Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Wanting hawk girl to cheat on Hawk man just to please couple of shipping fans is stupid it's just gonna end up like cyclops/Jean/wolverine type of stupid love triangle that will make all three look bad

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I would ship it

In all seriousness, while what OP has suggested needs to be done with intense care, unless it will provide a disaster for both and Hawk and Green Lantern franchizes, I think if done well, this could definitely could breath new air into the characters.

I'm thinking that this love triangle would sort of be akin to Logan, Jean, Scott situation in the X Men books before Morrison's run.

- Jean and Scott are a couple from the start.

- Logan joins the X-Men in the 70s.

- Logan falls in love(lust) with Jean.

- Jean is attracted to Logan, but still loves Scott -- cue love triangle and Wolvie/Cyke rivalry.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-06-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I would ship it

In all seriousness, while what OP has suggested needs to be done with intense care, unless it will provide a disaster for both and Hawk and Green Lantern franchizes, I think if done well, this could definitely could breath new air into the characters.

I'm thinking that this love triangle would sort of be akin to Logan, Jean, Scott situation in the X Men books before Morrison's run.

- Jean and Scott are a couple from the start.

- Logan joins the X-Men in the 70s.

- Logan falls in love(lust) with Jean.

- Jean is attracted to Logan, but still loves Scott -- cue love triangle and Wolvie/Cyke rivalry.
    A love triangle is the only thing I don't want. If Snyder does the Hawkgirl/John thing I hope he forget Carter exist and that Venditt does the same with Hawkgirl. All sides come off looking bad from a love tringle, in this case, history show that will be Hawkman.

Incredible Member

I’ve never liked any pairing Bruce Timm pushed. They are all absurd to me. Bury it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Hawks work better together and breaking them up has never sat well with me. I've discussed my thoughts on this over in the Hawkman thread, but ultimately what it comes right down to is that the Hawks have a lot more potential together than John and Hawkgirl do, especially given current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm amply on record as stating that the Hawks belong together. They were one of the few stable relationships in comics, and Hawkgirl/woman was one of the few love-interest/sidekicks that wasn't there to play hostage-of-the-month, or to make the male look smarter or braver through unflattering comparison.

I didn't mind the JL toon romance (although I'd have preferred they pair John w/Wonder Woman), until they introduced Creepy Stalker Hawkman.
    Pretty much the same for me. I've said it before, but I have a hard time even watching those JLU episodes featuring Hawkman. He comes across extremely badly in them, to the point where I actually prefer Hro Talak as the Hawkman of the series.

But I digress. One of the big reasons I still prefer Katar and Shayera to Carter and Shiera (or, in this case, Kendra), is because I enjoyed the organic nature of their relationship far more. "Fating" Hawkman and Hawkgirl together, so to speak, while somewhat romantic on the surface, also makes it feel very contrived to me.

Don't get me wrong. I like the reincarnation dynamic well enough, and as well as the idea of two souls being so in loved and so tied to one another throughout history that they seek one another out time and time again. But when you take the matter of choice out of the equation, it loses a lot of its luster. Even worse when you throw the overblown nature of the "curse" into it, resulting in the whole "We can't because we're doomed if we do!" nonsense that Johns played off of for so long.

What I'm getting at here is while I don't at all like the idea of splitting up the Hawks, I wouldn't mind seeing the "destined to be together" aspect jettisoned and making it more about them choosing one another in the end. Granted, this is admittedly a bit ironic to write, as I'm basically saying they should be together regardless, but for me the presentation is as important as the result.

And if the "destiny" aspect is jettisoned, then allowing for both of them--Carter and Kendra--to pair off with someone else for a time would obviously be the most natural way to showcase this new sense of freedom in their relationship. Consequently, it would also show the strength and enduring nature of their love when they ultimately wind up back together.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Pretty much the same for me. I've said it before, but I have a hard time even watching those JLU episodes featuring Hawkman. He comes across extremely badly in them, to the point where I actually prefer Hro Talak as the Hawkman of the series.
    Man, coming from such a major Hawkman fan, that's saying something .

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    If Katma Stewart stays dead, then bring on Vixen.
    Vixen is awesome but for storytelling purposes, I want maybe someone different but heck Vixen is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Its the same thing. Storm was an X character and therefore whenever that part of the universe got rocked it naturally affected Storm. It just proves my point.

