Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I think it was Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Was introduced to comics through my siblings
    Never could afford them, but they always purchased a few Archie and Harvey and D C books
    So I was reading and liking them a lot for years.

One day I walked into a fountain soda store and saw comics....... not just comics, but Marvel Comics
    I knew of the characters from the cartoons, but had no idea they had comics.
    I picked up Incredible Hulk 158 and Amazing Spider-Man 115 and Captain America #155 and Fantastic Four #129 and
    Invincible Iron Man #55 and Mighty Thor #207 and Avengers #108 and Defenders #5 and Sub-Mariner #53 and Marvel Team-Up #7
    over the next few visits and was hooked ever since.

I found my love for Marvel has been replaced with D C over the past twenty years.
    But nothing will ever replace the day I walked into that fountain shop.

Batman War Drums

Earth Defense Directorate buttler's Avatar

It was either an early issue of DC Comics Presents--I want to say #3, with Adam Strange--or the three-issue JLA arc with the Secret Society of Super-Villains swapping bodies with the JLA.

I mean, seriously, look at this Garcia-Lopez cover. How could I not be drawn in?

DC_Comics_Presents_3.jpg
    Blogging about Wonder Woman every Wednesday: theidiolect.com

BANNED

45_48058_0_GIJoeeighties1OperationLadyDoo.jpg

But my collecting REALLY took off in the early/mid 90s with

X-force volume 1 #25

First one I ever bought:

I had received a Superman book here, or a Dick Tracy reprint there, but THIS is what did it for me. I picked this up on a trip to 7-11, on the way to school, when I was six years old (this was back when you could still buy comics at convenient stores. I'm that old, kids.) , and I was transfixed by that cover. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I have never been the same since.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Geef; 07-12-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    CURRENTLY READING: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Descender, I Hate Fairyland, Paper Girls, Saga, Royal City, Goldie Vance, Dept. H, Black Hammer, Afterlife With Archie, Kaijumax, Super Sons

New X-Men: E Is For Extinction (TPB)

My first experience with comics. After this, I could not stop buying until the end of the run of New X-Men.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

No cover picture, sorry.

But Superman #341. Nov. 1979.

'Can the Man Of Steel outwit J. Wilbur Wolfingham (con man supreme)?'

Holy God, I'm old. Compared to the rest of you, anyway.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

The first comic I remember owning was Batman #250...

I was about 4 at the time, and the back up story resonated with me more than the lead story, but the one that sealed the deal for me, making me a lifetime comics fan was a few years later....

Avengers 162, the classic Bride of Ultron story which I read a over and over again when I was 8 and used to get tracing paper to trace all of Perez's work in it, especially the picture of Thor descending from the sky on the splash page.

-M

Spectacular Member

The first comics I remember reading were a couple of Spiderman issues my cousins happened to have on them when coming over to my house one time YEARS ago.

They were:

Sensational_Spider-Man_Vol_1_3.jpg Superman_vs_spiderman.jpg
    Sensational Spiderman #3 and Superman Vs. Spiderman.

Yeah, I started reading comics in the thick of the Spiderman Clone Saga. Maybe that's why I have an affinity for Ben Reilly and wish Marvel would bring him back lol.

As for the first comic I ever OWNED? Not sure which came first, but I got both of these around the same time.
    I bought myself a copy of Spiderman #1
    Spider-Man1GoldUPC.jpg
    And was given a copy of Superman Issue 47 (The Wedding Album) by my cousin.

My daddy had a relatively small collection of comics, and included in them was this issue of Superman - except, his copy didn't have a front cover on it. Reading his comic books is what got me started with comic books, and this issue of Superman was the comic book that got me to reading superhero comic books.

It wasn't my favorite comic book, nor even my favorite superhero comic book, but it's the one that snagged my interest, which then only expanded exponentially.

This also reminds me that I started a comic book blog, last year, and I seem to have managed to allow myself to get sidetracked from keeping it going. I had posted about this particular issue of Superman on it, and this jarred my memory about it.
    Last edited by CharlesM; 07-27-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    This reprinted a few stories, but the one that really stood out for me was "The Unknown Soldier of Victory", the JLA/JSA/Seven Soldiers team-up from JLA 100. I loved the JSA and couldn't get enough of those JLA/JSA crossovers.
    Amen. I loved that storyline.