Astonishing Member

Default Is Spider-Man spin off movies a good idea?

It looks like Sony wants to create a bunch of Spider-Man spin off movies, starting with Venom and moving to Kraven and Morbieus. Is this is a good idea? I actually do not think Venom, at least Eddie Brock Venom, is that interesting on his own, I think really he is only interesting in relation to Spidey and most of his solo stories were terrible. I like Kraven well enough, but he works best as a antagonist, not a protagonist, he can be the villain of a Spider-Man movie, but I do not think he can headline his own film. Some characters work best as villains and supporting characters rather then protagonists.

Astonishing Member

Which antagonists do you use for the Spider-Man villains? Generic corrupt governments? Dictators? Mob bosses? Corporations? Newly created villains for the movies who are more evil than the protagonist?

Not sold on the idea of solo villain movies.

Extraordinary Member

I actually think that it can work. Venom and Morbius are probably the two easiest ones to do, especially if they were being implemented in the MCU.

The problem is Sony.

Honestly of all the solo movies they pitched, Silk is the only one I think has potential, because you can use that character to tell a great story completely separate of anything Spider-Man. A very powerful story about dealing with anxiety and isolation.

No, it's not a good idea. Making Spider-Man spin-offs with no Spider-Man in that universe is just dumb. Morbius maybe can get away with it because he's not much connected to Spider-Man. But someone like Kraven? A solo movie about that guy? That's just dumb.

I'm not a fan of villain spin-offs in general anyway.

No! No one outside of comic fandom has any idea who these characters are and much less why they should care for them. This is a diaster waiting to happen.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    No! No one outside of comic fandom has any idea who these characters are and much less why they should care for them. This is a diaster waiting to happen.
    Big advantage Sony has for them is just plopping that Marvel Logo for the trailers and before the movie. General audience is drawn to the MCU brand.

BANNED

It's a decent idea in theory, but not the way Sony seems to be doing it.

iMan 42s

No, a Venom movie is perfectly doable. The only thing that's holding it back is the writing but you can easily do Venom even without Spider-man. A Venom movie is totally doable, so is Morbius so long as you know the themes and beats your audience wants to see tackled. Morbius can easily be a movie without a villain in that it's Micheal trying to control his condition. It's him and everyone else reacting to him that creates tension. You don't need a villain because you already got the Living Vampire. The Vampire being your own villain makes enough sense.

Kraven I could easily see being set in the Savage Land or better yet, Monster Island. The movie being similar in tone to The Lost World Jurassic Park with Kraven acting as a super-powered Roland Tembo. Kraven, like Roland, could be a jaded hunter. He's killed and survived everything from man to beast and is bored. What else does this world have to offer a man like Kraven anyways? So upon hearing of a place that could satisfy his urge to face something bigger than himself sets off to this unknown place and Kraven confronts man and monster on his way there. The movie could be about Kraven in a way achieving peace in that he's tackled what in his mind is the Ultimate questions "is he the king of the jungle?" and "does it matter that you can hold the throne?".

Kraven is jaded
    Kraven learns of place that can make him happy
    Kraven goes there
    -Kraven confronts man
    -Kraven confronts monster
    -Kraven confronts himself
    Kraven then destroys his white whale so to speak and the film ends on this being what makes him happy as the king of the beasts, or ends possibly as a downer with him being unimpressed with even those results.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.