drug issues and Gwendolyn Stacy's death, but he's been thought cured / dead on those. Doctor Octopus did not really attempted to murder George Stacy - he threw himself at the way of the kid, and Spidey's tentacle-control jamming formula web jammed at Otto's control over his tentacles. Octopus also was notable for "courting" Aunt May at the period, May agreeing to be under the protection of Otto and / or his men, under the assumption that he's a good man, while the bigger threat of those tales, 1972 - 1976, was Hammerhead, Octopus' gang war mob boss rival of the period.

1974 - 1975 - Amazing Spider-Man #129 - 149 - Jackal, Clone Saga #1.

1976 - 1983 - Notable masterminds of period: Kingpin, of Amazing Spider-Man #154, #163 - 164, 195 - 197; Lightmaster, of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #1-3, #19-20; Green Goblin / Doctor Barton Hamilton, of Amazing Spider-Man #175 - 180; Professor Spencer Smythe, behind the events of Amazing Spider-Man #186 - 192; and Mysterio, of Amazing Spider-Man #193 - 199, Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #50-51.

1983 - 1987 - Hobgoblin / Roderick Kingsley, then joint effort, of Hobgoblin / Roderick Kingsley and Rose / Richard Fisk. There was also a significant Doctor Octopus threat, Spectacular Spider-Man #72 - 79, and Kingpin string-pulling the Black Cat, Spectacular Spider-Man #90 - 100.

1988 - 1994 - Spidey's chief nemesis of popular one-dimensional grudge matches and comebacks was Venom, then Carnage. Also of note, Green Goblin / Harry Osborn in Spectacular Spider-Man #178 - 184, #189-190, #199-200, #204, Amazing Spider-Man #369, #389, Doctor Octopus, notably the Sinister Six stories of Amazing Spider-Man #334-339, Spider-Man #18-23, and Spider-Man Unlimited #3, as well as throughout Gerry Conway's run throughout Spectacular / Web of Spider-Man, 1988 - 1990, Tombstone, Hammerhead, Chameleon, Lobo Brothers, and Puma.

1995 - Jackal, Clone Saga #2. Also of runner-up note, Doctor Octopus / Carolyn Trainer.

1996 - Joint effort of Gaunt / Mendel Stromm, and Norman Osborn / Green Goblin.

1997 - 1998 - Norman Osborn / Green Goblin. Others of note, throughout 1996 - 1998, Black Tarantula, and his rivalry against Rose / Jacob Conover and Delilah.

1999 - 2000 - Senator Ward.

2001 - 2007 - Green Goblin / Norman Osborn.

2007 - 2009 - I presume, Mister Negative / Menace / Norman Osborn.

2009 - 2012 - I presume, Doctor Octopus, then Kravens

2013 - present - I presume, Doctor Octopus, then Norman Osborn.

Archenemies differ from the Big Bad (the mastermind behind some of the biggest plots, whose defeat marks the end of an era.)

I do remember one list from the 80s that had the Goblin Brothers as the greatest enemy, since Spider-Man never fought more than one at a time, as Norman Osborn was followed by Harry, who was followed by Bart, who was followed by the Hobgoblin. It took a while for the individual identities to matter.

My take on the greatest enemies.

1960s/ early 1970s) Doctor Octopus- He led the Sinister Six, and was the main vilain in some earlier long arcs. This would be between Amazing Spider-Man #1-115.

1970s) The Green Goblins. This would be between Amazing Spider-Man #121-180. At this point, Otto's appearances weren't that special, but the Goblins had tremendous impact.

Late 1970s/ Early 1980s) The Burglar. Mainly because this was a fallow period for Goblins, and Doctor Octopus. The Kingpin also retired, so for a few years, Spider-Man's most meaningful showdown was with Ben's killer.

1980s) The Hobgoblin. This was the big mystery in the books for years. It corresponded with an era when Doctor Octopus was terrified of Spider-Man.

Late 1980s/ Early 1990s) Venom. His popularity as a villain corresponded to a period when Macendale was the major Goblin, and Doc Ock's appearances were kind of generic.

Mid 1990s) Harry Osborn. His big saga also came when Venom had become more of an ally.

Late 1990s/ 2000s) Norman Osborn

2010s) Doctor Octopus. With the leadership of the Sinister Six, and his victory in Superior Spider-Man, he came back to be arguably Spider-Man's greatest enemy.

2017-2018) Norman Osborn. His return to the Spider-Man books as a big bad of the Marvel Universe
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    1963 - 1964 - Amazing Spider-Man #3 - Annual #1 (around between issues #15 and #16 time) - Doctor Octopus.

1964 - 1966 - Amazing Spider-Man #17 - 40 - Green Goblin / Norman Osborn.

1966 - 1970 - Amazing Spider-Man Issues #41 - 49 each had turns of guys Spidey either put away or cured, then from issue #50 through #85, it was Kingpin.

