Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A day after the Flyers surprisingly upset the Rangers, they returned to their revolting routine of stinking up the joint as they were whacked 6-0 by Toronto last night. A day after Calvin Pickard looked brilliant in stoning New York for his first shutout with the Flyers, he failed to get out of the first period after allowing four goals on seven shots, including a hat trick by Andres Johnsson in a span of under eight minutes and was mercifully yanked after only twelve and half minutes. Meanwhile, Philly's offense never made it past customs and into Canada and was MIA as they were whitewashed by backup Garret Sparks. Pathetic!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Agreed, the issues on this team aren't going to be solved by a coaching change. A new GM is needed and they need to revamp the entire scouting department. If they could find a way to win a trade or two they'd be in a better place, but the Chia has built a team that the Hockey Gods themselves wouldn't be able to coach to the playoffs.
    Your Flames are doing pretty awesome, sirmarkus. They destroyed the Coyotes to the point where Coyotes made a trade immediately after. Where's Whovian? I want to get his take.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A day after the Flyers surprisingly upset the Rangers, they returned to their revolting routine of stinking up the joint as they were whacked 6-0 by Toronto last night. A day after Calvin Pickard looked brilliant in stoning New York for his first shutout with the Flyers, he failed to get out of the first period after allowing four goals on seven shots, including a hat trick by Andres Johnsson in a span of under eight minutes and was mercifully yanked after only twelve and half minutes. Meanwhile, Philly's offense never made it past customs and into Canada and was MIA as they were whitewashed by backup Garret Sparks. Pathetic!
    I feel ya, buddy.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Your Flames are doing pretty awesome, sirmarkus. They destroyed the Coyotes to the point where Coyotes made a trade immediately after. Where's Whovian? I want to get his take.

I feel ya, buddy.
    I'm just happy to see Smith get a good game in. If this team can be allowed to dictate the pace of play, they're going to be dangerous. It's nice to see the Flames play with this kind of intensity.

I feel ya, buddy.
    After Saturday night's meltdown, I'm convinced it's time to blow up the Flyers who are nothing more than a mediocre, middle of the road kennel that's no better than one playoff round and done cannon fodder and will NEVER win the Cup as currently constructed. They should do what the Sixers did, that is, go into full blown tank mode and rip it all to shreds: fire GM Ron Hextall and head coach Dave Hakstol; trade Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek and Wayne Simmonds while they still have value; bring in a GM and head coach that have ZERO ties to the organization (the team's endless nepotism, bringing in former players to be GM's and coaches hasn't worked for ****); dump any underperforming, expensive or always hurt veterans (i.e. Brian Elliott and Michal Nuervirth); call up the kids, including prized rookie goalie Carter Hart and start over from scratch, even if it means stinking on wheat for several years until a new core matures and becomes really good. Flyers fans are loyal Stepfords who'll buy pretty much anything regarding the team, so why not a hockey version of "The Process"? Better to go this route than to perpetually spin their wheels in quicksand, never getting anywhere.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-26-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Well, the first shoe has dropped as GM Ron Hextall was fired this morning:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...501254681.html

Addendum: There's a rumor floating around that Hextall's bosses told him to fire Dave Hakstol (no doubt the suits were pissed after Saturday night's torching in Toronto) and he refused, so Hextall got the chop instead. If that's true, then I can't imagine Hakstol being kept around for very long.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-26-2018 at 10:38 AM.

After Saturday night's meltdown, I'm convinced it's time to blow up the Flyers who are nothing more than a mediocre, middle of the road kennel that's no better than one playoff round and done cannon fodder and will NEVER win the Cup as currently constructed. They should do what the Sixers did, that is, go into full blown tank mode and rip it all to shreds: fire GM Ron Hextall and head coach Dave Hakstol; trade Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek and Wayne Simmonds while they still have value; bring in a GM and head coach that have ZERO ties to the organization (the team's endless nepotism, bringing in former players to be GM's and coaches hasn't worked for ****); dump any underperforming, expensive or always hurt veterans (i.e. Brian Elliott and Michal Nuervirth); call up the kids, including prized rookie goalie Carter Hart and start over from scratch, even if it means stinking on wheat for several years until a new core matures and becomes really good. Flyers fans are loyal Stepfords who'll buy pretty much anything regarding the team, so why not a hockey version of "The Process"? Better to go this route than to perpetually spin their wheels in quicksand, never getting anywhere.
    I agree with a lot of this, but I think I'd keep Simmonds. Dude has a ton of heart, and would be a good veteran to play with the youngsters. Also he's really active in the community, and the team needs all the good will they can get. Gritty can only do so much!

The Flyers had a 3-1 lead over Ottawa with just under nine minutes left in the third period, then, they turned into the Flyers and promptly coughed up that lead letting in three goals in just under six minutes to lose 4-3. Revolting!

The Flyers had a 3-1 lead over Ottawa with just under nine minutes left in the third period, then, they turned into the Flyers and promptly coughed up that lead letting in three goals in just under six minutes to lose 4-3. Revolting!
    It sucks, because I'm going through the same thing with my Oilers, man. I want so many changes. The problem starts in net for the Flyers. I do not know who they can get, since the goalie market is too expensive. I look at what the Flyers did with Pickard and I thought that they may be found a goalie that was going to surprise them, but man...he did not work out at all and has been picked up by the Coyotes.

