Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What did you think of the Kingdom Come Superman in the JSA?

Ten years ago, the Kingdom Come Superman entered the mainstream DCU and joined the JSA while he was trapped on their Earth. What did you think of this idea? I kind of liked the concept but the whole Gog storyline was weak. I wish they could have done something more with him. I kind of feel like the JSA should have a Superman of some kind and he fits perfectly. But two Supermen running around was going to be problematic sooner or later. And given the fact that he was more powerful than the mainstream Superman it was an awkward situation all around. I wish they could have done it differently somehow.
    Assassinate Putin!

Kingdom Come Superman i definitely liked and I think Johns fit him nicely into the JSA. Like you though, I found the Gog crap to be utter nonsense.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

I can't say because by this time, I had stopped reading the book. As long as Goyer was on the book, I really liked his direction and use of characters. But Johns' stories didn't interest me as much.

I think I stopped reading in the middle of that story, so not sure how it ended.

At the time, I thought it was a major misstep. It was too soon after Infinite Crisis and there was a weird thing going with Power Girl and Earth-2 kind of sort of maybe being remembered and then they killed of Kal-L... and then bringing in another older grey haired Superman seemed to be a 'have your cake and eat it too.' kind of thing. It didn't seem to fit. It was a little too obviously a replacement for E-2 Superman and the death was still too fresh.

Most of all I really hated the new team post "one Year later'. The classic JSA characters were even more in the background and the rookies were now running the show and even MORE and MORE legacies were popping up like weeds. So I pulled the plug on that series. It was one of my favorites for years, but at that point... it wasn't anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Most of all I really hated the new team post "one Year later'. The classic JSA characters were even more in the background and the rookies were now running the show and even MORE and MORE legacies were popping up like weeds. So I pulled the plug on that series. It was one of my favorites for years, but at that point... it wasn't anymore.
    Agree completely with this. It was like a completely different book from where it had started out.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think I stopped reading in the middle of that story, so not sure how it ended.

At the time, I thought it was a major misstep. It was too soon after Infinite Crisis and there was a weird thing going with Power Girl and Earth-2 kind of sort of maybe being remembered and then they killed of Kal-L... and then bringing in another older grey haired Superman seemed to be a 'have your cake and eat it too.' kind of thing. It didn't seem to fit. It was a little too obviously a replacement for E-2 Superman and the death was still too fresh.

I hate IC precisely because of what it did to Kal-L. There really was no reason to bring him out of limbo. He got his happy ending and he should have been allowed to keep it. I liked the concept of KC Superman in the mainstream universe as part of the JSA, I just wish it was under different circumstances. As for how it ended, he went back to his Earth, and more or less went the same route as the original story. We got to see his future as he marries, or at least has kids with, Wonder Woman. Becomes caretaker of Earth. And is an old man by the time the Legion shows up.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Yeah, I soon dropped this because it wasn't the JSA anymore, it was some kind of what if Kingdom Come crossover book. Which might have been a fine series on its own--but that's not the JSA.

The KC Superman was a fit substitute for the original Kal-L. the only change I'd make would be to adjust his appearances to make it more like Superboy with the later Legion books. He only shows up when s*** hits the fan and it's a big problem. Having an alternate reality Superman as an "honorary" member does check off a lot of the boxes.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I enjoyed it. I definitely see some issues with the replacement of Kal-L but I liked more than disliked the parallels. I enjoyed the story with Gog and the theme of not selling your soul and trusting the devil in a benevolent disguise because of your insecurities or disadvantages. As a big fan of Kingdom Come it was a cool way to see this Superman again. I haven't read it since it came out but I remember it positively.

I thought there was all together too much Kingdom Come rubbed on that series and too little focus on the core JSA members, or even the newer secondary ones like Stargirl and Jakeem, and the Gog thing really went too long and didn't pack the punch it could have. And don't get me started on how badly Johns managed Damage.

But Kingdom Superman on the roster was one thing I loved and supported and a big part of me wanted to see him stick around indefinitely (even though I knew it would be a bad idea).

I'm not a huge fan of how Waid handles Clark in KC, but putting him on the main earth was cool and he had one of the best visuals a Superman has ever had with the gray temples and red-on-black shield (which remains one of my all time favorite versions of the emblem).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.