Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X-23 #5 Preview

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Esma was possessing Gabby. Sophie was Laura.
    Esme. :P

I totally read that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Okaaay. Art was great as always, but there was one line in this issue that really hit a sour note, to the point that I'm just going to check out now.

spoilers:
    Laura says "You've taken the body of the one person I like in this world" and... no. Sorry, I can't even with that nonsense. Even if we assume Laura's outgrown all of her relationships with the NXM, we're seriously supposed to believe that Jubilee, Gambit, Debbie, Daken, etc. don't even register with her anymore? Sure, I can buy that Gabby's the most important person in Laura's life right now, but she shouldn't be Laura's entire world. And given what that hints at re: Tamaki's approach with Laura going forward, I really don't have a lot of interest keeping up. I read through ANW and I'm going to finish out XMR, but the Laura and Gabby Show is getting kind of old for me at this point.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed. I think a much better line, which would have nailed the point to the Cuckoos as well, would have been ...
    spoilers:
    "You've taken the only sister I have left."
    end of spoilers

Since Laura's known for pointed dialogue that isn't subtle at all, that would not only be more in character, but it would still show how important Gabby is to her.

Great arc. This will definitely be my go-to arc for introducing people to Laura.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Great arc. This will definitely be my go-to arc for introducing people to Laura.
    Yeah, it was fantastic. Looking forward to the next issue.
    I do want to see Gambit in it at some point; I LOVED their interactions with Liu.
    Also Logan at some point, but really Gambit I care more about.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    spoilers:
    I kind of agree with Anduinel that the line is problematic. Even if it is just meant to be a hyperbolic throw-away, it's still the sort of thing that can lead to accusations of character shilling. Also, just WHY is Beast still getting invited to Laura's family functions? And I'm pretty sure that wasn't Surge; she wasn't wearing her gauntlets, so without Word of God it was an artist's error and they were missing I don't think we can say that it is without some other hint.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    we've seen Surge drawn incorrectly and without her gauntlets PLENTY of times though. Hell, her first cameo appearance in Strain's Gen X was her sitting down, missing her gauntlets and faceless.
    end of spoilers

My favorite panel

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Question so now that Esme has control over Gabby's body. How will they go about removing Esme from Gabby or will she forever be trapped within Gabby's psyche?
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    Question so now that Esme has control over Gabby's body. How will they go about removing Esme from Gabby or will she forever be trapped within Gabby's psyche?
    huh? Esme no longer has control over Gabby's body. She was defeated and extracted this issue

BANNED

I don't understand why Esme said "matricide".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    spoilers:
    Since the cuckoos are in Paris, they could do a one shot about them. I would enjoy it.

Now we'll have their absence for probably a year, maybe more. But I think that's good since we have way too many telepaths around

Still I'm hopeful for a one shot
    end of spoilers

Edit:
    spoilers:
    If i got it right, what happened was:
    - Esme is dead, but plant the idea of bringing her back in the head of the others cuckoos
    - 3-in1 bring Sophie and Esme back
    - Esme kills Sophie
    - Sophie does the same as Esme, but instead of the cuckoos, she reaches for Laura
    - Esme is killed.
    - They're both dead again and Celeste is injured (and for some reason, no diamond form)
    end of spoilers
    Esme caught Celeste off-guard. She didn't have a chance to shift into diamond form. Or was that Phoebe. Either way, she didn't have time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    yea that felt like a bad edit. It means killing your mother and was completely random. I thought I skipped a page or something.

Looks like the series is shaping up nicely, can't wait to read the rest after I finish ANW Vol 6
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Okaaay. Art was great as always, but there was one line in this issue that really hit a sour note, to the point that I'm just going to check out now.

spoilers:
    Laura says "You've taken the body of the one person I like in this world" and... no. Sorry, I can't even with that nonsense. Even if we assume Laura's outgrown all of her relationships with the NXM, we're seriously supposed to believe that Jubilee, Gambit, Debbie, Daken, etc. don't even register with her anymore? Sure, I can buy that Gabby's the most important person in Laura's life right now, but she shouldn't be Laura's entire world. And given what that hints at re: Tamaki's approach with Laura going forward, I really don't have a lot of interest keeping up. I read through ANW and I'm going to finish out XMR, but the Laura and Gabby Show is getting kind of old for me at this point.
    end of spoilers
    Definitely agree that it was a terrible line of dialogue, and there were so many better phrases that could have been used. I seriously hope that Tamaki really doesn’t see Gabby as the literal only person Laura likes. It would be pretty unacceptable.

Other than that, it was a good issue and good ending to the arc. The switching between artists didn’t seem too distracting, although I found it pretty obvious to identify which panels were drawn by Cabal most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    I'm assuming it was an editing error, and Esme meant to use the word "Sororicide" for killing your sister.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm assuming it was an editing error, and Esme meant to use the word "Sororicide" for killing your sister.
    But she thought she was killing Beast...she didn't even know about Sophie or Mindee.

Maybe someone with a twitter can clear it up.