Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default DC launch WONDER COMICS, a new imprint curated by BENDIS

DC launch a new imprint WONDER COMIC curated by Bendis.

https://www.newsarama.com/42168-youn...n-imprint.html

Young Justice : by Bendis & Patrick Gleason
    Naomi : by Bendis and David Walker & Jamal Campbell.
    Wonder Twins : by Mark Russell & Stephen Byrne.
    Dial H for Hero : by Sam Humphries & Joe Quinones

More info :

Naomi is a new character.

Jenny Hex, the “Great great great great great granddaughter” of Jonah Hex, will soon be introduced in the next Walmart Batman special by Bendis before moving into a Wonder Comics title.This character won’t know she’s related to Jonah, but will discover Adam Strange’s ray gun and a trunk full of old DC stuff/ weapons

Bendis teased a new character called Teen Lantern, a teen from Bolivia who figures out how to hack into a lantern battery and do things with it that “she should not be doing.” this title will tie into what Morrison and Liam sharp are doing in Green Lantern.
    Last edited by JimmySpectre; 10-04-2018 at 12:09 PM.

The man lives to make my day

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Well Mark Russell and Stephen Bryne's Wonder Twins will probably be worth checking out.

I hope this teen imprint works better then the last Young Justice line .

But in all seriousness this is pretty cool. I'm not sure what my expectations are for Bendis on Young Justice, but I'm glad to see those kids back in action .

Mark Russell on the Wonder Twins should be a trip.

Long overdue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I’m down for this, as someone who both enjoys Bendis’s run with Miles and Riri and a fan of these group of characters I’m in. Though no idea who Naomi is and a little skeptical on Jonah Hex’s descendant I think everything else sounds great.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Long overdue.
    why do you say that? It is interesting because it was not long ago that DC folded WIldstrom up, which was obviously Jim Lee's creation. And now they are going to try to expand another master head again? Is there room in the market for it?

The other interesting aspect to this is the the Jenny Hex character came from the Walmat books, books I have no access to and would love to get. That really cements the thought in my mind that those books will have future investment value

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    DC launch a new imprint WONDER COMIC curated by Bendis.

https://www.newsarama.com/42168-youn...n-imprint.html

Young Justice : by Bendis & Patrick Gleason
    Naomi : by Bendis and David Walker & Jamal Campbell.
    Wonder Twins : by Mark Russell & Stephen Byrne.
    Dial H for Hero : by Sam Humphries & Joe Quinones

More info :

Naomi is a new character.

Jenny Hex, the “Great great great great great granddaughter” of Jonah Hex, will soon be introduced in the next Walmart Batman special by Bendis before moving into a Wonder Comics title.This character won’t know she’s related to Jonah, but will discover Adam Strange’s ray gun and a trunk full of old DC stuff/ weapons

Bendis teased a new character called Teen Lantern, a teen from Bolivia who figures out how to hack into a lantern battery and do things with it that “she should not be doing.” this title will tie into what Morrison and Liam sharp are doing in Green Lantern.
    My thoughts:

1. Bendis is in charge of this. *shudder* I’ll still give it shot, because I’m so desperate for the return of Young Justice; but I’m very wary. He didn’t impress me with Superman, and his work at Marvel tends to put him in the same boat as Judd Winick in my book — someone who’s more interested in pushing a social agenda than in telling good stories. I’m hoping to be surprised, though.

2. Tim with one “R” (and metallic shoulder pads), Kon with spandex and a leather jacket (with spikes!), Cassie with the black T-shirt, red pants, and jacket (and a battle skirt!), and Bart with his classic Impulse look. Boy, this is really hitting the nostalgia buttons. I doubt that YJ will just be the four of them, though hopefully we’ll get a few issues re-establishing their friendships before bringing in anyone else. That said, I’m hoping to see Mia Dearden and Lorena Marquez at some point, if only as guests.

3. I’m hoping that Spoiler will be part of this, too; when Tim and Stephanie left Detective Comics, they left together. So having Tim show up without her would leave some awkward questions. And rounding out my 90s nostalgia kick, I liked when Cassie was sent to an all-girls school along with Anita, Cissie, and Greta: if they could bring that back too, I’d be thrilled.

