Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    While I do understand a certain jadedness from fans who've been reading a long time and always want something more than just the "same old, same old," I am also perplexed when people sigh and roll their eyes when Marvel announces projects that feature the company's most popular characters. I mean, this is kind of the business they're in. I don't think it's necessarily cautious and backwards looking to keep pumping Spider-Man and Wolverine and so on - no more so than it is for DC to do the same with Batman and Superman. These are simply their guys, the ones that they're known for.
    That's not quite what I am doing. I am looking at a list of announcements and seeing a high nostalgia factor for things very few people are actually nostalgic about.

Marvel Comics Presents
    Invaders
    Crypt of Shadows
    Journey into Unknown Worlds
    War is Hell
    3D Printings

At a pinch Invaders is worth a punt but the last Invaders comic was one of the worst comics in the entire line for me.

Take 'War is Hell'. When I think War comics I don't think Marvel. Being British I naturally think Commando, but I don't think War is Hell. I know they want to keep IP alive but seriously that is the most cynical publication I have ever seen if that's the main reason. Is it to bring Chaykin back? Why? Who is clamouring for him to come back?

Surely the creative we want back if we go there is Garth Ennis?

On the flip side I am quite interested in the Marvel Universe Magazine Fall 2018 stuff (although X-Man makes me a little worried).
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-06-2018 at 08:45 AM.

No, they'll just keep both running and eventually reboot Spec.
    Did you forget that Zdarksy left Spec and the next three issues are Spider-Geddon tie-ins by a lesser known writer? If the book was to relaunch it would be in January. Instead we have a double shipping new book alongside the already double shipping Amazing. Spec is done!

I understand wanting to read about different characters - I do too - but I can't hold adding more Peter Parker Spider-Man to their line-up against Marvel. Especially as it used to be the norm for years for ASM to have two satellite titles. It was Spec and Team-Up for years, then Spec and Web of. I forget what the line-up was when the adjectiveless Spider-Man book was running but anyhow, having several books devoted to Peter isn't some new thing they're pushing.

And specifically in the case of Friendly Neighborhood, it has an excellent creative team attached to it. Putting Taylor and Cabal on a Spidey book is an instant buy for me.
    Adjectiveless was just a 4th book. Amazing, Spec and Web of were all running at the same time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did you forget that Zdarksy left Spec and the next three issues are Spider-Geddon tie-ins by a lesser known writer? If the book was to relaunch it would be in January. Instead we have a double shipping new book alongside the already double shipping Amazing. Spec is done!
    I believe Nick Lowe spoke at the Spider panel about Spec continuing. For how long, who knows, but it's not cancelled yet.

When they do cancel it, they'll relaunch it.

And FNSM won't be double shipping monthly. Likely just in January and in random other months, like most books that ship 16 or so issues a year.

BANNED

Adjectiveless was just a 4th book. Amazing, Spec and Web of were all running at the same time.
    That's what I thought. Now that's a lot of Peter Parker Spidey!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

That's excellent, I loved the Marvel Tales Flip magazines from 10-12 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    A third ongoing for Peter Parker is just as annoying as another book for Wolverine, tbh. I know they have to put out what sells, but come on, I wanna read about different characters. Hopefully they're saving more exciting announcements for the weekend.
    I get that, though I feel like Spider-Man, of all characters, is one of those heroes who can lend themselves to multiple satellite books starring him that still feel unique and worth being around with his extensive personal life, Rogues Gallery, and supporting cast (I feel like Marvel's marketing guy ).

And after Dan Slott had pretty much sole creative control on Peter for such a long time I find it refreshing to see that more people get to write Peter now.

Business-wise it has also seemed to be the case that the books with Peter in them generally sell better then the Spider-Titles that don't, as unfortunate as that may sound for titles like Spider-Woman, Silk, Prowler, etc.
    When they do cancel it, they'll relaunch it.
    If Spec ends, I don't seem them immediately relaunching it.

I mean, they probably will eventually but just not after it ends.

No, they'll just keep both running and eventually reboot Spec.

A year's better than nothing and it's better than the one-shot I was worried this was going to be.
    Young Avengers is coming back:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...eturn-in-2019/

No art, creative team, or roster mentioned yet.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I think all they need to do is find a bit of balance,

they publish so many books there's room, more than enough, for a good healthy mix of new and legendary characters

there's is no need, none, to sideline any long established character so a new one can be brought out

if they really think that's so, then all that reveals is a lack of faith in the new product imo
    We have always have Peter Parker in a bunch of books.
    His own and lets not forget many of those Marvel Team up & Tales books.
    Same with Logan in his own, X-Men & Marvel Comics Present.

Also it's hard to have faith in your new stuff after the backlash of ENTITLEMENT hit you in 2016.
    Something we are STILL seeing today.

We are no longer in the age of read what you want and ignore what you don't. We are in the age of I want my so-called Icons and make sure the ones I HATE are no longer in publication.
    So we get a line of folks throwing fits about Miles and friends.

I get quite irritated when people complain about new characters coming out and taking over so to speak, and just as irritated when some people complain about people being upset if they have felt that their favourite has been sidelined,
    If we are talking Marvel-it would be a hard sell to believe they are sidelining anyone. As bad as Black Panther was done 2011-2015 or the "burial" of X-Men-you still saw them in books and even starring in their own. Aside form a few-they were never really gone.

If we talk DC-where higher up have called characters "pitch toxic", ERASED/EDITED folks out of books, employees INSULT fans, writers OPENLY trash a franchise or Titans and characters who have fans outside of comics book stores get shafted. It would not be hard sell.

I mean why wouldn't Marvel KEEP investing in Miles's group? Dc does not care about their teen population. Marvel would go NUTS if Miles, Sam & Khan had 400 solo books between them like Conner, Tim & Bart. Yet the later three are after thoughts.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder if Heinberg will have time to do it anymore. He's got some TV work lined up. I hope he squeezes it in.

Extraordinary Member

Cebulski announced a sequel to Avengers: No Surrender called Avengers: No Road Home, starting February. Same writers and weekly format as No Surrender, and Voyager, the new character created for that series, looks to be coming back in this one.

It's basically what old-school Avengers fans have been asking for since No Surrender ended, a containment book for the more old-school approach and characters that Aaron isn't using, so OK, I'll buy that, though the covers aren't super exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Cebulski announced a sequel to Avengers: No Surrender called Avengers: No Road Home, starting February. Same writers and weekly format as No Surrender, and Voyager, the new character created for that series, looks to be coming back in this one.

It's basically what old-school Avengers fans have been asking for since No Surrender ended, a containment book for the more old-school approach and characters that Aaron isn't using, so OK, I'll buy that, though the covers aren't super exciting to me.
    Nice to see Monica. Is that Johnny Storm in the issue 3 cover with the crystal ball?

EDIT: I think it may be Hawkeye
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

There is another female character book in January that will be announced soon
    https://www.newsarama.com/42238-nycc...big-thing.html

Come on Marvel, you know what I want.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm willing to bet it will spin out of the West Coast Avengers. So the Young Avengers crew + Quentin Quire, Gwenpool, and Fuse.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Kind of amusing to see many people complaining about Wolverine appearing on MCP, considering than that series is popular thanks to him lol, hell some of his classic tales like Weapon X, but i doubt that he would be the sole focus, i''m sure that other characthers are going to be presented in the next arcs.