Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What's the current status quo of The Spectre?

...and what would you like to see done with the character next?

I thought the retirement of Jim Corrigan was nicely handled and shouldn't be touched again.

I'm currently reading DeMatties/Sook/Breyfoggle's Spectre run with Hal Jordan and, while it is gorgeous and interesting thus far, the whole thing feels like a square peg being jammed into a triangle-shaped hole in ways that please no one.

Chrispin Allen seemed like a nice way to bring the character back to his roots while also updating him to today.

Has The Spectre appeared again since Blackest Night? That's the last I remember seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    ...and what would you like to see done with the character next?

I thought the retirement of Jim Corrigan was nicely handled and shouldn't be touched again.

I'm currently reading DeMatties/Sook/Breyfoggle's Spectre run with Hal Jordan and, while it is gorgeous and interesting thus far, the whole thing feels like a square peg being jammed into a triangle-shaped hole in ways that please no one.

Chrispin Allen seemed like a nice way to bring the character back to his roots while also updating him to today.

Has The Spectre appeared again since Blackest Night? That's the last I remember seeing him.
    I remember he was in New 52 Constantine and I think JL Dark
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I remember he was in New 52 Constantine and I think JL Dark
    Hopefully far far away from his New-52 origin... yeech!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Mighty Member

Gotham by Midnight. The Spectre was revealed to be a projection of Corrigan's vindictiveness as opposed to the wrath of god, and Corrigan himself may or may not be a wraith who has convinced himself that he's just a normal person with an affliction he didn't ask for instead of the direct source of The Spectre.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Gotham by Midnight. The Spectre was revealed to be a projection of Corrigan's vindictiveness as opposed to the wrath of god, and Corrigan himself may or may not be a wraith who has convinced himself that he's just a normal person with an affliction he didn't ask for instead of the direct source of The Spectre.
    Wait, what? Wasn't The Spectre working for God during Forever Evil Blight and Trinity of Sin?

DC Nation #5 profiled the big magic users in the DCU and listed the Spectre as currently being attached to Corrigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    He (and Jim Corrigan) got a slightly revised origin in the New52 with the Phantom Stranger being involved (hopefully that no longer applies!) and he also appeared in the New52 Gotham by Midnight series (where Corrigan was a central character).

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the casualties of Heroes' in Crisis was to become the Spectre in Peter J. Tomasi's new series

In this month’s DC Nation Tynion has recanonized Spectre as the Wrath of God and Jim Corrigan as the host.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In this month’s DC Nation Tynion has recanonized Spectre as the Wrath of God and Jim Corrigan as the host.
    RCO018 (1).jpg

It's a pretty cool list.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait, what? Wasn't The Spectre working for God during Forever Evil Blight and Trinity of Sin?
    You can't expect me to make sense of DC's continuity if they don't care to do it themselves. As you have seen in this very thread, this retcon has already been abolished.

Astonishing Member

Attached to cop Jim Corrigan.

But still historically having had been attached to Green Lantern dead Hal Jordan and maybe Det. Crispus Allen as well. My query - if Flashpoint timey-wimey shenanigans make it so Jim Corrigan is still somehow alive, does the Spectre itself have the freedom to be like "HA, WHAT TIMELINE?" and just go back to its original host?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

He will be a Green Lantern...A Golden Age Green Lantern...

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    RCO018 (1).jpg

It's a pretty cool list.
    Man, I love the visuals in this. Constnatine using Etrigan's fire to light his cigarette, Swamp Thing getting singed from Etrigan's fire, and Dr. Fate's expression saying "what is this @#$%" .

What does that board Zatanna is holding say? It almost looks like she's posing for a mugshot. It's also kind of weird that pretty much everyone else is in more traditional outfits while she's wearing her modern JLD costume, but I guess Fate's is modern too.
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Attached to cop Jim Corrigan.

But still historically having had been attached to Green Lantern dead Hal Jordan and maybe Det. Crispus Allen as well. My query - if Flashpoint timey-wimey shenanigans make it so Jim Corrigan is still somehow alive, does the Spectre itself have the freedom to be like "HA, WHAT TIMELINE?" and just go back to its original host?
    I remember a few times where the spirit of the Specter got loose that it wanted to go back to Hal, particularly during Blackest Night.

I think it probably would have jumped to be with Corrigan again had he been alive (which I guess he is now).