Hawkman and Hawgirl are iconic too though. I grew up on the JL cartoon and I would absolutely find it jarring. A romance that lives and dies in Snyder's run I wouldn't mind but it cant be forced as a long term status quo. Give the characters a story out of it and then move on.
    Not really, X-Men the Hawks are not. The circumstances for Marvel messing with the x-characters was very unique to those characters due to posturing over movie rights and marketing. By your logic no team-up would work due to "logistics". RHATO is a perfect example of characters from different franchises having meaning and intimate interpersonal relationships; hell (she)Hulk and Thor are a thing over at Marvel right now. I don't think logistics is as big an issue as you think it would be. Editorial bias or writer personal vision seem like bigger, more likely issues.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Not really, X-Men the Hawks are not. The circumstances for Marvel messing with the x-characters was very unique to those characters due to posturing over movie rights and marketing. By your logic no team-up would work due to "logistics". RHATO is a perfect example of characters from different franchises having meaning and intimate interpersonal relationships; hell (she)Hulk and Thor are a thing over at Marvel right now. I don't think logistics is as big an issue as you think it would be. Editorial bias or writer personal vision seem like bigger, more likely issues.
    I think in the case of that logistics aren't so much of an issue since one writer (Jason Aaron) has full control over Thor and is pretty much the main writer for Jen, so he can develop a relationship between them freely (irregardless of the fact that he doesn't seem to want to write either really in-character, but that's neither here nor there).

Just like Snyder seems to have carte blanche with John and Kendra at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    RHATO the Hawks aren't either because for one thing the original Outlaws actually did face controversy. For the new ones their parent franchises themselves didn't care, Wonder Woman writers dont even take ownership of Wonder Girls much less Artemis and Bizarro is always played as a joke whenever he shows up in Superman.
    On the otherhand there is a Hawkman book being published and as such I think if the writer wants to use Hawkgirl then it would be unfair if they are prevented from using her because the JL writer is pursuing a romance of his own. Similarly as long as Hawkman is in a book somewhere the possibility of Hawkgirl being used will always be open. Its like setting up Catwoman with Kyle Rayner.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

But I digress. One of the big reasons I still prefer Katar and Shayera to Carter and Shiera (or, in this case, Kendra), is because I enjoyed the organic nature of their relationship far more. "Fating" Hawkman and Hawkgirl together, so to speak, while somewhat romantic on the surface, also makes it feel very contrived to me.

Don't get me wrong. I like the reincarnation dynamic well enough, and as well as the idea of two souls being so in loved and so tied to one another throughout history that they seek one another out time and time again. But when you take the matter of choice out of the equation, it loses a lot of its luster. Even worse when you throw the overblown nature of the "curse" into it, resulting in the whole "We can't because we're doomed if we do!" nonsense that Johns played off of for so long.

What I'm getting at here is while I don't at all like the idea of splitting up the Hawks, I wouldn't mind seeing the "destined to be together" aspect jettisoned and making it more about them choosing one another in the end. Granted, this is admittedly a bit ironic to write, as I'm basically saying they should be together regardless, but for me the presentation is as important as the result.

And if the "destiny" aspect is jettisoned, then allowing for both of them--Carter and Kendra--to pair off with someone else for a time would obviously be the most natural way to showcase this new sense of freedom in their relationship. Consequently, it would also show the strength and enduring nature of their love when they ultimately wind up back together.
    We agree. One thing I did like out of the Timm triangle was the idea that "reincarnation" was actually the result of Joseph Gardner accidentally downloading Katar Hol's memories from a damaged absorbascom. IMO, the smartest thing DC could have done with The Hawks back in 1986 was put out a The Dark Knight Returns-type story for The Hawks, set in an unspecified point in the future, that throwns them back in time, and sees them adopted into the family of an ancient, Middle-Eastern potentate under the name Khufu and Chay-ra. The Glass Knife from Flash Comics 1, turns out to be the memory crystal of an absorbascom, that three descendants of the Hawks - Anton Hastor, Carter Hall, and Sheira Saunders - all separately encounter sometime during their youth.

All-New Member

I think it's best for these two characters not to get involved in each other's territory. Hawkman lore has the charm of the Hawkman lore, and Green lantern lore has the charm of the Green lantern lore, which is likely to lose its charm if the two lore are too twisted.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Stewart won

I just realized...doesn't the Beyondverse now belong as a kind of canon possible future incorporating elements from the mainstream DCU? How do they explain War Hawk then?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I just realized...doesn't the Beyondverse now belong as a kind of canon possible future incorporating elements from the mainstream DCU? How do they explain War Hawk then?
    Canon possible future son of John and Kendra, duh.

The future in DC is only firm at Legion distance and even then it's more like gelatin. I personally never considered the Beyond universe canon because it hinges too much on one specific hero, which is unhealthy for a publishing line featuring a shared universe with no set protagonist.

tl;Dr

Warhawk is possible endgame, but no more so than him also never coming to pass.