Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default the Greatest Horror Movie Ever Is...?

We'll? The Greatest Is...?

The Shining. That's my usual go to at least.

The scariest movies I have ever seen are:
    The Exorcist
    The Omen (Gregory Peck, Lee Remick version)
    Alien

William Crain's Blacula.

"Greatest" as in?

- What I Objectively Believe To Be The Greatest Achievement In Horror Film Making?

or

- Horror Film That I Enjoy The Most?

Evil Dead II
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Dracula (1931)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

For me, it's a toss up between Nightmare on Elm Street and The Exorcist.

1978's Halloween. That's me talking myself out of it being John Carpenter's other classic The Thing.

The vibe of Halloween is creepy from front to back despite the grisly shit Meyers does... Shoutout to Grizzly from the 70's as well. Not the greatest by any stretch and still lol. The only thing I've ever tripped on in Halloween is how Meyers learned to drive a car after being in an asylum all those years but c'mon, everything else is 10/10 so that detail is just for the jokes.
    Last edited by Surf; 10-05-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Boisterously Confused

I can't pick one, but I admit to smiling every time I see The Thing From Another World. I'm also a great fan of The Legacy.

Retired

Objectively, I believe THE HAUNTING (1963) might be the greatest horror movie, as it makes it onto many lists. It's subtle by today's standards, but it's probably the most influential movie of the haunted house variety. It's one of the four movies that gave me nightmares as a kid and still is the source of several irrational fears I have.

Well it's all subjective, since what scares one person may not faze another. I grew up in a rural area, so films like "Friday the 13th Part 2" really unnerved me as a child (The creepy shack with the severed head shrine in the middle of the woods) as did the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and " Night of the Living Dead. " Pretty much anything that disturbed you at an early age will probably also factor into the mix. The film's "Jaws," the original " Poltergeist , "" Reanimator, " "the Shining, " original "Nightmare on Elm Street" and the original Carpenter " Halloween" all made for sleepless nights. As far as adult nightmares go, The "Ringu" and American remake "The Ring," " It Follows, " "The Babadook" and "Lights Out" were (imo) excellent. (Sidenote: it's sad that I have to type "the original" for so many of these films so not to confuse anyone with the inferior remakes. )

if you are thinking critically acclaimed or genre defining/ influential horror, obviously Universal's classic monsters "Dracula," " Frankenstein " and "Bride of Frankenstein" were all very groundbreaking movies, and created the iconic images of these characters. "The Exorcist," " Rosemary's Baby," "Get Out, "" Silence of the Lambs," "Misery, " "Alien," "Psycho," and "an American Werewolf in London" have all won academy awards.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

In terms of influence and laying the ground work for slasher films that came after, Psycho and the original Halloween

In terms of scariest movie I ever saw to the point I was afraid to go near my tv for 3 months afterwards: The Ring
    Last edited by cadet; 10-05-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Greatest" as in?

- What I Objectively Believe To Be The Greatest Achievement In Horror Film Making?

or

- Horror Film That I Enjoy The Most?
    Isn't that how most discussions about horror movies go? Even on date nights?

I'd say pick a lane and run with it.

Retired

It depends when you first saw a movie. It takes a lot to scare me now--GET OUT and A QUIET PLACE made me nervous but they didn't give me nightmares. It's the movies that I saw as a kid that gave me night terrors--and not all of them were outright horror movies--THE WIZARD OF OZ, THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T, THE HAUNTING and WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?--plus some episodes of THE OUTER LIMITS.

I feel like it's a put-down of PSYCHO to call it a horror movie, let alone a slasher film. Hitch made thrillers.