Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Why is the Metropolitans a no-go? (The Mets are the Mets. I know it's a short for, but no one calls them the Metropolitans.)

I like the Totems and Aviators, I guess. Hate Emeralds and Kraken.

I don't see a problem with the Totems. We already have the Thunderbirds. Both them and the Seahawks logos are Native art based.
    Last edited by Joker; 12-04-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Perhaps because of a certain baseball team in New York, though the Big Apple and Texas both share Rangers. Go figure.

Yeah, Totems would never work, not in today's PC culture. Here's my suggestion: a long time ago when Seattle had a major league baseball team, it was called the Pilots. That might not be too bad.
    MLB owns the name of the Pilots. I like it, too, but pretty much everyone in Seattle agrees it won't get approved.

Kraken, Metropolitans, Totems are the local favorites. I could get behind the Aviators and the Pilots more than those 3 personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Why is the Metropolitans a no-go? (The Mets are the Mets. I know it's a short for, but no one calls them the Metropolitans.)

I like the Totems and Aviators, I guess. Hate Emeralds and Kraken.

I don't see a problem with the Totems. We already have the Thunderbirds. Both them and the Seahawks logos are Native art based.
    I don't see a problem with the Totems, either, as it's not a derogatory nickname like 90% of the other Native team names. Especially when the local tribes pitched some art for it.

I don't know why about the Metropolitans, other than in recent interviews, they pretty much shot that name down. Isn't there a tourney/division named after the Metropolitans?

EDIT: Well today's NHL PR is all about the Seattle Metropolitans. Maybe they want to hook people in for the name/color/mascot drama?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I know Sockeye's has been a pretty popular name choice. I'm not a huge fan, but it isn't awful, either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    MLB owns the name of the Pilots. I like it, too, but pretty much everyone in Seattle agrees it won't get approved.
    I didn't know MLB owns Pilots. It's been something like 50 years or more since the baseball team left Seattle. Well, in that vein, I like Aviators.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I know Sockeye's has been a pretty popular name choice. I'm not a huge fan, but it isn't awful, either.
    They haven't cracked the top 3 in polls, but they place above horrid names like the Emeralds and Freeze.
    I didn't know MLB owns Pilots. It's been something like 50 years or more since the baseball team left Seattle. Well, in that vein, I like Aviators.
    Well, ask the Brewers about it. They are the ones that block usage without money. Somebody made a cool design over at ESPN, though.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Interesting.

What will they be called?

Details regarding the team's name, logo, color scheme are not known yet, and there will be plenty of time for those rumors and announcements over the next couple of years. However, it's never too early to start. In regards to a potential name, the leader in the clubhouse seems to be the Metropolitans at this point in time.

Greg Wyshynski

@wyshynski

In speaking to Seattle media here, I'm surprised how many believe the name of the new NHL team will be the Metropolitans.

If that's the case, my formal request: We obviously must rename the Metropolitan Division as the Patrick Division, to avoid confusion.
    5:35 AM - Dec 4, 2018

In April of last year, the NHL acquired the trademark rights to "Seattle Metropolitans" in Canada. (The U.S. rights are currently owned by a Korean-American entrepreneur and hockey fan named Paul Kim.) That doesn't make it a certainty, but it's worth noting.

----------------

I like it better than most of the other choices.

They haven't cracked the top 3 in polls,
    Sockeyes took first in a Seattle Times poll. I've also spoken with people, let's say, very close to this, and Sockeyes has been a very popular choice. I'm not saying it's going to be that, but... the ownership group are very much listening to the fans.

Sockeyes took first in a Seattle Times poll. I've also spoken with people, let's say, very close to this, and Sockeyes has been a very popular choice. I'm not saying it's going to be that, but... the ownership group are very much listening to the fans.
    I don't read the ST, haha. I missed that one.

The NHL agrees with you.

--------

What about the name, logo and colors?

Sockeyes defeated Totems in the final of a four-round Seattle Times poll that attracted 146,144 votes. Metropolitans finished third. Next came Steelheads, Kraken, Sasquatch, Freeze and Emeralds.

"We paid close, close attention," Leiweke said.

NHL Seattle has been doing focus groups. Each day, Leiweke listens to suggestions and opinions.

"It's a process of really putting your ear to the track and understanding and hearing what fans feel and believe," Leiweke said. "That's the art form. The science is then bringing in professionals who can take direction and sentiment and begin to apply it to what practically could be a name and a logo that will stand the test of time. And I'm confident we'll land on the right thing.

"We want to be deliberate, but we're not going to rush this to the point we don't feel great about it."

--------

So, the owners like the Metropolitans. The city likes the Emeralds. Fans seem to like the Sockeye, Totems, Steelheads, & the Kraken. Businesses are pushing for the Aviators and Pilots.

I could live with all those but the Emeralds. And no neon green please. Not all of us are Seahawks or Sounders fans. UGH!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-04-2018 at 12:22 PM.

You know, suddenly, I like the Kraken, sounds badass. For home games, they could have Liam Neeson as Zeus from Clash of the Titans pop up on the Jumbotron and intone:

"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

How cool would that be?

You know, suddenly, I like the Kraken, sounds badass. For home games, they could have Liam Neeson as Zeus from Clash of the Titans pop up on the Jumbotron and intone:

"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

How cool would that be?
    And then they all skate out to Space Jam.

What are the odds the new NHL team makes the playoffs before the Mariners?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-04-2018 at 04:19 PM.

And no neon green please.
    This. Just so much this.

"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

How cool would that be?
    I want this. It would be the easiest marketing line ever!

Without Backlund and Giordano the Flames just took first in the conference. I was hoping for a playoff spot this season, but never expected them to challenge like this. I'm loving this!

My Flyers gave up two early first period goals in Buffalo yesterday afternoon, then they scored the next six for a 6-2 win over the Sabres. Not bad.

Chiming in a little late here, but maybe the new Seattle team should be called the Suprasonics
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/