4. The new characters sound interesting. Teen Lantern has been a long time in coming — though I admit that the DCU currently has a glut of human GLs. And speaking of gluts, notice how all of the new characters are girls? I hope they do end up bringing Aqualad and/or Blue Beetle onto the team, if only to keep the guys from being overwhelmed. And maybe take a trip to the far-distant future to pick up a certain statue that was left there a while back…

5. While Young Justice is the primary draw for me, I’m going to give all four titles a shot. I fondly remember Zan and Jayna, and look forward to a fresh new take on them. Dial H is something that's always been on the periphery of my awareness; it never really clicked with me before, but maybe this time will be different. And there's nothing I can say about Naomi at this point, simply because I don't know anything about her; but I find myself thinking of Steel (the John Henry Irons version, not his niece) in the way that a brief encounter with Superman can change one's life.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    My thoughts:

1. Bendis is in charge of this. *shudder* I’ll still give it shot, because I’m so desperate for the return of Young Justice; but I’m very wary. He didn’t impress me with Superman, and his work at Marvel tends to put him in the same boat as Judd Winick in my book — someone who’s more interested in pushing a social agenda than in telling good stories. I’m hoping to be surprised, though.
    Have you read Miles or Riri or just parroting what the entitlement and echo chamber crew say?

Race was NEVER bought up in Miles's book except 3 times. In the 2016 series-with the one comment about not wanting to be known as the black Spider-Man and the Civil War issue where he was scared of the cops-while forgetting he can turn invisible. The first series with a comment by someone saying "I knew Spider-Man was black".

Riri-some folks just REFUSE to accept a black female doing anything by herself at Marvel unless she is named Monica. All she did was make her own armor (not take Tony's like Doom did) and went about her business.

'm not saying that only people of $GROUP can or should write about $GROUP, but at the same time comics (like almost all media) has a huge problem with limiting or toxic biases against women, black people, indigenous peoples and so on, and I really doubt that putting white dudes in charge of creating new such characters with the expectation that they should stay around is a good idea.
    Let Priest do this and DESPITE the praise-you would still see the greatest gymnastic routines to NOT support the books. Not to mention the group who would fight to get Priest fired.
    And also let not forget not all POC has the same vision. WHO was the editor for Cyborg, Static Shock, Black Lightning, Katana & Batwing? How well did that work out?

And why not Bendis? Show me this POC of DC that is where Miles is at?
    Oh that's right it's NOBODY at DC. It hasn't been anybody since Kyle in the 90s.

So why not Bendis? Seems like he is the ONLY guy interested. He can't do worst then who has come before him.

I really like Bendis’ X-men. He’s a great choice for the team book. My only concern is if he’s going to give Cassie as much of focus as Conner, Tim, and Bart. I hope she’s just not Conners girlfriend.

According to the Bendis panel Amethyst will be a part of Young Justice lineup because the first arc is about Gemworld. They didn’t say who or when but apparently a Amethyst series or project is in the works.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I've liked most of Bendis' work, but none of these books are in the least bit appealing to me.
    Really hoping the Dial H kid is gay. That might raise my interst in the book slightly. And DC is doing terrible at LGBT representation right now in the comics.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Have you read Miles or Riri or just parroting what the entitlement and echo chamber crew say?
    Obviously, I'm just parroting what the entitlement and echo chamber crew say; it couldn't possibly be that I'm thinking for myself and have my own concerns.</sarc>

Race was NEVER bought up in Miles's book except 3 times. In the 2016 series-with the one comment about not wanting to be known as the black Spider-Man and the Civil War issue where he was scared of the cops-while forgetting he can turn invisible. The first series with a comment by someone saying "I knew Spider-Man was black".
    I've never had a problem with Miles.

Riri-some folks just REFUSE to accept a black female doing anything by herself at Marvel unless she is named Monica. All she did was make her own armor (not take Tony's like Doom did) and went about her business.
    Eh. With Riri, the problem wasn't that she was black, female, or both; it's that she came out of nowhere and replaced Tony Stark. That, and her attitude. I had similar problems with Amadeus as the new Hulk; and most of the other replacements did make big deals about their race/gender/sexuality/whatever was defining them in place of, I don't know, good characterization.

Like I said, my concern is with writers who are more interested in pushing a social agenda than with telling good stories. You can do both; but too often, Bendis' days were associated with the former rather than the latter.

But again, I'm hoping to be surprised. Is that ok with you?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Eh. With Riri, the problem wasn't that she was black, female, or both; it's that she came out of nowhere and replaced Tony Stark. That, and her attitude. I had similar problems with Amadeus as the new Hulk; and most of the other replacements did make big deals about their race/gender/sexuality/whatever was defining them in place of, I don't know, good characterization.

Like I said, my concern is with writers who are more interested in pushing a social agenda than with telling good stories. You can do both; but too often, Bendis' days were associated with the former rather than the latter.

But again, I'm hoping to be surprised. Is that ok with you?
    You do realise that's literally what Miles did too, right?
    In fact, it's kinda par for the course with legacy characters. At least it is nowadays. People have shorter attention spans and writers can't spend a boatload of time having a character get introduced and then painstakingly slowly get groomed for the role.
    #EmmaWasRight

That, ladies and gentlemen, is Kon-El. Awesome.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El