Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Cebulski announced a sequel to Avengers: No Surrender called Avengers: No Road Home, starting February. Same writers and weekly format as No Surrender, and Voyager, the new character created for that series, looks to be coming back in this one.

It's basically what old-school Avengers fans have been asking for since No Surrender ended, a containment book for the more old-school approach and characters that Aaron isn't using, so OK, I'll buy that, though the covers aren't super exciting to me.
    Monica Wanda Vision Hercules good good good. Give me Janet and this is done

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    That's what I thought. Now that's a lot of Peter Parker Spidey!
    It was a bit more than that at one point, Prof. Especially if you count the numerous mini-series that were running at the time. Plus there was Spider-Man Unlimited (not sure if that one counts since it was quarterly.), Spider-Man Classics, Untold Tales Of Spider-Man and Spider-Man Adventures. All starring Peter Parker or a version of him.

I don't mind it though. It is nice that Marvel is giving readers a variety of choice. What Nick Spencer is doing on Amazing might not appeal to some (personally I am loving it), but Spectacular or Friendly Neighborhood might. The trick is in giving each title a clear and distinct reason to exist: Amazing was main title, Spectacular placed more of an emphasis on Peter's civilian life and his support cast, Spider-Man was an outlet for big name creators to come in and do big stories with (bit like Snyder's All Star Batman), and Web Of was, well, that one never really had a clear voice.

If Marvel can bring some of that back, I'll be there.

Astonishing Member

Well, Marvel kind of has being doing it with the True Believers reprints they put out. Might as well revive a title that fulfilled that function in the past and have it do so again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Kind of amusing to see many people complaining about Wolverine appearing on MCP, considering than that series is popular thanks to him lol, hell some of his classic tales like Weapon X, but i doubt that he would be the sole focus, i''m sure that other characthers are going to be presented in the next arcs.
    Yeah, the complaints really are silly in that regard. If Wolverine hadn't had a regular presence in MCP, it would not have sold or lasted as long as it did (which is true since the title was pretty much on life-support once he was taken out.)

In order for this title to be successful, it needs a big name character in there every issue to anchor it. The other stories can feature the "lesser" characters that fans argue never receive any focus. That way at least something is being done with them.

Silver linings, people.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes they can. They can stop listening to vocal fans that don't actually put their money where their mouths are and continue writing new stories that challenge readers and reflect society at large. Looking backwards is a dangerous game that only fans have the luxury of doing.
    You do know Marvel has always done both,

Tried new things and classic crap.

Some works some doesn’t.

Champions is getting a new #1 and expanding it's roster into a legion. That means Bleeding Cool may have got the wrong end of the stick regarding Young Avengers... could just be that some of them become Champions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Yeah, the complaints really are silly in that regard. If Wolverine hadn't had a regular presence in MCP, it would not have sold or lasted as long as it did (which is true since the title was pretty much on life-support once he was taken out.)

In order for this title to be successful, it needs a big name character in there every issue to anchor it. The other stories can feature the "lesser" characters that fans argue never receive any focus. That way at least something is being done with them.

Silver linings, people.
    Very much agreed.
    The original Marvel Comics Presents had Wolverine and MCP was the comic book with more variety because of that comic book having four stories each.
    I remember many great characters that for some reasons never had comic books or limited series apearing in their own stories in MCP way back as Colossus,Havok,Stingray and Falcon.
    The obvious story that was great in MCP was Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith but the Wolverine stories by Sam Kieth were quite cool as well,and quite diferent from the main Wolverine comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Cebulski announced a sequel to Avengers: No Surrender called Avengers: No Road Home, starting February. Same writers and weekly format as No Surrender, and Voyager, the new character created for that series, looks to be coming back in this one.

