Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Default Weapon X 24 Discussion

The Recap -for those who want it.
    spoilers:
    We open with the preview pages of Suggs,, Allerdyce, and Lykos who are talking about Stryker, just before he attacks them. Sauron isn't a mutant, but he associates with them, which is just as bad. Cutting back to Weapon X, we get the team waking up in the cell, and being told to chose their weapons for the game. Creed apologizes to M for getting her into a bigger mess. He also apologizes for not being their for her when she was in trouble, saying she was one of the few to be decent to him & work with him when everyone thought he was faking being good. Monet tells him it's not his fault, she was a monster. Nobody understands being a monster better than him, all the more reason he should've been there. He just wants to say -but Omega Red speaks up that Monet isn't controlled anymore, and now they all can die free. Monet sarcastically says that sounds better.

Deadpool says they aren't gonna die. Domino has luck, and the rest have their healing factors. Plus they're all in other books -until he realizes that's only true for him & Domino.He then says to forget he said anything. They leave their cell and enter an arena where the cult members cheer at the sacrifices. The battle begins, with the 3 guys from the beginning returning, under Mentallo's control like Monet was -along with dozens of other mutants. An all-out battle progresses with Stryker returning and mentioning his new master likes a show before the sacrifice. He orders the cult to cast their lot and throw Weapon X-Force into the pit. Creed apologizes to M again, who tells him to stop & think of a plan or she'll throw him into the pit. Creed comes up with the plan of using their Nuke Pills. Yuriko tosses them to Domino, who shoots them, and her luck powers kicking in spreads the pills into enough pieces for everyone to take. With everyone's brain in being so erratic, Mentallo loses his hold on the cult with numerous members attacking him and Stryker before Sauron is able to blast through the building & let everyone run to safety before an ensuing explosion from battered cyborg.

All the mutants are safe, and Suggs says he owes Creed one, which is good, because Creed has a job for him. They're all gonna go back & kill Stryker once and for all. Domino says Warpath would talk about how they don't kill. Sauron says he doesn't see Warpath around. "Yeah. Neither do I", says Monet as she smiles & touches Creed's shoulder. Creed says he loves this team, as he & Monet lead Weapon X-Force, Sauron, and around 11 other mutants back to take down Stryker.
    end of spoilers
    My recap may be flawed. I ordered the book, but it won't be here until this afternoon at best or later this week. So I read it online, and the quality wasn't the best. So apologies if I got anything wrong.

Overall, this was a good read. Aside from Deadpool's occasional antics at the start, there wasn't much silliness in this chapter. Nobody had cringey dialogue that made you wanna tear your eyes out. There was a slightly silly moment with Mentallo telling everyone "Just say no!" when they're taking the Nuke Pills. lol

The art was great in some places, and not too great in others. It was Pizzari's first issue with the characters. So it's easy to see him as not finding his groove yet. After all, Cinar's art kicked ass, but was not good in a lot of spots his first issue (12). So I reserve heavy judgement on art until next month's issue.

The only flaws I can see is the idea Warpath is some pacifist against killing. And while Pak addresses Creed's guilt over leaving Monet, it hasn't been answered why he left her in the first place.

But this was good, Best issue we had after chapter 18, for me,
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-04-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

I did not recognize any of the mutants that Mentallo was attacking them with other than the 3 from the beginning

Comics & Music Enthusiast NerdyDJ's Avatar

So when and how did OG Pyro get back? I like him being back it gives me hope that they aren't gonna villainize Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I did not recognize any of the mutants that Mentallo was attacking them with other than the 3 from the beginning
    I thought I saw Ramrod and Frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyDJ View Post
    So when and how did OG Pyro get back? I like him being back it gives me hope that they aren't gonna villainize Simon.
    Necrosha. He showed up as a brief villain in Sina's first Iceman series.

I've never paid attention to this book before, but these last few issues were fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I've never paid attention to this book before, but these last few issues were fun.
    I think so too. It's a record. That makes 3 good, though flawed, chapters in a row. 19-21 were ok, but a bit heavy on silliness.

Speaking of that. I didn't notice it at first, but Deadpool has hearts in his eyes & is swooning at someone here.
    WX 24 (5).jpg
    I think it's probably Creed, given the scene. But very random, even for Deadpool since Sabretooth is one character he's consistently hated. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-03-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Ultimate Member

I don't know if the writer really went that deep into the characters histories to know that honestly...

