Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
I'm from Russia and Superman is my favorite superhero, even though I was growing up in a surroundings that taught us to hate USA (and some other countries), because their interests contradicted interests of my homeland. It's still toxic like that, especially on news and some political and ecomonical debates on various TV channels. Which is why I came to hate everything that was political and I liked Superman because I came to know him as superhero of Earth, not of a country. His heroics go beyond our planet, sometimes he deals with Multiverse, with other galaxies, other planets, other people and a hero like that shouldn't be political in my opinion, he should represent best personality qualities such as kindness, goodness, virtue, heroism, honor, etc. that doesn't come from a single nation, everyone can posses those regardless of their origins. One of the reasons why I like Captain America as my Superman of Marvel is because he values human qualities over the duty to his government and if they contradict human decency, he doesn't tolerate that and neither should Superman, which was shown in BvS and why I liked that News Feed scene so much. You see him saving people all around the world: a girl in Mexico, a rocket with people in Russia, ship with people in Antarctica and others, while all that people could do instead of supporting such kindness keep debating how it affects Earth politically. It was awesome to hear how one of the speakers said "We should start thinking beyond politics". That's what Superman represents to me: a destruction of political boundaries that separate us. He can't be that if he belongs to government.
This is one of the things that I think the Snyder films nailed, despite my issues with their dark tone. Ending Man of Steel with Superman destroying that drone and explicitly stating to General Swan that he would not be a pawn of the American government while also stating that he was from the American heartland was a great summation of who the character is. He was raised in America and embraced the best of its values, but utterly rejects nationalism.