Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Every time I see they say there is not much to look at in terms of Dick Grayson’s Robin history I know that the person is judging it from a Batman ‘66 POV. Not all of Robin’s stories were cheesy,
    But the old stories are still not as good as the newer stuff. The quality of story telling in comics massively improved in the bronze age, when Dick left Gotham and went to collage.

Imo the pre crisis Jason stuff is way better than any stories from Dicks original run.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He was trained by both Batman and Shiva (So really he was off on Tim not having the martial training).
    He didn't really got much training from Shiva, and was still not a really good fighter for (real life) years after that training.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But the old stories are still not as good as the newer stuff. The quality of story telling in comics massively improved in the bronze age, when Dick left Gotham and went to collage.

Imo the pre crisis Jason stuff is way better than any stories from Dicks original run.

He didn't really got much training from Shiva, and was still not a really good fighter for (real life) years after that training.
    Tim was always an average fighter but a great detective, the most cerebral of the Robins.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

The thing is we don't know what training current Tim has in canon. If he's so young 16 and Damian is 13 [became age 10] what is Tim's history? What was he doing?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    The thing is we don't know what training current Tim has in canon. If he's so young 16 and Damian is 13 [became age 10] what is Tim's history? What was he doing?
    I think for a discussion like this it is the best to go with the original runs of the characters.

Btw. when it comes to Jason (post crisis) I find that you can't really say how skilled he actually was as Robin, since there is just not enough material to really judge that. He never really had a solo book, and the only stories where he really had a lot of focus are his origin, Diplomats Son, DITF and that short story from Annual #12.
    In the video it is for example said that Jason wasn't that good with tech and detective skill (at least the fist one is actually debatable, since it was said that that he had university level knowledge of computer science and was quite good with electronics), but the thing is there (appart from maybe DITF) no stories where he had to use such skills.
    Last edited by Aahz; 10-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I think for a discussion like this it is the best to go with the original runs of the characters.

Btw. when it comes to Jason (post crisis) I find that you can't really say how skilled he actually was as Robin, since there is just not enough material to really judge that. He never really had a solo book, and the only stories where he really had a lot of focus are his origin, Diplomats Son, DITF and that short story from Annual #12.
    In the video it is for example said that Jason wasn't that good with tech and detective skill (at least the fist one is actually debatable, since it was said that that he had university level knowledge of computer science and was quite good with electronics), but the thing is there (appart from maybe DITF) no stories where he had to use such skills.
    Then I agree that Tim was an average fighter but he had a lot of cunning.

@sixspeedsamurai I think that Damian is the most cerebral of the Robins. Comparing them 13 year old Damian to Tim at 13 there really is no contest.

Fantastic Member

I think Damian is the best Robin because I think he is the best in that role and I think the other Robins are better when they leave the role of Robin. Jason is best as Red Hood, Dick is best as Nightwing and Tim is best as Red Robin.

Judging it from a current day POV is unfair as the writing is different and every Dick as Robin story is Nastalgic/Batman focused. Only in media do you see any Dick Grayson Robin stories that aren’t Batman focused.

LoL ya when it comes to tech that has to do with the times, not the characters themselves. They were versed in the technology of their time.

BANNED

LOL tim drake fans are so salty at Damien it's not the character fault that writers like to write him while time is boring and bland (in my opinion)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Judging it from a current day POV is unfair as the writing is different and every Dick as Robin story is Nastalgic/Batman focused. Only in media do you see any Dick Grayson Robin stories that aren’t Batman focused.
    I have to agree, Batman and all his allies are to day so far more powerfull than he was before the Morrison Era, that it is hard to compare these older stories to the new ones with Damian.

But I think at least for comparing Dick with Tim there is a good basis at least for the pre flashpoint continuity, since we have for both some stories from their early time as Robin that were written by Chuck Dixon. And there is even an issue of them both teaming up as Robin during Zero Hour (in Robin #10).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Simple and fair. I agree with most that Dick deserves more points for being the first and original. He also has the best backstory, and I think should get points in the "partner" category for being so acrobatic, a colorful distraction that supplements his stealth.

BANNED

I LOVE Dick, Jason, and Damian. I HATE Tim Dreck and hope he dies in the most horrible, mangy, rotten way possible--and if I ever replaced Didio (yeah, fat chance), you guys could bet 1000% on it happening. And it would make Joker's crowbar and bomb look like a love tap.

Tim is the best Robin. Dickie bird is a close second.

I prefer Jason as Red Hood and Stephanie as Batgirl or Spoiler.

BANNED

I think that each generation feels that "their" Robin, the one they grew up with, is the best.

I like Dick best. Felt he is the model for batman.
    Like Damian least. Felt he is too much of a marysue.