Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is your religion?

Do you have a religion, and if so, what is it?
    Are you devoted to it?
    How do you come by it?

As for me, I am a christian.
    I am very devoted to my religion, though I don't go to church.
    AS to how I come by it, I have been searching very hard to find God, but I am uncertain which religion He comes from.
    So, I pray a prayer everyday to him to reveal to me which religion he is from.
    Eventually, I have a feeling he comes from the christian religion.
    So, I choose to follow Him, and believe in Jesus.
    I had never regretted my decisions.
    Enough about me, it is your time to share!

Let's not turn this into a if there is God or not debate!

So no atheist, huh?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Are you devoted to it?
    How do you come by it?

AS to how I come by it, I have been searching very hard to find God, but I am uncertain which religion He comes from.

Let's not turn this into a if there is God or not debate!
    And, of course, it's pure coincidence that Christianity is the dominant and most socially acceptable religion of our culture.

I do agree with you though about not turning this into an argument about whether or not a god or gods exist. I'm an atheist or at least an agnostic. If there is a god, it would be so different than the god of any ancient mythology that almost nobody who believes in any of them would count it as God. But that isn't saying that a god doesn't exist.

But more and more, the option of "No religion" is there. But there is little to no basis for a "God versus No God" argument if it's a Deism vs no god argument since there's not enough either way to argue.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And, of course, it's pure coincidence that Christianity is the dominant and most socially acceptable religion of our culture.

I do agree with you though about not turning this into an argument about whether or not a god or gods exist. I'm an atheist or at least an agnostic. If there is a god, it would be so different than the god of any ancient mythology that almost nobody who believes in any of them would count it as God. But that isn't saying that a god doesn't exist.

But more and more, the option of "No religion" is there. But there is little to no basis for a "God versus No God" argument if it's a Deism vs no god argument since there's not enough either way to argue.
    In my culture, being from Singapore, buddhism is actually the dominant religion. Christians are actually a minority.

I follow the teachings of George Carlin.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    Are you devoted to it?
    How do you come by it?

I am Christian as well. I was raised in the Church of Christ (which is prevalent in the southern Bible Belt in the US). Church of Christ has a few quirky traditions that include singing acappella, communion every Sunday, and an insistence on baptism when you accept Christ. This used to be considered "doctrine" in the CoC back when things were more ultra conservative. Now, these are rightly seen as traditions that we maintain rather than Biblical commandments. I also view myself as a Christian fundamentalist. This means that I take a literal interpretation of the Bible. 6 literal days of creation. More literal interpretation of prophecy. Viewing the world through the lens of the Bible rather than the other way around. It doesn't make me a lot of friends as most find this view offensive, even other Christians but I believe that's how God meant the Bible to be received.

If you believe in the authority of the Scriptures then the correct question is not what religion God comes from, rather than what religion comes from God. According to the Scriptures the entire world at one time knew of God but, due to an unbelieving heart, either perverted or suppressed this truth. This is where pagan religions came into being. From out of this, God called Abraham and set him apart from the rest of the world culture and through him, created the nation of Israel that would be God's chosen people. From out of God's chosen people, God became fully man in the person of Jesus Christ and through Jesus' work on the Cross paid the penalty for the sins of all mankind. Because of this, it is only through faith and the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who saved us from our sins, can we be truly redeemed in the eyes of God.

Out of curiousity, is the reason you do not assemble with a body of Believers a choice or is it difficult to do in Singapore?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I follow the teachings of George Carlin.
    So Joe Pesci

iMan 42s

A bizarre hybrid of Satanism, Hinduism, and Mormon beliefs.

This universe is a lot stranger than one belief system.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Psimitar View Post
    I am Christian as well. I was raised in the Church of Christ (which is prevalent in the southern Bible Belt in the US). Church of Christ has a few quirky traditions that include singing acappella, communion every Sunday, and an insistence on baptism when you accept Christ. This used to be considered "doctrine" in the CoC back when things were more ultra conservative. Now, these are rightly seen as traditions that we maintain rather than Biblical commandments. I also view myself as a Christian fundamentalist. This means that I take a literal interpretation of the Bible. 6 literal days of creation. More literal interpretation of prophecy. Viewing the world through the lens of the Bible rather than the other way around. It doesn't make me a lot of friends as most find this view offensive, even other Christians but I believe that's how God meant the Bible to be received.

If you believe in the authority of the Scriptures then the correct question is not what religion God comes from, rather than what religion comes from God. According to the Scriptures the entire world at one time knew of God but, due to an unbelieving heart, either perverted or suppressed this truth. This is where pagan religions came into being. From out of this, God called Abraham and set him apart from the rest of the world culture and through him, created the nation of Israel that would be God's chosen people. From out of God's chosen people, God became fully man in the person of Jesus Christ and through Jesus' work on the Cross paid the penalty for the sins of all mankind. Because of this, it is only through faith and the belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who saved us from our sins, can we be truly redeemed in the eyes of God.

Out of curiousity, is the reason you do not assemble with a body of Believers a choice or is it difficult to do in Singapore?
    I always wondered about the religious thinking of humankind at the time of - for example -Chauvet cave ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_Cave ).

Any thoughts about that according to a litteral reading of the bible as you're referring to in your post?

(Truly it's a genuine question, even if may guess correctly that I won't be convinced by your answer as. I'm really interested about how any fundamentalist deals with that kinda of stuff...)
    Last edited by Abe; 10-06-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Ultimate Member

Either Neutral Good or Chaotic Neutral -- still working it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I always wondered about the religious thinking of humankind at the time of - for example -Chauvet cave ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_Cave ).

Any thoughts about that according to a litteral reading of the bible as you're referring to in your post?

(Truly it's a genuine question, even if may guess correctly that I won't be convinced by your answer as. I'm really interested about how any fundamentalist deals with that kinda of stuff...)
    To start with, I'm very skeptical about the veracity of carbon dating and I think the methodology used to come to conclusions is flawed. But with that said here's what I think.

When Noah and his family left the ark, they went about the process of procreating and rebuilding society. Up until Babel, civilization more or less stayed in the Middle East region (fertile crescent) as we know that Babel was built in the plain of Shinar where Babylon was later built (present day Iraq). Once God scattered the languages, the people dispersed and spread across the Earth. Ham's descendents spread into the lower Middle East and into Africa, Shem's descendents headed east and Japeth's descendents were maritime seafaring people and inhabited the majority of the earth. As people moved farther away from civilization the lack of society coupled with the harsh environment they actually became more primitive. If you're interested in a fundamentalist take on this time period, I recommend reading some of the works of Immanuel Velikovsky. Most scholars become highly offended at the mere mention of his name, but he presents a credible alternative to the narrative that evolutionary science espouses and that alternative is in line with the Biblical account of events.

As far a religious thinking in the early post-deluvian world, Paul touches on this in Romans 1:18-23

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles."
    Last edited by Psimitar; 10-06-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    A bizarre hybrid of Satanism, Hinduism, and Mormon beliefs.

This universe is a lot stranger than one belief system.
    You Mormo-Satanuist!!

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    You Mormo-Satanuist!!
    That sounds like the name of a Star Wars character lol
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    That sounds like the name of a Star Wars character lol
    Ah, Lucas is one of you eh?