Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...340764162?s=21
    Uhnnn... Is this some kind of shading?

It’s true. Clearly he is kind of wearing fishnets. Clearly this is in a different time period. I think it is a relatively harmless jab.

You know how it is. You get a bit self conscious about your nose and you decide to wear a hat. You get self conscious about the little wings growing out of your ankles and you put on fishnets. We have all done it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-12-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    Looks pretty damned cool, actually. Namor " Killing" his friend Stingray illustrates how full board tilt regarding whatever is next. Of Course Stingray will be back, quite possibly with no explanation at all and Comic books have cheapened and ruined death as a story telling device of any impact but its not this issue's fault.
    Yeah, but he'll probably have his genes spliced with an actual stingray so he'll be a stingray-man...

oh great now I can't unsee the fishnets.
    The J-man

Namor was ridiculously hot in this issue with this costume.

About namor’s defenders of the deep- didn’t orka get killed off a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    About namor’s defenders of the deep- didn’t orka get killed off a while back?
    He did but like many characters such as Doc Samson, Echo, D-Man ect. He was brought back by Secret Wars with no explanation.

Aren't Namor's huge black irises a hint that he may be compromised in some way?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Aren't Namor's huge black irises a hint that he may be compromised in some way?
    Since none of the characters seem to notice to my recollection, it could just be artistic flair.

Thor and Ares on the same book could make for some fun stuff. Reminds me of Namor and Herc back in the day always going at it. I only remember them together once and they were respectful of each other but it could go another way.

All that said I don't expect it to be Ares.

BANNED

Jason Aaron must be one of the worst writers around, I have never seen anyone ignore continuity as much as he does, just to fit his already poor narrative, he twists and ignores elements, power levels, continuity, lore and anything else so he can tell his story, which doesn't even end up being noteworthy.
    The worst thing is that Marvel lets him, Jason Aaron doesn't seem to realize that he's not writing new characters that are his own, these are pre-established characters with stories, personalities and continuity that you have to respect, and he just ignores all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Jason Aaron must be one of the worst writers around, I have never seen anyone ignore continuity as much as he does, just to fit his already poor narrative, he twists and ignores elements, power levels, continuity, lore and anything else so he can tell his story, which doesn't even end up being noteworthy.
    The worst thing is that Marvel lets him, Jason Aaron doesn't seem to realize that he's not writing new characters that are his own, these are pre-established characters with stories, personalities and continuity that you have to respect, and he just ignores all of that.
    I told people this would be the case when it was revealed he would continue with the 1.000.000 BC Avengers in this book, that it felt like it was his personal wish to write this story and that if he has this much control over the story and the cast it must mean marvel just lets him do a lot.

Mark Waid's run felt nothing like this. Not that it was a memorable one.

I guess there are lots of people enjoy this so it doesn't really matter.

Mighty Member

*cough*Bendis*cough*

BANNED

No, some fans just think that their own opinions on continuity and their own perspectives on character traits are the only ones that matter.

So when a writer has the temerity to have their own ideas, ones that have their own valid justifications, they're accused of ignoring or disrespecting continuity.

Just because a writer isn't telling the story you want them to tell, in the way you think they should tell it, it doesn't mean they're wrong to tell it.

Incredible Member

What specific continuity is Aaron ignoring in this book?

From my perspective he put in a lot of continuity that he didn't need to. There's like ten or so people that give a crap about Stingray and the character has been perfect fodder for someone for a villain to kill to show how seriously we should take them so what he does here is unsurprising, what is surprising is that in (what we can assume is) his last appearance we get a references to the characters relationships with Tiger Shark and Namor. He didn't need to do that, no one bar ten aforementioned fans of the character would care but he referenced obscure continuity.

The issue also referenced Black Panther's attack on Atlantis during Hickman's New Avengers which I think most writers would forget and most or all of the Defenders of the Deep are all really obscure pre-existing characters. He didn't need to do that either, he could have Namor and Tiger Shark surrounded by entirely new cool characters but he obviously plunged into the depths of Marvel's continuity to find suitable ocean based characters for Sub Mariner's team.

So I don't buy that a writer who is going out of his way to reference continuity doesn't care about it.

What I think you mean is you disagree with his characterizations of characters and feel they would never act that way but I can't help but think of all the melt downs of his portrayal of She-Hulk and how it ignored the ending of Tamaki's run when even early it was hinted that Jennifer Walters had returned to her more iconic Hulk form but there was something about the Final Host which was bringing out her transformations into the savage She-Hulk then we had it all but confirmed one issue ago. I would wager you think the same about Namor, right? That his characterization here contradicts all his previous depictions (even though he's killed land dwellers before) but have you ever wondered if the same deal isn't happening with Namor, that the Final Host attack or some other force isn't influencing him? Maybe wait till we get deeper in to the story before reaching those conclusions. Even if it's not what a lot of fans think I'd argue this issue presents a good case for why this particular destruction of Atlantis is the one that makes Namor snap and turn against his allies.

Thor as Hercules? C'mon a long running character like Thor has been portrayed in a number of ways to the iconic noble space-god-super hero who speaks in thees and thous to a modern speaking warrior to the classic speaking but played for humour, Johhny Bravo is he were a space-viking-super hero. Aaron't current take isn't new and is no less valid that any other take. Aaron understands this hence when he began his Thor run he started off with something akin to the classic Thor and went overtime to where he is now.

You don't have to like any the above but the idea that it is flouting continuity is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Thor as Hercules? C'mon a long running character like Thor has been portrayed in a number of ways to the iconic noble space-god-super hero who speaks in thees and thous to a modern speaking warrior to the classic speaking but played for humour, Johhny Bravo is he were a space-viking-super hero. Aaron't current take isn't new and is no less valid that any other take. Aaron understands this hence when he began his Thor run he started off with something akin to the classic Thor and went overtime to where he is now.
    I feel like the bolded has been way more consistent to the character then the "classic speaking but played for humour, Johhny Bravo is he were a space-viking-super hero" take which is pretty much just Aaron, and where all the Hercules comparisons come from. Even the modern warrior felt like a more natural evolution of the old Thor then Aaron's current portrayal of him.

I know Aaron can write a good classic Thor because that's how he wrote Jane, which makes it all the more jarring or noticeable that he writes Thor so differently now.

I guess I find the Aaron's take less valid because it seems to run counter to the Thor I've read and seen numerous times (aside from later MCU Thor), and frankly doesn't seem to depict the God of Thunder in the best light.