Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

John Carpenter's The Thing. It's the only horror movie I've seen where the scare scenes can truly work on multiple viewings, as long as some time passes between them.
    It's especially great to watch when it's dark and snowy outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It depends when you first saw a movie. It takes a lot to scare me now--GET OUT and A QUIET PLACE made me nervous but they didn't give me nightmares. It's the movies that I saw as a kid that gave me night terrors--and not all of them were outright horror movies--THE WIZARD OF OZ, THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T, THE HAUNTING and WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?--plus some episodes of THE OUTER LIMITS.
    Ooooh, those are all good choices as well! ( "Return to Oz" also, the head room and Wheelers are straight up childhood nightmare fuel.) And i so loved hiding under the covers watching TNT Monstervision "Outer Limits" marathons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    John Carpenter's The Thing. It's the only horror movie I've seen where the scare scenes can truly work on multiple viewings, as long as some time passes between them.
    Another great film I totally forgot to mention!
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    My favorite fun tidbit is that there's a team in the Antarctic that watches the movie annually on the first full day of winter.

https://www.techly.com.au/2015/09/04...-every-winter/

That's a tough one. I might have to go with The Descent. That movie is pants-sh!ttingly unnerving even before the monsters show up, at least for anyone scared of being stuck in small spaces.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I would say either The Thing or Alien.

The Sixth Sense comes to mind.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Troll 2 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    1978's Halloween. That's me talking myself out of it being John Carpenter's other classic The Thing.

The vibe of Halloween is creepy from front to back despite the grisly **** Meyers does... Shoutout to Grizzly from the 70's as well. Not the greatest by any stretch and still lol. The only thing I've ever tripped on in Halloween is how Meyers learned to drive a car after being in an asylum all those years but c'mon, everything else is 10/10 so that detail is just for the jokes.
    The man in Black/The Cult of Thorn showed him how to drive. Lol

Boisterously Confused

It was TV, but I don't think any film ever frightened me as much as the adaptation of Salem's Lot. Of course, the book had the same impact on me.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It was TV, but I don't think any film ever frightened me as much as the adaptation of Salem's Lot. Of course, the book had the same impact on me.
    A worthy choice as it delivered big time chills, definitely NOT something to watch with the lights off. Another made for TV vampire thriller that hit all the right (as in scary) notes was The Night Stalker.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

The Texts Chain Saw Massacre.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A worthy choice as it delivered big time chills, definitely NOT something to watch with the lights off. Another made for TV vampire thriller that hit all the right (as in scary) notes was The Night Stalker.
    Yeah, that Vegas hooker vampire story was the most frightening episode I think the series ever put out. Although I have to say the Richard Kiel shapechanger story, and The Black Knight were both pretty intense too.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, that Vegas hooker vampire story was the most frightening episode I think the series ever put out. Although I have to say the Richard Kiel shapechanger story, and The Black Knight were both pretty intense too.
    I meant the original telefilm that came before the series. But yeah, it was good too.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

The original Halloween and Night of The Living Dead.

I'll go with The Exorcist as well as some other people have. It still scares me to this day.

My personal favorite is A Nightmare on Elm Street.