Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The story with Magneto was good and addressed the theme of prejudice regarding mutants based on modern problems and making a comparison to past events in the history of mankind. The story portrayed the duality of Magneto that marks his soul and his actions. He recognizes the best and the worst that humanity has to offer and although willing to extremes to protect mutants he still have hope when meets young people like that girl.

The low point is that do not see anything innovative in Magneto plans with the return of Asteroid M and his intentions to seek refuge or threaten the planet in space again.

Apocalypse will return soon. I wonder what this means to Evan ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    The story with Magneto was good and addressed the theme of prejudice regarding mutants based on modern problems and making a comparison to past events in the history of mankind. The story portrayed the duality of Magneto that marks his soul and his actions. He recognizes the best and the worst that humanity has to offer and although willing to extremes to protect mutants he still have hope when meets young people like that girl.

The low point is that do not see anything innovative in Magneto plans with the return of Asteroid M and his intentions to seek refuge or threaten the planet in space again.

Apocalypse will return soon. I wonder what this means to Evan ?
    Well, we knew Evan wasn't going to last as a character and he's honestly been around way longer than I thought he would be. I seriously thought he'd die in AXIS.

However, it might simply be that Apocalypse ignores him or doesn't attack him because the writers forget about him...which would be fine! Seriously, writers, leave Evan alone.

That being said, Evan is a young clone of Apocalypse, so this will probably end like kidLoki.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    The Magneto story was amazing!
    With top notch art, it would have been a minor masterpiece. Well done Lord Claremont!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Youd think they would give a Claremont Magneto stpry better art.

I wish we knew if this was the Apocalypse that left on a Celestial ship into space or another version.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

The Magneto story was alright despite some Claremont's clunky dialogue and terrible art

BANNED

The Magneto Story was really good, I liked the discussion he had with the little Girl very well done. I didn't like the simulation Magneto had with the X-men, but it was nicely put together.

What made me go "Seriously" was when Magneto freed the children and told that Woman who piloted the Sentinel and her comrades that these children did nothing to deserve this, and she goes "did you see that. I hurt him" really lady? Did you hear nothing Magneto said? LOL

Anyway, this was very good a few things didn't like, but very good. And to the Apocalypse story nice :-)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    The Magneto Story was really good, I liked the discussion he had with the little Girl very well done. I didn't like the simulation Magneto had with the X-men, but it was nicely put together.

What made me go "Seriously" was when Magneto freed the children and told that Woman who piloted the Sentinel and her comrades that these children did nothing to deserve this, and she goes "did you see that. I hurt him" really lady? Did you hear nothing Magneto said? LOL

Anyway, this was very good a few things didn't like, but very good. And to the Apocalypse story nice :-)
    That's Marvel's humans in general, for you. It's beating muties first, everything else later.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, if I was that lady, I'd be sort of stoked that I got in a good shot at Magneto. I think most people would find that something to be proud of. Sure, he could have murdered her, but it was still a good shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I don't know, if I was that lady, I'd be sort of stoked that I got in a good shot at Magneto. I think most people would find that something to be proud of. Sure, he could have murdered her, but it was still a good shot.
    Yeah, but you can at least acknowledge that MAYBE what Magneto said was right. I mean she could said “Hmm he may be right, but guys I just surprised Magneto”. You can still gloat AND acknowledge when your wrong at the same time is all I’m saying.

Finally something i could enjoy after so much crap in Blue and Gold (Red is still good in my books), though i wonder what is the build up with Apocalypse to be? I mean obviously they are trying to rehash his creed of only the strong survive with him having to prove it on that hostile world but what could be the end game i wonder.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but you can at least acknowledge that MAYBE what Magneto said was right. I mean she could said “Hmm he may be right, but guys I just surprised Magneto”. You can still gloat AND acknowledge when your wrong at the same time is all I’m saying.
    She is working at a concentration camp for mutant kids. She's working security, actually. Me thinks she might just not like mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Finally something i could enjoy after so much crap in Blue and Gold (Red is still good in my books), though i wonder what is the build up with Apocalypse to be? I mean obviously they are trying to rehash his creed of only the strong survive with him having to prove it on that hostile world but what could be the end game i wonder.
    Apocalypse, despite being not around for a good part of a decade, is actually coming into a really interesting world.

Remender's work gave him a more substantial purpose in the greater MU, the Celestials are regaining prominence as a whole and Aaron is doing some real interesting -if confusing-stuff with them, and there are multiple characters with Death Seeds running around. You also have Evan, though please, sweet Marvel Gods, leave him alone! Oh, and Scott is dead and Cable has had a bit of spotlight recently.

What I mean is, there's a lot they can do with him right now.

A great read. Claremont is back! I hope he has more projects from Marvel for 2019 and beyond.

The art wasn't bad per se, but I hate old "McKellen-esque" Magneto. If an artist is going to reference a movie-verse Mags, why not Fassbender? But the art otherwise was fine. The comic was a good read, well-balanced between action and talk. And it's Chris Claremont, so I expect beautifully-written dialogue and exposition.

As to Magneto's characterization, I've made plenty of posts regarding the stupid decision by Marvel to dumb-down Magneto and put him back on Asteroid M with a lame Brotherhood (called "evil" because? all the characters are back in 3rd grade?) and his underpants-on-the-outside costume. 14 years of growth going down the drain. HOWEVER, given this is the status that Chris Claremont had to work with, he did a masterful job portraying his Mags--i.e. the Magneto of the last 14 years and fitting him into Marvel's new direction. As CC has done before, he makes the best of the situation. And as usual, CC gives us new characters to care about; i.e., Kate. (I miss Shola and Karima, Wicked and Freakshow, et. al.)

I'm still expecting the worst for Magneto in future X-Men comics, but at least X-MEN BLACK: MAGNETO very much ameliorated the awful place Magneto was left in X-MEN BLUE.

Fantastic Member

I have to get this off my chest.

I do not see Magneto as the kind of guy who totes around Tolkien. It may be Claremont's reading choice but I have a hard time imagining it as Magneto's. I see Magneto as a guy who would read Kafka or Dostoevsky.

This is to me another example of Claremont's whimsy - his not stopping to think about who these characters are.
    Last edited by Marvelman; 10-05-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I have to get this off my chest.

I do not see Magneto as the kind of guy who totes around Tolkien. It may be Claremont's reading choices but I have a hard time imagining them as Magneto's. I see Magneto as a guy who would read Kafka or Dostoevsky.

This is to me another example of Claremont's whimsy - his not stopping to think about who these characters are.
    Ya, from what I've gathered in a few interviews Claremont really doesn't care what other writers have done with the character. I've also gathered that Claremont was not a fan of Bunn's Magneto, who I personally thought was one of the best portayals.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GigaBalls View Post
    Ya, from what I've gathered in a few interviews Claremont really doesn't care what other writers have done with the character. I've also gathered that Claremont was not a fan of Bunn's Magneto, who I personally thought was one of the best portayals.
    Bunn's work with Magneto is one of my favorites! In fact, I've just loved the little story Bunn had managed to create the past few years! He's so underrated.