Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Red Hood: The Lost Days

for comics in general: sandman
    for superhero/cape comics: secret six

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kapit View Post
    First webcomic: Ctrl Alt Delete (God help me) by Tim Buckley, Age 17
    Hah! I think I was reading CAD before I read comics. I must have been in middle school when I started. I haven't gone to the site in a very long time, but apparently it is still running!

All-New Member

All-Star Comics #68 was the single issue that hooked me. I was very young and more familiar with 'Super Friends' than the 'Justice League' proper, yet I was thrilled. An alternate universe; ageing heroes; Power Girl; Commissioner Wayne!; a team split down the middle!

A few years later, COIE was explained as a necessary simplification of the DCU. Well, at 7 years of age, I coped just fine!

Fantastic Member

The first comic I read was The Death's Head Knight by John Byrne , and still have it .The comic that hooked me was Warlord issue 2 . Just loved the sci-fi and continue enjoy reading and collecting . Took a brake from collecting for a while to raise a family and got back into it a few years ago . And finished a few runs that I was into in the 80's . Ie Iro man and Conan .

59229_20060824165244_large.jpg

Superman calling Clark Kent a liar? I had to know more. For the next few years, Cary Bates was my favourite writer and Curt Swan my favourite artist.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    .... Cary Bates was my favourite writer and Curt Swan my favourite artist.
    Both Bates and Swan are MASSIVELY underrated by modern readers in my opinion. Bates' first couple of years on CAPTAIN ATOM were amazing.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

My firsts were a pair of coverless Joe Kubert comics, Tarzan 208 and Our Army at War 195. (My mother threw them out overnight, but I was still hooked.
    Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_195.jpgtarzan208.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygnome View Post
    for comics in general: sandman
    for superhero/cape comics: secret six

Hah! I think I was reading CAD before I read comics. I must have been in middle school when I started. I haven't gone to the site in a very long time, but apparently it is still running!
    It still is, and I was surprised to read the latest comics, which are a fairly standard but surprisingly well-done sci-fi action story. You can see it here; http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20140416

This is from the guy who gave us gems like this;

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/loss-e...ltdel-parodies

So, I came to comics quite late—I was certainly older than most here—and recently. Like many adult converts (and many ladies, I'd come to discover), I first discovered the graphic medium through Gaiman's Sandman collected editions. I was 18 or so. The first time I ever walked into a comics store also came at the instigation of a novelist. Two years ago I bought China Miéville's Dial H #1 from DC's second wave of New 52 titles. Though it's already been cancelled after its unconventional and generally unrecognized, if exceptional and truly unique, run, it launched me as a fan of the medium.

BANNED

My dad was and is still into Comics.. he had a bunch of these in the attic and he actually let me draw and color in them.. I don't think they were ever extremely valuable but they were extremely fun.

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Aaand now I feel old. It's like it was just yesterday when I was a punk teenager whining about that comic on the internet for ruining Spidey's origin forever. (I've since learned better).

1992+Shattershot+01.jpg

First comic I ever bought and read. I got it for 1 dollar and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

drop you.jpg

After many years this panel still remains to be single favorite in all of the X-men universe.

All-New Member

Spider-Boy #1. I saw it at a 7-11 when I was in 4th grade. Hey, I was a 90s kid! I loved those pouches though. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

5588_4_1.jpg

The earliest comics I remember owning were Australian reprints of Marvel titles. My favourites were the Avengers

My love of DC's Golden Age characters came from Super Adventure Comics #61. This reprinted a few stories, but the one that really stood out for me was "The Unknown Soldier of Victory", the JLA/JSA/Seven Soldiers team-up from JLA 100. I loved the JSA and couldn't get enough of those JLA/JSA crossovers.

But the comic that made me a lifelong fan and stopped me from quitting when I was about 8 years old was New Gods. I found 10 of the 11 Kirby issues for $1 a piece at my LCS and was completely blown away.