Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men Black: Magneto Review/Spoilers

Let's pick up from after the preview ends.

A bunch of bigots are talking about how muties should just get screwed and Erik tries to discuss with them but is reviled as a mutie lover, until young Kate interferes and talks about him being a Holocaust survivor. Which makes the rednecks even more suspicious since he looks, y'know, quite good despite his supposed age. Anyway, he exits the diner and is about to kill them until Kate comes to talk to him and he gives up on it.

Flashback to the previous day, where Erik is in a danger room session fighting the X-Men without safety protocols engaged and he gets hurt, prompting Nanny to stop the simulation. Briar tells him about the detention camps and Erik decides to deal with it despite being hurt. Flashforward to current day and he attacks the place, almost being taken out by a O.N.E. sentinel. When he takes the robot apart, he sees it's piloted by a girl who reminds him of Kate, Kitty Pryde and his deceased daughter. He proceeds to try and convince the kids in the camp to go with him and they answer they should stay and fight for their ideals, since the USA was founded on such principles. Erik isn't having that and lifts the whole thing into Asteroid M. The O.N.E. agents discuss how they almost took him out and next time they'll be ready for him. Issue ends with a little drawing Erik sends Kate of them both being BFFs in space (I'm actually not totally sure if it's an adult Kate or her mom, but the latter seems unlikely)

The Apocalypse story is about him trying to hitch a new body, with a bunch of previous subjects already dead, but his machine overloads and sends him to what's either another dimension or planet. He fights and kills a weird alien and realizes, to his dismay, that his powers are vanishing and he's becoming a flatscan.

REVIEW: Forgive me if I was too brief. Just tried to put the essentials here and not make the OP bothersome to read through. Claremont's part was quite good, despite the kids talking to Erik being a little heavy handed. The art's not that good, but not really a problem for the most part. Erik's well written and his moments with Kate are pretty sweet, particularly the end with the drawing he sent to her. The part with the O.N.E. soldiers is naturally to tease a future conflict between them and Magneto and the pilot girl seems quite eager to kill Erik. Humans, amirite?! Anyway, I liked this, even if Claremont hasn't been my cup of tea for years.

The Apocalypse story is OK as a starting point. I'm curious to see how Apoc will get out of this pickle. He's written well enough here, as he looks quite anxious to get his new body and now truly desperate with his new reality. Borges' art is pretty good.

Overall, X-Men Black started well enough. Let's wait and see what future issues hold.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

A good article about the Apocalypse story:

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-black-magn...an-apocalypse/
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Amazing issue (the Magneto part) IMO. The reference to Uncanny X-Men 150 was nice.

For the Apocalypse part, it looks like we might be right about the Age of X-Man. Apocalypse will take possession of X-Man's body like Psylurker said.

BANNED

Just tell me apoc. isn't going after Scott's body & i'll be okay with it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really enjoyed both Magneto's story and Apocalypse's. The first one sells me on "Magneto is back to being a villain" if he's continued to be written like this. But then again he doesn't seem to be making more appearances just yet - fingers crossed he ends up in whatever Claremont is doing next in the X-books.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Just tell me apoc. isn't going after Scott's body & i'll be okay with it.
    Looked like he was just going through whatever bodies he could find. Other being physically intimidating men with maybe a tan complexion, they didn't seem to be anything special.

Now, the thing about Apocalypse is, well, we haven't seen him in a pretty long time. We've seen alternative versions and Evan, but the real Nur hasn't been seen sonce he was taken by the Celestials.

So is this Evan? The real Apocalypse?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Looked like he was just going through whatever bodies he could find. Other being physically intimidating men with maybe a tan complexion, they didn't seem to be anything special.

Now, the thing about Apocalypse is, well, we haven't seen him in a pretty long time. We've seen alternative versions and Evan, but the real Nur hasn't been seen sonce he was taken by the Celestials.

So is this Evan? The real Apocalypse?
    It's definitely the real one, I'm almost sure Evan is still depowered or at least in the school. But Nur hasn't been seen since that kid version of him in X-Force, I think.

The Magneto story was amazing!

I really enjoyed this issue, but I really wish they would explain why Apocalypse is back. He's my favorite X-Men villain and I'm getting tired of how they keep killing him and he just comes back with no explanation. Is Evan Sabahnur still around?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by New_Canaanite View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue, but I really wish they would explain why Apocalypse is back. He's my favorite X-Men villain and I'm getting tired of how they keep killing him and he just comes back with no explanation. Is Evan Sabahnur still around?
    In school probably.

So now there's two Apocalypses?

The US was founded on those ideals?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by New_Canaanite View Post
    So now there's two Apocalypses?
    Until we see more on Evan, yep.

We've seen in some of the art for upcoming arcs that Evan may at least still exist as his own person, so that is important to remember. Evan was always a clone, though we know that Apocalypse has used clone bodies before, that's how we got the first kidApocalypse in the first place.

It was great despite the art

Extraordinary Member

I actually liked the art, especially what was in the Apocalypse mini.