Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Well they could.use the old origin "young girl thief" lol.

I expect updated origins,like SB having the lex/superman hybrid origin
    I mean, that's going back to Conner's old origin (or at least his second Post-Crisis one), so I hope that means we get back Cassie being an empowered Wonder Woman fangirl instead of a reformed criminal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, that's going back to Conner's old origin (or at least his second Post-Crisis one), so I hope that means we get back Cassie being an empowered Wonder Woman fangirl instead of a reformed criminal.
    The 'reformed criminal' gimmick would have been much more suitable for several other TT characters, not Cassie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't really like that Superman is basically the inspiration or mentor figure to all new books (New Dial H, Naomi and Wonder Twins).
    It's kind of a missed opportunity to highlight others like Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter or Vixen. He shouldn't be the only worth looking up to.
    Yeah, Batman and Superman we know has inspired many people into becoming Heroes. Wonder Woman, for being part of the trinity, really does get little recognition with inspiring superheroes.

I have a feeling that Naomi will be Bendis’ DC take on what he tried with Riri Williams over at Marvel. (Incidentally, Marvel has started a new Ironheart series, and it looks so far to be a major improvement over Bendis’ take on the character.) We’ll see how that goes; it’s possible that he’ll get it right this time around.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I have a feeling that Naomi will be Bendis’ DC take on what he tried with Riri Williams over at Marvel. (Incidentally, Marvel has started a new Ironheart series, and it looks so far to be a major improvement over Bendis’ take on the character.) We’ll see how that goes; it’s possible that he’ll get it right this time around.
    What did he get wrong with Riri? I have read the book and it seems more folks had an issue with her existing than what was in the book. Over here the difference is at least folks will actually READ the book before allowing certain youtubers to dictate how they should feel about it. Like what is going on with Inronheart. Ask for opinions of those who READ the book not the guys who HEARD it was good.

I don't really like that Superman is basically the inspiration or mentor figure to all new books (New Dial H, Naomi and Wonder Twins).
    It's kind of a missed opportunity to highlight others like Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter or Vixen. He shouldn't be the only worth looking up to.
    And the line of complaints about why would anyone be inspired by those three among others would start at the left.

The 'reformed criminal' gimmick would have been much more suitable for several other TT characters, not Cassie.
    How about NONE of them. It didn't help black Wally West.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What did he get wrong with Riri? I have read the book and it seems more folks had an issue with her existing than what was in the book. Over here the difference is at least folks will actually READ the book before allowing certain youtubers to dictate how they should feel about it. Like what is going on with Inronheart. Ask for opinions of those who READ the book not the guys who HEARD it was good.
    The problem with Riri is that he wrote her for his adopted black daughter as someone she could relate to, so of course she couldn't just have built armor while in MIT (that's standard superhero stuff), she also had to impress every single superhero she came across and become BFFs with all of them, be immediately accepted and loved by the infamously fickle Marvel citizens, and do things like take over Latveria because she knows best. The reason she only got good after Bendis left was because writers showed how her believing what's best can be a flaw, gave her realistic challenges and people she had to deal with, to the point where she's actually a bit of an underdog sometimes, while still leaving the optimism and determination that was actually endearing intact.

As a side note, the new character Bendis is introducing that I'm most worried about is Teen Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The problem with Riri is that he wrote her for his adopted black daughter as someone she could relate to, so of course she couldn't just have built armor while in MIT (that's standard superhero stuff), she also had to impress every single superhero she came across and become BFFs with all of them, be immediately accepted and loved by the infamously fickle Marvel citizens, and do things like take over Latveria because she knows best. The reason she only got good after Bendis left was because writers showed how her believing what's best can be a flaw, gave her realistic challenges and people she had to deal with, to the point where she's actually a bit of an underdog sometimes, while still leaving the optimism and determination that was actually endearing intact.
    This. Not every criticism of Riri Williams is uninformed, and I'll thank you not to assume otherwise.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

And the line of complaints about why would anyone be inspired by those three among others would start at the left.

How about NONE of them. It didn't help black Wally West.
    The reformed criminal gimmick would have worked better with New 52 Terra. Black Wally had bigger problems than being a reformed criminal, but he's gotten some character development since then.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

As a side note, the new character Bendis is introducing that I'm most worried about is Teen Lantern.
    Lmao is that what Bendis said he did or are you bringing his black kid(s) up to justify how you feel a character was introduced in a book, because as someone who has read Riri and makes sure to read Bendis interviews I have not come across him saying he created the character for his daughter on the other hand he did say his daughter liking Wonder Twins told him he was on right track in getting a book for them.

The reasons that you bring up for what he did wrong with Riri is all bulls**t let's be honest, marvel citizens loved her ...where, she hardly interacted with citizens, Bendis let her take over a country that's not being led anyway for 1 or 2 issues after defeating a villain like heroes do no matter what age or experience ...what is the problem.

And she's not being written better, her current solo writer is changing her personality into some geek girl crap and her writing for Champions is at best passable considering she's had small showings of development.

Just b/c she's more palatable to you b/c she's "in her place" (is probably how you feel) does not mean she's being written better, she was already well written.

I can't take people's bitterness about Riri or what Bendis does seriously especially when it's the same regurgitated crap others started and is now being parroted like it actually makes sense and are good reasons when it would be better to admit that you just don't like the character b/c of Bendis or b/c she was the main Iron Man, or her personality wasn't/didn't act feminine enough for you, or that you just don't care about the character no bs reason.

Also the comment that Bendis is gonna gonna finish what he started with Riri on Naomi is weird considering he stated Wonder Comics is gonna be what he was doing with Miles and Riri and yet people are only connecting Riri and Naomi together like they would be the same character or be similar in any way outside of being teens ...hmm.

This. Not every criticism of Riri Williams is uninformed, and I'll thank you not to assume otherwise.
    Wow, this contribution to the conversation was so necessary despite you not actually proving anything...
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-08-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Also the comment that Bendis is gonna gonna finish what he started with Riri on Naomi is weird considering he stated Wonder Comics is gonna be what he was doing with Miles and Riri and yet people are only connecting Riri and Naomi together like they would be the same character or be similar in any way outside of being teens ...hmm.
    The comments become even more confusing when the only character Bendis has directly compared to Naomi has been Jessica Jones because of them being totally new characters made in an imprint of the main house.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Agree to disagree.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Lmao is that what Bendis said he did or are you bringing his black kid(s) up to justify how you feel a character was introduced in a book, because as someone who has read Riri and makes sure to read Bendis interviews I have not come across him saying he created the character for his daughter on the other hand he did say his daughter liking Wonder Twins told him he was on right track in getting a book for them.
    I did. Can't find it now, but that's definitely what he said.

For the record, I'm not trying to disparage anyone who likes it, I'm just trying to explain the reasons why there are people who don't like it, and only started liking Riri once she started to be handled by writers other than Bendis.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 12-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Personally I trust the Naomi series because David Walker is also on it, I don't know to what extent he shares writing with Bendis but Walker generally puts out some very good series in my opinion.

Although I will wait and see what exactly the main character can do, I mean all we know about her at this point is that something about a fight between Mogul and Superman caused her to look into her birth. Beyond that we know zip, like if she actually has powers or is using special gadgets, or even if she really is just some random teenager doing some light detecting. Out of all the characters in this line she is kind of the rogue element as this could literally turn into any kind of story by the end of issue 1.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.