1970 - 1973 - Anybody's guess. Green Goblin had a couple notable returns in notable stories, drug issues and Gwendolyn Stacy's death, but he's been thought cured / dead on those. Doctor Octopus did not really attempted to murder George Stacy - he threw himself at the way of the kid, and Spidey's tentacle-control jamming formula web jammed at Otto's control over his tentacles. Octopus also was notable for "courting" Aunt May at the period, May agreeing to be under the protection of Otto and / or his men, under the assumption that he's a good man, while the bigger threat of those tales, 1972 - 1976, was Hammerhead, Octopus' gang war mob boss rival of the period.

1974 - 1975 - Amazing Spider-Man #129 - 149 - Jackal, Clone Saga #1.

1976 - 1983 - Notable masterminds of period: Kingpin, of Amazing Spider-Man #154, #163 - 164, 195 - 197; Lightmaster, of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #1-3, #19-20; Green Goblin / Doctor Barton Hamilton, of Amazing Spider-Man #175 - 180; Professor Spencer Smythe, behind the events of Amazing Spider-Man #186 - 192; and Mysterio, of Amazing Spider-Man #193 - 199, Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #50-51.

1983 - 1987 - Hobgoblin / Roderick Kingsley, then joint effort, of Hobgoblin / Roderick Kingsley and Rose / Richard Fisk. There was also a significant Doctor Octopus threat, Spectacular Spider-Man #72 - 79, and Kingpin string-pulling the Black Cat, Spectacular Spider-Man #90 - 100.

1988 - 1994 - Spidey's chief nemesis of popular one-dimensional grudge matches and comebacks was Venom, then Carnage. Also of note, Green Goblin / Harry Osborn in Spectacular Spider-Man #178 - 184, #189-190, #199-200, #204, Amazing Spider-Man #369, #389, Doctor Octopus, notably the Sinister Six stories of Amazing Spider-Man #334-339, Spider-Man #18-23, and Spider-Man Unlimited #3, as well as throughout Gerry Conway's run throughout Spectacular / Web of Spider-Man, 1988 - 1990, Tombstone, Hammerhead, Chameleon, Lobo Brothers, and Puma.

1995 - Jackal, Clone Saga #2. Also of runner-up note, Doctor Octopus / Carolyn Trainer.

1996 - Joint effort of Gaunt / Mendel Stromm, and Norman Osborn / Green Goblin.

1997 - 1998 - Norman Osborn / Green Goblin. Others of note, throughout 1996 - 1998, Black Tarantula, and his rivalry against Rose / Jacob Conover and Delilah.

1999 - 2000 - Senator Ward.

2001 - 2007 - Green Goblin / Norman Osborn.

2007 - 2009 - I presume, Mister Negative / Menace / Norman Osborn.

2009 - 2012 - I presume, Doctor Octopus, then Kravens

2013 - present - I presume, Doctor Octopus, then Norman Osborn.
    Great list, but you forgot to list Kraven in the 80s and Morlun in the early 2000s. Both very significant stories.
    Also, I’d add Traveller and Scrier to the 1995 list.

Fantastic Member

i wish they would bring back Kingsley and use his hobgoblin more often, in 8 years of reading he's appeared in 3 issues of amazing spider-man (dying wish arc) to my knowledge.

I know carnage gets a lot of his own series but i would like to see him back to menace spider-man every now and then in the actual amaizng book, he's one of my fav villains but i aint buying a ton of mini series just to see him. not appeared once in amaizng spider-man in my 8 years (red goblin doesnt count.

I get the feeling the bandaged guy in amazing the now is being built up to be someone we know, but i hope he's actually a new villain, there's not enough new villains being made of notable worth.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Thanks for the responses!
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Here's my response, ranking the Spider-Nemesis' by categories:

1º) Goblins (First, Norman Osborn; Second, HobGoblin)
    2º) Symbiotes (First, Venom; currently, with Venom's lastest "evolution", maybe Carnage).
    3º) Doctor Octopus (First, Otto Octavius; currently, maybe the return of Carolyn Trainer).
    4º) "Elementals" (Including Electro, Sandman, Hydroman and similars).
    5º) Kraven's family (mainly, Sergei).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Great list, but you forgot to list Kraven in the 80s and Morlun in the early 2000s. Both very significant stories.
    Also, I’d add Traveller and Scrier to the 1995 list.
    But Traveller and Scrier were both pawns of Norman. Even the Jackal was revealed to have been another piece on Norman's chessboard. The Green Goblin has constantly hung over Spidey like a shadow. Harry was twisted into following in Norman's footsteps (so anything Harry did is a direct result of Norman.) The Hobgoblin exists because he found one of Norman's secret hideouts and raided his Journal's (so anything he did can be traced back to Norman.)

The top spot changes depending on the writer, but it is between Norman and Otto.