It's basically what old-school Avengers fans have been asking for since No Surrender ended, a containment book for the more old-school approach and characters that Aaron isn't using, so OK, I'll buy that, though the covers aren't super exciting to me.
    It's nice to see more classic Avengers back in focus, although in a mini instead of an ongoing .
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'm willing to bet it will spin out of the West Coast Avengers. So the Young Avengers crew + Quentin Quire, Gwenpool, and Fuse.
    I actually wonder if they're planning on a YA book to succeed WCA in case sales falter (and if Thompson would still be writing it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Champions is getting a new #1 and expanding it's roster into a legion. That means Bleeding Cool may have got the wrong end of the stick regarding Young Avengers... could just be that some of them become Champions.
    So I guess Champions is going to turn into large-scale teen hero book or a book that will feature every disparate teen hero in the Marvel universe.

Marvel definitely needs to compete. DC will have Young Justice and the two existing Titans books. Marvel currently has Champions and Runaways., and the latter is apparently ending at issue 18.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

No, it seemed like the question to Cebulski was pretty straight-forward as was his answer.

It wasn't whether members of the YA would come back on another team, it was whether the team itself was returning.

Excited to see where Zub takes the Champions after the relaunch. He's made the book a standout since he took over.

Also jazzed for the sequel to No Surrender. I'm sure the creative team will kill it again.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    A third ongoing for Peter Parker is just as annoying as another book for Wolverine, tbh. I know they have to put out what sells, but come on, I wanna read about different characters. Hopefully they're saving more exciting announcements for the weekend.
    I see your point, but to be fair Marvel's been putting out different Spider related titles each year. I'm beginning to think they're running out of Spider-Man spin offs. We started out with Peter, Miles, Spider-Gwen, Silk, Miguel, Jessica, and Spider-Verse. Outside of Spider-Verse these comics all had decent runs IMO. However they were all canned eventually, now we have Ben Reilly, Renew Your Vows, and Specatcular. All seem to be getting cancelled soon as well.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Young Avengers is coming back:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...eturn-in-2019/

No art, creative team, or roster mentioned yet.
    Best news I've received all year. This better be a new ongoing title and feature the characters I actually care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wonder if Heinberg will have time to do it anymore. He's got some TV work lined up. I hope he squeezes it in.
    I love Heinberg from the bottom of my heart, but I'm not crazy about him returning to comics if his work is going to be delayed as much as it was back when he was working on YA. We spent 4 years without new ongoing stories for the team because he was busy. If he's gonna be more committed this time around, great, but if not, then I think it's for the best if someone else is writing.

My number one pick for a YA title right now would be Al Ewing, just because he's the one writer who's shown continuous interest in using the characters from the team after Gillen's run.

Don't jinx it! I would really, really dislike that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Very much agreed.
    The original Marvel Comics Presents had Wolverine and MCP was the comic book with more variety because of that comic book having four stories each.
    I remember many great characters that for some reasons never had comic books or limited series apearing in their own stories in MCP way back as Colossus,Havok,Stingray and Falcon.
    The obvious story that was great in MCP was Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith but the Wolverine stories by Sam Kieth were quite cool as well,and quite diferent from the main Wolverine comic book.
    It also had Panther's Quest as well. Actually, you could argue it was a defacto X-Men title given the fact it featured stories involving a variety of X-Men characters. You mentioned Colossus and Havok, but it also had a pretty good solo outing for Cyclops. Excalibur was featured a bit as well. But yeah, it had a good mixture. Absolutely got value for dollar with those.

Astonishing Member

Do we know how long No Road Home is slated to run? I didn't mind No Surrender. Rich over at Bleeding Cool doesn't know if it will launch alongside Aaron's Avengers or replace it altogether.

Also, Savage Sword Of Conan by Gerry Duggan and Ron Garney. Cover by Alex Ross.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Do we know how long No Road Home is slated to run? I didn't mind No Surrender. Rich over at Bleeding Cool doesn't know if it will launch alongside Aaron's Avengers or replace it altogether.

Also, Savage Sword Of Conan by Gerry Duggan and Ron Garney. Cover by Alex Ross.
    No Road Home is ten weeks long, and it seemed to me that it's going to be running alongside Aaron's Avengers.