Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

My love of DC's Golden Age characters came from Super Adventure Comics #61. This reprinted a few stories, but the one that really stood out for me was "The Unknown Soldier of Victory", the JLA/JSA/Seven Soldiers team-up from JLA 100. I loved the JSA and couldn't get enough of those JLA/JSA crossovers.
    My very first included an Earth-2 story too and I completely fell in love with that idea. I was in for JLA/JSA from day one.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

As if I didn't think Spider-Man was cool enough (was exposed to him through the cartoon) there was this cover with these awesome-mysteriously strange looking characters of Cloak and Dagger. I loved the C&D visual.

Soon after I started reading all the SM and C&D I could get my hands on.

Here is the first issue.

Tales of GI Joe #8. I remember seeing it in a corner store while on vacation in California. Read and examined it until it literally fell apart.

tales_of_gi_joe_v1_008.jpg
    Current Pulls for DC/Vertigo: Batman, Justice League
    Image: Manifest Destiny, East of West, Low, The Wicked & The Divine, Injection, Tokyo Ghost
    Valiant: Harbinger/Imperium
    Other: Letter 44, Lady Mechanika, Tarot

First comic I ever read - Transformers #7 - will never, ever sell it. Got the book when I was about six or seven.

What got me getting into comics was that these were dynamic creations with a past and I was curious how the past connected to the issue I had in my hands. I LOVE Cliffhanger issues and remember Venom: Lethal protector as Venom fell through a cave discovering a hidden city with the character proclaiming "WE've FALLEN THROUGH TIME!!!" and I remember going...at 11/12..what the fart? That's just...dumb. But had to get the next issue

Then I got into the older stuff. DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, read when I was 10/12 didnt do I for me. I thought it was dumb "WHY WOULD BATMAN QUIT?" - I reread the series later, when I was 15 and LOVED IT. Watchmen convinced me you get fantastic ideas through a comic. The type of ideas so meaty, so delicious you have to return to rethink and reread. Then Preacher as the book was better than most movies (stolen from Kevin Smith's intro but its true)

Then when I was 18 read Understanding Comics. and the behind the scenes creativity opened up.

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

I was just starting to read Super Hero books in 65(I was 10) and a friend of mine showed me this...

FF025.jpg

Spectacular Member

It is all because of 'Alan Ford'.