There are so many good players on the Flyers that I would love to have on my Oilers team. The Flyers have a really good roster, but their goaltending really kills them. I am not pinning the loss to Ottawa on the goaltending solely, since that winning goal by Duchene was insane, but sometimes a great goaltender will make one or two unbelievable saves and the whole team will get that much eager to win.

I have no idea what the Flyers are going to do next. Whatever they do, they need to start by figuring out what they'll be doing in net. I was not a big believer of the Elliott-Neuvirth tandem, since they got injured so often! St. Louis are looking at Jimmy Howard. I think the Flyers should try and get to Howard before St. Louis does. Howard is not a star, but he has given the Red Wings a fighting chance to win games on a lot of nights.

I think the Flyers should try and get to Howard before St. Louis does. Howard is not a star, but he has given the Red Wings a fighting chance to win games on a lot of nights.
    Howard would give them stability while they brought up some of the prospects in their system. Carter Hart is still a couple years away from being NHL ready.

A few nights ago, the Flyers coughed up a third period 3-1 lead and lost on home ice to bottom feeding Ottawa. Last night, they went into Pittsburgh and beat Sidney Crosby and Pittsburgh 4-2. Go figure. As for trading for Jimmy Howard, I suspect that won't happen, it appears the team will ride things out with Anthony Stolarz (last night's winner), Brian Elliott and Michal Neuvirth (last night's backup) until prized rookie Carter Hart is deemed ready to man the nets in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Howard would give them stability while they brought up some of the prospects in their system. Carter Hart is still a couple years away from being NHL ready.
    I think so. Howard is an all-star, but due to a poor Detroit team, has been considered an average goalie the last few years. I honestly don't think so. I think Howard does not get a lot of help, but he could be that stable goalie the Flyers have needed for a while.

A few nights ago, the Flyers coughed up a third period 3-1 lead and lost on home ice to bottom feeding Ottawa. Last night, they went into Pittsburgh and beat Sidney Crosby and Pittsburgh 4-2. Go figure. As for trading for Jimmy Howard, I suspect that won't happen, it appears the team will ride things out with Anthony Stolarz (last night's winner), Brian Elliott and Michal Neuvirth (last night's backup) until prized rookie Carter Hart is deemed ready to man the nets in Philly.
    I thought it was deemed a "win now" situation in Philadelphia? I think with a sturdy goaltender, they could potentially do some serious damage in the Metropolitan. If not Howard, I'd try and target Anaheim to see if Ryan Miller can be had. Miller has been a pretty solid back-up for the Ducks the last few years and if Anaheim starts to trend downwards, they may be looking to off-load some contracts.

I thought it was deemed a "win now" situation in Philadelphia? I think with a sturdy goaltender, they could potentially do some serious damage in the Metropolitan. If not Howard, I'd try and target Anaheim to see if Ryan Miller can be had. Miller has been a pretty solid back-up for the Ducks the last few years and if Anaheim starts to trend downwards, they may be looking to off-load some contracts.
    The front office may say it was a "win now" situation, and maybe that's the case, but the cynic in me suspects Hextall was canned because apathy had set in, disguised as empty seats at our arena, and a sacrifice was needed (why the purge didn't include Dave Hakstol is a mystery to me). Anger from the fanbase over how crappy the team has played so far this season is one thing, but indifference is a flat out killer, especially at the box office. Meanwhile, the roster as constructed, is no better than one round and done, maybe two depending on the opponent, and that's provided they even make the playoffs, that's not a certainty right now, given it's Jekyll/Hyde persona. The Flyers could clone Bernie Parent in his prime and it wouldn't make a difference, never mind Howard whom I don't think Detroit will part with, or another retread like Miller.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-03-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Seattle's getting a hockey team!

I already knew it was a done deal, but it was officially approved today for the 2021 season.

Now I just hope they don't pick a stupid name. It really should be the Metropolitans.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Seattle's getting a hockey team!

I already knew it was a done deal, but it was officially approved today for the 2021 season.

Now I just hope they don't pick a stupid name. It really should be the Metropolitans.
    Locals voted for the Totems (local tribes gave them a sweet logo for it), the Kraken, and the Metropolitans by a vast majority. Last big media poll had the Kraken over the Totems. Recently, the Aviators has sprung into debate.The city government REALLY wants the Emeralds (which is a stupid, stupid name). NHL has pretty much said that the Metropolitans is a no-go for names.

I like the Aviators and the Kraken best. I really want the Totems but that won't fly in this day and age.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Locals voted for the Totems (local tribes gave them a sweet logo for it), the Kraken, and the Metropolitans by a vast majority. Last big media poll had the Kraken over the Totems. Recently, the Aviators has sprung into debate.The city government REALLY wants the Emeralds (which is a stupid, stupid name). NHL has pretty much said that the Metropolitans is a no-go for names.
    Perhaps because of a certain baseball team in New York, though the Big Apple and Texas both share Rangers. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I like the Aviators and the Kraken best. I really want the Totems but that won't fly in this day and age.
    Yeah, Totems would never work, not in today's PC culture. Here's my suggestion: a long time ago when Seattle had a major league baseball team, it was called the Pilots. That might not be too bad.