Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NYCC Spider-Panel News

Live coverage of the Spider-Man Panel.
    “Peter Parker has a new roommate, the supervillain called Boomerang,” Spencer said. “He’s broke, so Boomerang convinces Peter to go to the bar with no name to play Spider-Man trivia night, which all goes wrong. I love writing him and Pete together so much.”

“Do we have any Black Cat fans?” Spencer then asked, alluding to the plot of the arc kicking off in Amazing Spider-Man #8. “It’s got some new villains, and it’s at the heart of it, about Peter and Black Cat.”

As for MJ, Spencer confirmed that she would be “[running] into a familiar face,” as well.
    Next up, the attention shifted to Spider-Geddon, and executive editor Nick Lowe screened a trailer for the event, confirming the PS4 Spider-Man’s introduction into the comics. It was also confirmed that Peter Parker will take the backseat, with Miles Morales front and center.
    McGuire then discussed the upcoming Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider series, noting that “Gwen basically gets taken off the board for a while.”

“There are a lot of exploding season fruits,” McGuire joked about the series. “She’s in a world she’s never seen before, and she’s gonna have to dodge a lot of pumpkin bombs if she wants to make it.”
    Lowe then steered the discussion to The Superior Spider-Man, showing off some of Mike Hawthorne’s uncolored art depicting Spidey fighting Stilt-Man.
    Lowe showed off some cover art for the various upcoming Spider-Geddon tie-in issues, including Spider-Force #1, which received a massive round of applause.

Priest then went on to recount his first meeting with previous Spider-Man writer Dan Slott, joking about how Dan explained to him all 10 years of his run on the title over the course of dinner.

“There’s a Spider-Kid that I’m very proud of,” Priest said, referring to one of the new characters he created for Spider-Force. “He’s like Damian Wayne with web-shooters. Then, there’s Astro-Spider.”
    Ahmed then discussed his upcoming Miles Morales series.

“Miles is back in school, back in Brooklyn,” he said. “He’s at the start of a new school year as the series starts. And he’s keeping a journal that he’s possibly ill-advisingly keeping more secrets in that he should. Without giving too much away, I’m a fan of the villain-hero team-up, so maybe everything isn’t what it seems between him and the Rhyno.” He also noted that Miles’ uncle Aaron Davis will be “back in a big way.
    Looking forward, Lowe announced The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, by Tom Taylor and Juann Cabal, coming in January.

“It’s about him in his neighborhood,” Lowe said. “It’s a story that starts small, then gets really big.”
    During the Q&A, a fan asked about Teresa possibly factoring into Spencer’s run.

“It’s definitely something I’d like to explore,” Spencer said. “You never know, it might come up.”

Another fan asked if anything was going to be done about the poor shape of Peter’s life.

“Yeah, something’s gonna be done,” Spencer said. “It’s gonna get worse. It’s gonna get a whole lot worse. This is the job when it’s Spider-Man. There’s always new adversity. But yeah, he’s unemployed. This is a real thing. You’re supposed to feel bad for him.”

The next question was if fans should be concerned about Ben Reilly.

“Yes,” Lowe said. “You should be concerned. Things are looking bleak for him. He’s got some things coming up in Spider-Geddon.”

Another fan dressed as Spider-Man asked if Spencer would ever add him to a comic book, and Spencer jokingly replied that he’d try to make it happen.

Then, a fan asked who the panelists’ favorite alternate Spider-Man characters are. Lowe said Spider-Mam, Spencer said Spider-Man 2099, Kathleen said Spider-Ham, McGuire said Spider-Gwen, Ahmed said Spiders-Man and Priest also said Spider-Mam.

A fan then expressed her dissatisfaction with the death of Flash Thompson, but Spencer said there aren’t any plans to bring him back any time soon.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm wondering now if Spider-Geddon is kind of a reworking of Slott's original pitch for Spider-Verse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I the original idea was for SpOck to be the primary viewpoint character of the Event, but that got tweaked when Superior ended.

