View Poll Results: Which Wally do you like better?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justice League Wally

43 60.56%
  • Young Justice Wally

28 39.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Justice League for me.
    Young Justice did a great job with Wally, but it was a just step backwards for the character (who even in animation, has been the Flash longer than Barry Allen) being downgraded to Kid Flash.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

YJ cause we got to see more about his life outside superheroing compared to JL

I really don't see where people get YJ Wally being a jerk from.

Sure he was abrasive to Artemis sometimes, and was generally pretty cocky, but I don't remember him being an A-hole all the time.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really don't see where people get YJ Wally being a jerk from.

Sure he was abrasive to Artemis sometimes, and was generally pretty cocky, but I don't remember him being an A-hole all the time.
    I agree. He was pretty similar to JL Wally except that he was a bit more immature and acted....well like a teenager.

But I definitely don't remember him acting like a jerk. That was Superboy's job there.

As for Artemis, she was much more abrasive to him and was usually yelling at him to stop being annoying and grow up. Which was fun to watch.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    As for Artemis, she was much more abrasive to him and was usually yelling at him to stop being annoying and grow up. Which was fun to watch.
    They were equally prickly around each other, which was part of their dynamic before they fell for each other.

BANNED

I prefer the JL wally for being the first one and only flash in the animated verse. no Barry. his speeding motion and movement was the best to capture the feel of running at super speed imo. the scene of wally running in the morphing eye of the Martian manhunter is especially glorious to watch in the title track whereas I liked the romance between young Justice wally and Artemis as the JL show didn't really gave him a love interest. however I also liked the adaption of the vandal savage heart delivery episode from the comics and I don't feel that any specific flash comic story arcs were adopted for the original series.

I can see where people thought Wally was a jerk in YJ, but "jerk" is kind of an ambiguous term.

He was basically the comic relief silly boy character, equivalent to Beast Boy in Teen Titans, or even Flash in JLU, but whereas Beast Boy and Flash were just goofy, Kid Flash's constant attempts to flirt with and impress every girl in the show got extremely grating, really fast. He did get better, mostly because he stopped doing that, but JLU Flash started in almost as good a place as YJ Kid Flash eventually got, and wound up miles and miles better, considering episodes like "Flash and Substance".
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I can see where people thought Wally was a jerk in YJ, but "jerk" is kind of an ambiguous term.

He was basically the comic relief silly boy character, equivalent to Beast Boy in Teen Titans, or even Flash in JLU, but whereas Beast Boy and Flash were just goofy, Kid Flash's constant attempts to flirt with and impress every girl in the show got extremely grating, really fast. He did get better, mostly because he stopped doing that, but JLU Flash started in almost as good a place as YJ Kid Flash eventually got, and wound up miles and miles better, considering episodes like "Flash and Substance".
    I dunno, I think DCAU Flash flirted as much as YJ Kid Flash did .

I dunno, I think DCAU Flash flirted as much as YJ Kid Flash did .
    Maybe he did and there was just less of a sense that everyone he flirted with was completely disgusted or embarrassed by his flirting, and that just made it stick in my mind less. I still think it's a crucial difference between the two, at least regarding season 1 of YJ. Season 2 obviously doesn't have that problem so much - unfortunately because Wally is barely even in it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I had to give it to JL Wally, that’s part of where it started for me. I remember as a kid just waiting for that show every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Maybe he did and there was just less of a sense that everyone he flirted with was completely disgusted or embarrassed by his flirting, and that just made it stick in my mind less. I still think it's a crucial difference between the two, at least regarding season 1 of YJ. Season 2 obviously doesn't have that problem so much - unfortunately because Wally is barely even in it.
    Honestly, I feel like that was more pronounced in the DCAU then it was with YJ!Wally. I feel like the girls humored him more in the latter case, but I haven't re-watched the show in a while.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

YJ Wally because he was actually Wally. JLU Wally was mostly a one note joke character who was barely referenced as being anyone other than "the Flash," his civilian life barely got touched upon. Wally kind of depends on his time as Kid Flash and having Barry as his mentor along with other assorted characters to be fully fleshed out. Lifting all that out besides a brief appearance from Linda did him no favors.

YJ Wally may not have been the Flash (yet?), but if he ever dons the mantle he will have more of the necessary stuff surrounding him and in his history.

Definitely the Justice League version Wally for me.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Honestly, I feel like that was more pronounced in the DCAU then it was with YJ!Wally. I feel like the girls humored him more in the latter case, but I haven't re-watched the show in a while.
    One of the best scenes ever.

"Cause I'm a stud." lol
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm surprised JL Wally is being so heavily favored.

JL Wally was my first exposure to the character as a child. I found him annoying at first, then he grew on me. The visuals of his costume and entertaining power-set helped. I delved into the Flash mythos and he became my favorite character ever.

But the more I read, the more I started to fall in love with a much more nuanced character and diminish in my opinion of JL Wally. A guy who, as a boy, was isolated and alienated as children so often are. A kid who's amazing dream came true and fulfilled his destiny to fill the boots of the hero he always idolized. A man who knew about legacy, about loss, about friendships, and about being a hero. A man who thought a lot about himself and his fellow heroes, and was as frustrated and a bit hot-headed as often as he was lighthearted and jovial.

Now a show about the whole League can't go into all of those details. Young Justice wasn't showing a ton of his backstory either. But YJ Wally felt like a more well-rounded person. Sure, he had his moments of brashness and immaturity. But he also showed a serious attitude towards protecting his friends, a capacity to overcome internal insecurities, and a rational down-to-Earth outlook. Not to mention the capacity to love. He showed more maturity in YJ than adult Wally ever did in JL, which is a shame considering the depth other characters were given. And he just felt more like, well, Wally from the comics.

In fact, in retrospect, I believe that JL's treatment of Wally West has created a widespread misconception that the Flash is a comic relief character. It's a belief that I shed with every page by Wolfman or Baron or Waid or Johns that I read. Sure, he jokes from time to time. Sure, he's less serious than some of the more stoic JL members. But he's hardly, if ever, written as a buffoon or a clown. And that misconception has affected not only depictions of the Flash in other media, but is circling back to how writers like Scott Snyder write Barry or the Flash in general in the comics.

JL Wally definitely had his moments, some subtle and some more pronounced, but ultimately, they failed to capture the essence of the character (or nearly did) by failing to balance his personality traits. I think YJ did that much better despite having a younger character surrounded by other young characters.