Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Best Transformers comic to read from recent years for a new reader?

Hi everyone, I was watching a video (I forget which) about the Bumblebee movie and there was a picture of a comic strip. I found the art to be gorgeous and growing up to G1 and Beast Wars, I felt like reading leaning more towards a limited series.

I just ask that it's from the last few years as I am not a fan of the older drawings (sorry comic vets) and I really love newer art work.

Thank you.

I'd start with the first IDW hardcover (or the series in it: Megatron Origin and Infiltration). Just fun Transformers war story stuff. I've seen some people recommend starting with More than Meets the Eye, but I was lost trying to pick up the story there.

Well this isn't a good time to be jumping into TF comics with the current universe ending next month and getting rebooted next year.

If you want a great read that isn't too continuity heavy, I would suggest the Wreckers trilogy, Last Stand of the Wreckers; Sins of the Wreckers and Requiem of the Wreckers, all now collected in Transformers: The Wreckers Saga.

More than Meets the Eye is also good (well season 1 is, season 2 is okay but it starts going down hill).

IDW is quite continuity heavy especially once John Barber gets involved. Also don't be afraid to check out the old Marvel stuff, you might like it.
    Last edited by leokearon; 10-22-2018 at 04:19 AM.

Mighty Member

Define "recent" years.

I would recommend "Last Stand of the Wreckers". ("Sins of..." and "Requiem for..." have a bit more Tumblr-floof than comics need.) Costa's run enrages fans, which is worth a few points unto itself. ("Police Action" is the best of his run.) "Til All are One" is floofy in places, but is probably one of the better redemption arcs from the franchise.

Various issues/compilations of "Spotlight" are worth reading, if you are willing to track down single issues stories.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I've been loving the Transformers Unicron series that is winding up the current continuity. It's looked great and is a lot of fun. But I agree with leokearon, if you want to start fresh early next year will be the time to do it.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-5/

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I've been loving the Transformers Unicron series that is winding up the current continuity. It's looked great and is a lot of fun. But I agree with leokearon, if you want to start fresh early next year will be the time to do it.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-5/
    The Unicron series is good but it's no On the Edge of Extinction. The pacing is ll over the place, but Milne's art is fantastic and I love the interviews at the back, epsecially Nick Roche's one

1) All Hail Megatron series
    2) Death of Optimus Prime #1
    3) Transformers/TF:Robots in Disguise & TF: More than Meets the Eye series

Everything before All Hail Megatron is sort of a bore and everything after RiD and MtMtE became not as great with the shared Hasbroverse.

I read the phase 1 of the IDW Transformers and it was fantastic - worth reading from the beginning in my opinion. I haven't touched phase 2 yet, but somebody (I think Balakin...) said that it was better than phase 1.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I read the phase 1 of the IDW Transformers and it was fantastic - worth reading from the beginning in my opinion. I haven't touched phase 2 yet, but somebody (I think Balakin...) said that it was better than phase 1.
    In my opinion, it is infinitely better than Phase 1

IDW Transformers is done. Finished strong with Transformers Unicron #6. Hopefully they get a good reboot going, and I'd love to see Alex Milne keep doing the art.
    https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-6/

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    IDW Transformers is done. Finished strong with Transformers Unicron #6. Hopefully they get a good reboot going, and I'd love to see Alex Milne keep doing the art.
    https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...ers-unicron-6/
    Not quite there is still Optimus Prime #25 out next week.

Also so far, it seems whoever will be doing the reboot will be brand new as so far, most of the current writers and artists have said they aren't returning.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    2) Death of Optimus Prime #1
    3) Transformers/TF:Robots in Disguise & TF: More than Meets the Eye series

Everything before All Hail Megatron is sort of a bore and everything after RiD and MtMtE became not as great with the shared Hasbroverse.

Pretty much this. The Last Stand of the Wreckers is OK. It's good but it's not great by any standards, and the amount of fanservice in it is insane, and at times takes away from the story. The art style that artist Nick Roche uses in it is just God-awful. His artwork in Transformers Spotlight: Megatron, Sins of the Wreckers and Requiem of the Wreckers are a VAST improvement and might be some of the best from IDW.

Transformers: Windblade vol. 1 #1-4 Artist Sarah Stone is the first and only artist to mix the classic G1 and Animated/Prime designs and makes them look great and not goofy or stupid like everybody else who tried that before her did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Pretty much this. The Last Stand of the Wreckers is OK. It's good but it's not great by any standards, and the amount of fanservice in it is insane, and at times takes away from the story. The art style that artist Nick Roche uses in it is just God-awful. His artwork in Transformers Spotlight: Megatron, Sins of the Wreckers and Requiem of the Wreckers are a VAST improvement and might be some of the best from IDW.

Transformers: Windblade vol. 1 #1-4 Artist Sarah Stone is the first and only artist to mix the classic G1 and Animated/Prime designs and makes them look great and not goofy or stupid like everybody else who tried that before her did.
    I have to disagree about everything you said about Last Stand. It is one of the best stories which saved the TF comics which were stinking with Mike Costa's run. Roche's art is fantastic, the characterisation is top notch and it used a lot of TFs that never got a chance to shine before.

Also All Hail Megatron is an awful series, a terrible ride of Retro Nostalgia which pretty much ignores everything that had gone before and introduced us to the awful Spike Witwicky.

To me one of the worst transformers comics. It was so bad it got me to dump the idw transformers! Was going to come back with the follow up to the marvel comics series only to find out it was a remake of All Hail Megatron!

Astonishing Member

How long do you think will it take to reach the IDW Collections last book? I mean, there is a ton of stuff out there, so how many HC will there be? The rebooted universe starts soon, and i am currently at IDW Collection 7, so when i reach the rebooted universe i will be an old man.

Sigh, hard to catch up to. I was to late to the party