Seems like whatever 616!Peter's role will be, will be coming into play more in the final stretch of the story.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'm wondering now if Spider-Geddon is kind of a reworking of Slott's original pitch for Spider-Verse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I the original idea was for SpOck to be the primary viewpoint character of the Event, but that got tweaked when Superior ended.

Seems like whatever 616!Peter's role will be, will be coming into play more in the final stretch of the story.
    I mean, so far it seems pretty in-line with the original Spider-Verse just by making 616!Peter irrelevant to the main story .

But I guess Insomniac Peter is also there. Funnily enough this might be the first time he sees Miles in-costume, even if it's not his Miles.

The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, by Tom Taylor and Juann Cabal, coming in January
    Obviously replacing Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    When do you think Peter will make a decision about the school situation?

What does that have to do with me saying Friendly Neighborhood replaces Spectacular? You're talking about Amazing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Is it?

https://www.newsarama.com/42203-nycc...pider-man.html

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man will continue with Sean Ryan and Juan Frigeri on the creative team. Lowe describes it as a bit of a throwback to the JMS JRJr run of Amazing Spider-Man.
    Or is this just for Spider-Geddon?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    When do you think Peter will make a decision about the school situation?
    Soon, I hope. That said, these announcements are making me very excited, yet very nervous and concerned. I hope Spencer at least addresses Flash's death and Peter's (and Mary Jane's) feelings about it in the course of his run, and I am also worried that Ben Reilly will be a casualty of Spider-Geddon after his series didn't quite take off the way people would've hoped. On the upside, I am stoked for Tom Taylor writing The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, mostly because I want to see Spidey team up with Laura and Gabby Kinney, and since Juann Cabal is or was doing the art for X-23 already . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The next question was if fans should be concerned about Ben Reilly.

“Yes,” Lowe said. “You should be concerned. Things are looking bleak for him. He’s got some things coming up in Spider-Geddon.”
    The real answer is, "If you're a fan of Ben Reilly, you should never not be concerned."

-Pav, who hopes he isn't the traitor of Spidergeddon...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The real answer is, "If you're a fan of Ben Reilly, you should never not be concerned."

-Pav, who hopes he isn't the traitor of Spidergeddon...
    Same here. It would be absolutely disappointing to waste all the effort in redeeming him as a character after The Clone Conspiracy.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Seems like I was right about 616 Peter having a smaller role in Spidergeddon. Unemployed Peter is still here and kicking. Interested in who is the familiar face to MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Is it?

https://www.newsarama.com/42203-nycc...pider-man.html

Or is this just for Spider-Geddon?
    It seems like they're referring to the Spider-Geddon tie-in (especially since Morlun is going to be a big part of it).

FNSP sounds in premise a lot like Zdarsky's Spec so I wouldn't be surprised if it's being primed as a replacement book rather then just relaunch Spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Seems like I was right about 616 Peter having a smaller role in Spidergeddon. Unemployed Peter is still here and kicking. Interested in who is the familiar face to MJ.
    I wonder if it's a familiar face to Spider-Man fans or a familiar face on personal level for MJ?

Like, Pedro? Jonathan Ceasar? "Bruce" ?

That reminds me that it's been a while since we've seen MJ's family.

I wonder if it's a familiar face to Spider-Man fans or a familiar face on personal level for MJ?

Fingers crossed for Bobby Carr Or maybe Brady O'Brien for another Sensational Spider-Man Annual reference?

I don't think they've ever gotten as much drama out of MJ's dad as they could have.

I do concur with the thought that Miles' keeping a journal is probably a bad idea depending on how "open" he is in it. Like, is it any wonder people keep figuring out he's Spider-Man ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Fingers crossed for Bobby Carr Or maybe Brady O'Brien for another Sensational Spider-Man Annual reference?
    That would be kind of interesting if only to see if he even remembers that annual. Like, does he remember almost arresting MJ for her connection to Spider-Man or is stuff like that completely erased via the mind-wipe?

I do get a feeling it'll probably be an ex-boyfriend. Which would be fitting for an arc also focused on Peter and Felicia.