View Poll Results: What are the best independent series you've read or are reading?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lousy, I hated it

0 0%
  • Eh

0 0%
  • S'ok

1 50.00%
  • Story was ok, art was a little... y'know

0 0%
  • I would buy it if I had the extra on me

0 0%
  • Better than I thought it would be

0 0%
  • Read better than it looked

0 0%
  • You gotta have this too

1 50.00%
  • I would put something back to get this

0 0%
  • The Best I've ever read

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    All-New Member

Default Please let me know what you think are the best of the best out there.

Hey guys, I'm new to the posts. I am nearly 60 years old and I'm getting a little jaded when it comes to the superhero community (although Batman has stirred up a few things lately) and I'm wondring what you guys are finding in the non-superhero genre that is keeping you going.

For me, I think that The Black Monday Murders is incredible, as is Ice Cream Man. Also, I'm enjoying Scarlett from Bendis and Gaydos, not so much Cover from he and Mack though, surprisingly.

As for all time hits for me, I loved Baker Street from Guy Davis, Alias from Bendis and Gaydos, and about the first three or four years of Heavy Metal, okay, maybe even the first five years.

Graphics novels include the early Chaykin stuff, Empire and The Stars My Desination, any of the Corben stuff, but Especially Neverwhere, Night Music by P Craig Russell, A Contract With God of course and others.

I also have a full run of Star Reach, and I think that the stuff Eclipse published in the horror and science fiction line was our generation's version of the EC line. Thank you, Bruce Jones and Co.

So I could go on and on, but I'd love to hear some of your input.

Please get this going,

Mark

All-New Member

The poll, BTW, is just to get input on the titles people list in their response to the original posting.

Thanks,

M

For independent stuff, have you tried anything written by Ed Brubaker?

I liked Velvet and The Fade Out, but it sounds like Fatale may be up your alley.

All-New Member

Anything by this team is good. Big fan,

M

Edgar Rice Burroughs The Land That Time Forgot all f them and the current Fear on Four Worlds - American Mythology

Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome - Valiant

Uber (writer: Kieron Gillen, artists: various) is amazing and deserves to be a bigger hit. It's set in the final days of WW2 and runs with the idea "What if Hitler actually got his ubermensch?" Nazi scientists create super-soldiers and turn the tide of battle. Germany starts winning and for other countries around the world the race to get nukes is replaced with a rush to get their own superpowered troops. A brutal, gritty story with all sorts of twists and turns.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Everything in my signature, below, is there 'cause at 68 years old, I really really enjoyed'm enough to recommend'm! Good luck in your search!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet