Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The Hawkman/Hawkgirl?John Stewart Love Triangle

This was brought up on the John Stewart Appreciation thread, but I'd like to hear from Hawkman/Hawkgirl fans about this.

In the Justice League cartoon, Geoff Johns introduced the wrinkle that John Stewart had also been in ancient Egypt with Khufu and Chay-Ara in his past life and a quasi-Lancelot/Guinevere affair between John & Hawkgirl ensued.

At the time, Hawkman fans were rightfully pissed at this notion because it undercut the very foundation upon which the whole modern Hawkman/Hawkgirl reincarnated romance idea was built upon by making Hawkman a cuckold.

However, now that Snyder has introduced the idea that Hawkman & Hawkgirl have been reincarnating for far longer that previously established, that their original incarnations were not, in fact, Khufu & Chay-Ara, could Johns idea be introduced into the DCU proper now?

What do you think?

I hope not, this way Hawkman and Hawkgirl go from eternal love to a woman condemned to eternity besides a guy she don't love, while the guy is condemned to pass all eternity running after a girl who doesn't love him.
    I think that if they decide to do a Sterwart and Kendra romance they should just pretend Hawkaman don't exist in Justice League and in the Hawkman comic they should just pretend Hawkgirl don't exist either.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I hope not, this way Hawkman and Hawkgirl go from eternal love to a woman condemned to eternity besides a guy she don't love, while the guy is condemned to pass all eternity running after a girl who doesn't love him.
    I think that if they decide to do a Sterwart and Kendra romance they should just pretend Hawkaman don't exist in Justice League and in the Hawkman comic they should just pretend Hawkgirl don't exist either.
    Is that how love works? Not in my experience. Is it not possible that Hawkgirl loves and has loved Hawkman for literally thousands of years, but, for one of those untold, that love was strained and Hawkgirl's heart belonged to another man for a time?

I think adding a small flaw to Hawkman and Hawkgirl's millennias-long romance makes it far more interesting because it adds an element of tension and unpredictability to a story that would otherwise be treading water waiting for the inevitable.

Extraordinary Member

[Autotune]Keep them platonic!!!!!!!!![/Blackbolt mode]

IMO, Marvel messed up a lot platonic & romantic relationships with unnecessary love triangles.

I loved the DCAU romance, but I don't think it should transfer to the books.

I think John & Hawkgirl should gave a deep friendship that hopeful Carter understands.

A friendship between Carter & John would also be interesting.

I think Carter would be more open to discuss social justice issues with John over Oliver, seriously.

I think this could be an example of where a woman & man have a deep friendship sans sexual tension.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Is that how love works? Not in my experience. Is it not possible that Hawkgirl loves and has loved Hawkman for literally thousands of years, but, for one of those untold, that love was strained and Hawkgirl's heart belonged to another man for a time?

I think adding a small flaw to Hawkman and Hawkgirl's millennias-long romance makes it far more interesting because it adds an element of tension and unpredictability to a story that would otherwise be treading water waiting for the inevitable.
    I did not like it when Roy hooked up with Kendra.

Any romantic rivals should be Hawkman/Hawkgirl characters from their mythos, imo.

Mighty Member

However, now that Snyder has introduced the idea that Hawkman & Hawkgirl have been reincarnating for far longer that previously established, that their original incarnations were not, in fact, Khufu & Chay-Ara, could Johns idea be introduced into the DCU proper now?

What do you think?
    I don't really want this triangle to be canon whether that was their first incarnations or not, nor do I want to see a modern day version of it in comics To my knowledge Kendra HAS had other love interests--Roy Harper and Pieter Cross come to mind--while Carter hasn't had any other love interests (outside of an off-panel fling with Power Girl?). People keep saying Hawkman & Hawkgirl will end up together eventually but they've been together (briefly) maybe twice in the past 30 years? Do they really need any more roadblocks when DC themselves won't let it happen? At this point I would just like to see them together, I am not interested in seeing either of them in a romantic relationship with somebody else.

Mighty Member

Piggybacking off of what Shaw is saying. A deep friendship between a man and woman WITHOUT sexual tension can be very groundbreaking. Men and women never have a platonic relationship with each other. It's so rare. Hell it can lead to more interactions between John and Carter. Carter has been going into space in his series so the potential is there. I really don't want a love triangle. Those are messy and makes all parties look bad.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I don't really want this triangle to be canon whether that was their first incarnations or not, nor do I want to see a modern day version of it in comics To my knowledge Kendra HAS had other love interests--Roy Harper and Pieter Cross come to mind--while Carter hasn't had any other love interests (outside of an off-panel fling with Power Girl?). People keep saying Hawkman & Hawkgirl will end up together eventually but they've been together (briefly) maybe twice in the past 30 years? Do they really need any more roadblocks when DC themselves won't let it happen? At this point I would just like to see them together, I am not interested in seeing either of them in a romantic relationship with somebody else.
    And considering how those relationships ended up, Kendra doesn't have the best track record with guys who aren't Carter.

Really, I liked Hawkgirl and John's romance in the DCAU, but I just don't see what adapting it would bring to the comics other then screwing over Hawkman. It's bad enough he's still flying solo in his own book .

When was the last time Hawkman and Hawkgirl were together? I honestly don't know, but I start reading comics on 2013 and don't remember it ever happening.
    As I said they can do a romance between Kendra and Jonh, what I don't want is read the Hawkman solo and see Carter daydreaming about how much he loves Kendra when the previous week i readed Justice League and saw Hawkgirl and Green Lantern super happy on a date, or worst having to read a Hawkman cameo on Justice League with the only purpose of having Hawkgirl dumping him for John.
    The true problem is that the writers seems to think that the romance only works from Carter's side, if they they decide to have Kendra move on they should let Hawkman do the same. I will not mind if they put Kendra with someone else, as long as they pretend Hawkman don't exist on JL and she is completely ignored on his solo and find him a new love interest.
    As long as is a one sided love, is just sad and I don't have interest in a comic book about a guy crying over a woman who is happy with someone else, even if this guy looks super cool and have wings.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 10-05-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I'm biased as both a John Stewart fan and someone who grew up on the JL cartoon but I would like to see the romance continued in continuity. As a child of separation, I think having this iteration of the Hawkgirl/Hawkman dynamic less about the eternal lovers idea and more of a high concept exploration of people who maybe should be with other people but circumstances keep them trapped in a doomed relationship. Ultimately, due to the nature of Hawkgirl and Hawkman's mythos, someone probably come along to restore the status quo and/or destroy the relationship anyway so I don't see what harm it would do.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Piggybacking off of what Shaw is saying. A deep friendship between a man and woman WITHOUT sexual tension can be very groundbreaking. Men and women never have a platonic relationship with each other. It's so rare. Hell it can lead to more interactions between John and Carter. Carter has been going into space in his series so the potential is there. I really don't want a love triangle. Those are messy and makes all parties look bad.
    Marvel messed up a lot of long term friendships & relationships with short term hook-ups.

Looking at the X-Men, it made sense when Emma Frost helped break up a marriage, because she is a selfish, sleaze ball (I love the character).

However, John, Carter, & Kendra are all good people. They deserve better ventures in story-telling.

I'd rather see Barry, Ray, & Hal laugh as Oliver throws an epic fit seeing John, Carter, & Kendra having deep conversation about how the League can help humanity outside of just defending it from super-powered evildoers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    When was the last time Hawkman and Hawkgirl were together? I honestly don't know, but I started to read comics on 2013 and don't remember it ever happening.
    As I said they can do a romance between Kendra and Jonh, what I don't want is read the Hawkman solo and see Carter daydreaming about how much he loves Kendra when the previous week i readed Justice League and saw Hawkgirl and Green Lantern super happy on a date, or worst having to read a Hawkman cameo on Justice League with the only purpose of having Hawkgirl dumping him for John.
    The true problem is that the writers seems to think that the romance only works from Carter's side, if they they decide to have Kendra move on they should let Hawkman do the same. I will not mind if they put Kendra with someone else, as long as they pretend Hawkman don't exist on JL and she is completely ignored on his solo and find him a new love interest.
    As long as is a one sided love, is just sad and I don't have interst in a comic book about a guy crying over a woman who is happy with someone else, even if this guy looks super cool and have wings.
    I agree, if they do go the route of John and Kendra together, then they should make it so that Carter isn't some lovesick weirdo or a jilted ex. Have him give his blessing or have his own love life. Hell, maybe they could make it a part of his and her stories by them taking on the mission to break the reincarnation cycle; then introduce the Kendra/John later unrelated to Carter's story.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Extraordinary Member

Another example from Marvel was the triangle between Black Panther, Storm, & Wolverine.

Writers went out above & beyond to trash BP, and divide fan bases.

Clearly, that sad series of stories took place with no one thinking BP would star in a billion dollar blockbuster.

I really don't want to see fans divided over these DC characters.

John Stewart is already part of a divided fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Marvel messed up a lot of long term friendships & relationships with short term hook-ups.

Looking at the X-Men, it made sense when Emma Frost helped break up a marriage, because she is a selfish, sleaze ball (I love the character).

However, John, Carter, & Kendra are all good people. They deserve better ventures in story-telling.

I'd rather see Barry, Ray, & Hal laugh as Oliver throws an epic fit seeing John, Carter, & Kendra having deep conversation about how the League can help humanity outside of just defending it from super-powered evildoers.
    That's a good point. Honestly, despite wanting the pairing, I'm 100% down for them just exchanging ideas and being close friends (which I'm pretty sure they'll end up doing amyway). However, playing devil's advocate, i don't think a relationship would prevent them from being this mature and nuanced with each other and the rest of the league. They could always build it slowly and organic, gradually moving from platonic to romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Another example from Marvel was the triangle between Black Panther, Storm, & Wolverine.

Writers went out above & beyond to trash BP, and divide fan bases.

Clearly, that sad series of stories took place with no one thinking BP would star in a billion dollar blockbuster.

I really don't want to see fans divided over these DC characters.

John Stewart is already part of a divided fan base.
    I think that's more a problem of bad storytelling. Sure there will be some fans who will take issue (there always is) but I think anything can work so long as it's written and presented well. If they treat the characters with respect and have them behave like adults it could be good character development for all parties. Marvel got lazy and took the quickest route to the place they wanted the characters to be.

currently following:

Keep them as friends.

I would like to see John with someone different for story telling purposes like Donna or something since Vixen has been told.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl works out.