I thought the comic was highly enjoyable. In particular, I enjoyed the interactions between Creed and Monet, as well as Deadpool's comedy lines. Can't say that I recognized the reinforcement mutants other than Sauron and the others that Stryker attacked to start the issue.

I just wish that the comic would continue on without being canceled. I really enjoy all the characters in this line up. And it is nice to see the Monet/ Sabretooth story being told in three different comic series now. You don't always get that kind of continuity among different comic books. A lot of times new writers take over characters, they just ignore the previous writer's work on characters.

Does every powerset need to be boiled down to healing factor? First Warpath, then Lady Deathstrike, then Mystique, then Monet. Warpath and Monet are bulletproof, Lady Deathstrike has cybernetic bodyparts, Mystique has malleable physiology. Does everyone need to a Wolverine?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I thought the comic was highly enjoyable. In particular, I enjoyed the interactions between Creed and Monet, as well as Deadpool's comedy lines. Can't say that I recognized the reinforcement mutants other than Sauron and the others that Stryker attacked to start the issue.

I just wish that the comic would continue on without being canceled. I really enjoy all the characters in this line up. And it is nice to see the Monet/ Sabretooth story being told in three different comic series now. You don't always get that kind of continuity among different comic books. A lot of times new writers take over characters, they just ignore the previous writer's work on characters.
    Still iffy on whether it's being cancelled. Or if it's just gonna get relaunched in another volume, or as another book. Sadly, we gotta wait until this month's solicits at best, or the NYCC. Everyone is tight-lipped on what's coming. And it seems if it was gonna end issue 27, why be secretive about it? Strain announced GenX being cancelled on twitter. So it doesn't seem to be against any rules. There's also the issue 27 solicit where it says everything changes there, rather than saying things are gonna end there.

I still enjoy the Creed/Monet dynamic too. It's different from Bunn, who wrote them as more ribbing with UST. Pak, on the other hand, toned down the teasing & snark. Creed is more awkward with her -probably due to shame. And in turn, she's less icy with him. Both Uncanny & Weapon X show different takes on the bond where it's hard to really measure.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-06-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Not really feeling this Sabretooth/Monet stuff. When they first met back in the Phalanx storyline she was only sixteen, just 3 years older than Jubilee at the time(I remember this because I had this Generation X special book). I know she's an adult now, but I can't stop seeing her as a peer of Jubilee(whose also an adult or should be). I won't say Logan because he always treated Jubilee as a daughter, but imagine if Jubilee and Gambit became a thing... that's how I feel about Creed and Monet.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

It saddens me that there don't seem to be many fans of this book because I've developed a soft spot for it. It reminds me a lot of Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts. It's a lot of fun and has great character moments for villains who don't normally get them. I particularly enjoy the ending when Victor basically says "Wait a minute, why are we leaving? Let's go kill this guy while we have the chance."

Also, despite how you feel about it, I appreciate getting closure on Victor and Monet's relationship as Bunn's Uncanny run is super underappreciated.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Not really feeling this Sabretooth/Monet stuff. When they first met back in the Phalanx storyline she was only sixteen, just 3 years older than Jubilee at the time(I remember this because I had this Generation X special book). I know she's an adult now, but I can't stop seeing her as a peer of Jubilee(whose also an adult or should be). I won't say Logan because he always treated Jubilee as a daughter, but imagine if Jubilee and Gambit became a thing... that's how I feel about Creed and Monet.
    I always say to wait, before anyone gets excited (shippers lol), or upset (non-shippers). Because the relationship has been vague enough as to where everything so far can be seen as romantic or platonic -depending on your preference

I'd like for them to be a thing, but recognize they may not be. Pak could very well write them as having a sibling or friendship love for each other -and everything that seemed like possible romance was just a red-herring. lol

Writers are some of the biggest trolls that way. You should've seen the shit-storm on the Naruto forums when he ended up with Hinata instead of Sakura, despite the "evidence" that he'd win over the latter.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-04-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    When you are old as Sabretooth and Wolverine it makes little difference, they could've had a parental relationship with Jean, Scott, Storm, Xavier or even Magneto for the same money