Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quite a while by the looks of it, Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 9 is scheduled for June of next year and it is only at Combiner Wars

Ultimate Member

Who ever thought there'd be such a freakin' selection of excellent stories?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Who ever thought there'd be such a freakin' selection of excellent stories?
    Well TFs as always had a great selection of stories, IDW just added to the list

This weekend, I started digging into the IDW Transformers after ignoring it for over 10 years. I'm having a blast with it. So far, I've read up to 'Revenge of the Decepticons' (The Transformers #13-18). If 'All Hail Megatron' is the low point of IDW TFs, then I don't expect to be disappointed from here on out (though I definitely had problems with how AHM handled certain aspects of Furman's initial run).
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member

So, what was so bad about All Hail Megatron?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    So, what was so bad about All Hail Megatron?
    Sorry for the late reply; don't know if you caught up to AHM by now. But without spoiling the story, people feel that AHM was a bit disrespectful toward the Simon Furman run that came before it, dismissing some of the lore-building he had up till then, and acting as a kind of soft reboot. Aside from that, especially the early issues had a focus on human protagonists as opposed to the Autobots. I nevertheless thought it was a pretty solid story!

I just started on both RiD and MTMTE, and wow is this a lot of fun. I remember reading the preview pages of both series every once in a while years ago here on CBR, and going 'meh'. I was so wrong!!!

Astonishing Member

Its okay Mormel...thanks for the answer.

I read it and somehow didnt even notice it was a soft reboot. I just enjoyed it as a solid TF story.

I have to look up the characters and their new bio´s or different storyline threads anyway, because i sometimes cant remember who did what and when to whom...its pretty convoluted.

Mighty Member

Sorry for the late reply; don't know if you caught up to AHM by now. But without spoiling the story, people feel that AHM was a bit disrespectful toward the Simon Furman run that came before it, dismissing some of the lore-building he had up till then, and acting as a kind of soft reboot. Aside from that, especially the early issues had a focus on human protagonists as opposed to the Autobots. I nevertheless thought it was a pretty solid story!
    People forget how underwhelming the Furman "-ation" run was. Sales dropped consistently, and even fans (the same people who cried about "All Hail Megatron") were losing interest.

But, if there is one thing you can assume about Transformers fans, they are whiny little crybabies who will find something to complain about. (Human characters are a great way to troll many of those fans.)

As noted above, "All Hail Megatron" was meant to be a change in direction (soft reboot) because Furman's run was spiraling downward in to "Transformers: Desperation", which would have led to "Transformers: Cancellation".

I just started on both RiD and MTMTE, and wow is this a lot of fun. I remember reading the preview pages of both series every once in a while years ago here on CBR, and going 'meh'. I was so wrong!!!
    Splitting the titles was a good idea. But, after a year or so, the split becomes too extreme, with "More than Meets the Eye" (later "Lost Light") and "Robots in Disguise" (later "Optimus Prime") each going too far in the directions of Tumblr and generic comics.

So far, I've read up to 'Revenge of the Decepticons' (The Transformers #13-18).
    You are fast approaching "Police Action". Oh, my... (A smartly written story that....honked off the fans. I love every panel.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I loved the art in Unicron. Every issue was beautiful. Alex Milne can sure draw Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I loved the art in Unicron. Every issue was beautiful. Alex Milne can sure draw Transformers.
    He came along way from Spotlight Arcee, especially with his MTMTE stuff

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    People forget how underwhelming the Furman "-ation" run was. Sales dropped consistently, and even fans (the same people who cried about "All Hail Megatron") were losing interest.

But, if there is one thing you can assume about Transformers fans, they are whiny little crybabies who will find something to complain about. (Human characters are a great way to troll many of those fans.)

As noted above, "All Hail Megatron" was meant to be a change in direction (soft reboot) because Furman's run was spiraling downward in to "Transformers: Desperation", which would have led to "Transformers: Cancellation".
    Haha! I can see that, even if I ended up enjoying all of Furman's -ations and Maximum Dinobots. First of all, I definitely appreciated how Furman brought back the idea of the TFs using their alt modes to blend into their surroundings here on Earth, and initially kinda fought their war 'under the radar'. The whole infiltration method used by the Decepticons, with the six phases, was a neat concept.
    But if I could name a problem I had with Furman's writing, it's how he had most of the characters speak in his own voice, with his (Furman's) vocabulary, which was especially jarring for bots like Hot Rod or Grimlock, and also resulted in all the characters kinda sounding the same. Subsequent writers have been better at giving each TF a distinct voice. You'll never mistake Swerve for Tailgate, for example!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Haha! I can see that, even if I ended up enjoying all of Furman's -ations and Maximum Dinobots. First of all, I definitely appreciated how Furman brought back the idea of the TFs using their alt modes to blend into their surroundings here on Earth, and initially kinda fought their war 'under the radar'. The whole infiltration method used by the Decepticons, with the six phases, was a neat concept.
    But if I could name a problem I had with Furman's writing, it's how he had most of the characters speak in his own voice, with his (Furman's) vocabulary, which was especially jarring for bots like Hot Rod or Grimlock, and also resulted in all the characters kinda sounding the same. Subsequent writers have been better at giving each TF a distinct voice. You'll never mistake Swerve for Tailgate, for example!

Furman also seemed to struggle with the continuing mini-series format that IDW was using at the time or "write for the trade" style that most writers do now of days. I KNOW he written 4-6 issues arcs before, but his best arcs ones are the ones where he has more control over the length regardless if it's six issues or twenty-five issues and he kept adding more and more sub-plots in various mini-series and Spotlight one-shots that made it next to impossible to keep up with what was going on. I don't know if IDW had made Transformers: Stormbringer #1 or a #7 of an ongoing series (or at least a series without per-destined end) if that would have saved Furman's run or not, but I do think that suits his style of writing especially in terms of pacing and plotting much better.

Seibertron.com have listed their top 5 IDW stories: https://www.seibertron.com/transform...ics-era/42653/

1. Chaos Theory from Transformers 22 and 23 by James Roberts and Alex Milne
    2. Transformers: The Wreckers Saga: Last Stand of the Wreckers and Sins of the Wreckers by Nick Roche (and James Roberts for LSOTW)
    3. Shadowplay from More Than Meets the Eye 9-11 by James Roberts and Alex Milne
    4. Till All Are One Issues 1-12 + Annual by Mairghread Scott and Sara Pitre-Durocher
    5. The Transformers: Ironhide Mini Series by Mike Costa and Casey Coller

Honourable Mention:
    Transformers Escalation