Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This week in Comics

I've seen some threads in the Community forum about comics, but for a site that is here for comics, a place where we can stretch outside a company designation (as in Marvel, DC, or Image forums). I've always liked the weekly thread that used to appear in the Marvel forum where the week's releases were listed and people noted which books they were buying. What I propose is to do that here, except list the books planned or purchased this week so we can get an idea of who reads what and possibly get some ideas for other titles.

I'd start by saying I'm planning on:

Dr Strange #6 (someday I will see a hundredth anniversary for Steve. he deserves one)
    Wonder Woman Earth One #2 (Looks like fun. After all, how can I go wrong with Morrison and some sexual kink mixed in?)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You mean Dr Strange hasn't hit 100 issues yet?....can his half an issue series in Strange Tales count?

Strange Tales appearances (starting with #117 - #183) = 66 issues
    The 1980's series = 90 issues.

If one uses that legacy rule I guess that would put him well over 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You mean Dr Strange hasn't hit 100 issues yet?....can his half an issue series in Strange Tales count?

Strange Tales appearances (starting with #117 - #183) = 66 issues
    The 1980's series = 90 issues.

If one uses that legacy rule I guess that would put him well over 100.
    He's had long runs, but never had a celebratory double 0 number. Runs of 81 and 90 and still nothing. It's a thing with me, I know, but still.

Batman #56 - Always a good read
    Flash #55 (couldn't pick it up last week) - I followed the last story and enjoyed it, plus I like Kolins
    Walking Dead #184 - Another long time reader here

Maybe ASM #6 (couldn't pick it up last week) - I'm kind of ready to jump off of ASM for this storyline
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

I won't get a chance to read everything probably until this weekend but I got...

Dead Rabbit #1

Umbrella Academy #1

Jook Joint #1

The Dreaming #2

Unexpected #5

The Magic Order #4

Justice League #9

Paper Girls #25

No one, but no one can claim my comics aren't diverse. And yes, I will be posting this every week.

HEY KIDS COMICS #3 (a mix of history and Chaykin cynicism)
    UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #37 (possibly the best book Marvel puts out. It has the stuff for newbies and long-time fans)

I've planned a few ones - Hey kids! among them but I hope that I will finally get one day the first issue that I've missed...

The ones I want to read the most :
    Black Hammer the quantum age. Because I love that universe- and Herb - the mist unexpected character of 2018.
    Cat Woman- a really nice series
    Amazing Spider Man - because I loved Superior Foes of SM by Spencer.

But ! According to what I've seen the book of the year is MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN JUNKIES by Brubaker and Philips (and another Philios for the amazing colors). A 16.99 $ HC which looks absolutely great!

(Let's be honest : I already got my comics... just haven't read any of them...)
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Did I miss a week?

Last week I bought Stray Bullets #39.

This week, nothing. it's rare, but it happens.

Does anyone else have the problem of very off balance weeks to their comic buying? I've had four weeks so far in October with five comics over the four weeks. Next week, I've got seven scheduled according to Diamond. I'd like a little balance. And yes, this is fanboy whining. But I know it. And this IS a comic book forum. Anyway, I am aware of the fifth week schedulings and some of my books are specials so there is that, but still.

Anyway, I feel better. Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I wonder if i can discuss about Japanese manga in this thread
    Anything is OK, but I'd hope it would be current publications.

Picked up Flash #57 and Action #1004, that was it for me yesterday!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

JESSICA JONES TP BLIND SPOT (Kelly Thompson's continuation of the Brian Bendis character. I liked her Hawkeye, which makes this look like a good bet.)
    MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #11 (Some Ben/Reed interaction. The continuity fanboy in me hopes this fits in well with FF)
    DOOM PATROL #12 (Hopefully worth a single issue tying up a series marred by lateness.)
    GREEN LANTERN HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SPECIAL #1 (I'm guessing Snagglepuss sequel. And Snagglepuss sequel is fun to say.)
    HEROES IN CRISIS #2 (A literal lottery ticket. it could be awesome, or it could be that time and money you'll never get back. Even moreso than the usual unsureness.)

It's the biggest week of a five week month. It's as many books this week as the rest of October combined. Looking at this, I see two series ending (or very soon ending), a oneshot, a mini, and a first graphic novel in what may be a series. Certainly not the 20th century model for comic book production anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    HEROES IN CRISIS #2 (A literal lottery ticket. it could be awesome, or it could be that time and money you'll never get back. Even moreso than the usual unsureness.)
    The concept of this sounded great, and I'm a huge Tom King fanboy, so I subscribed to this on Comixology before it came out. Eagerly came home from work and read it, and...my goodness, I was disappointed. Between that and the latest issue of Batman ('Story? We don't need no steenkin' story!'), I'm hoping King isn't hitting a bad patch.

From 10/31/2018, The Wild Storm #18.

While it wasn't exactly the "Arc Wrap Up" that I thought it would be, it was probably better than what I had envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The concept of this sounded great, and I'm a huge Tom King fanboy, so I subscribed to this on Comixology before it came out. Eagerly came home from work and read it, and...my goodness, I was disappointed. Between that and the latest issue of Batman ('Story? We don't need no steenkin' story!'), I'm hoping King isn't hitting a bad patch.
    I've heard some disparaging stuff about King's Batman work, but have only read a short Joker story in a giveaway book which I did like. I'm loving Mister Miracle and am sitting on Omega Men so my King love is still strong.

Evidently I haven't gotten out to the LCS yet. But supposedly in my box are:

THE GREEN LANTERN #1 (Grant Morrison, is my fanboy showing?)
    DR. STRANGE #7 (A series that need s a bulk reread by me. At least so I can get a handle on the Waid arc by the time lgy400 rolls around.)