Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Friday the 13th rights are now split!

And Jason gets the same fate as childs play.

Not sure what's going on, but that franchise should be laid to rest right alongside Freddy. The so-called remake/reboot was pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Not sure what's going on, but that franchise should be laid to rest right alongside Freddy. The so-called remake/reboot was pitiful.
    It's no more tired than any other franchise that Hollywood keeps churning out movies for. The reboot surprisingly has a lot of fans and made a lot of money at the box office. I didn't particularly care for it, but it wasn't an insult in any way to the source material.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

OP, can you summarize? So what's going on with the franchise/character rights? What, if anything, does Paramount and New Line/Warner get? Or is there a third party in play?

I'd still be interested in a revival of the television series. Which, of course, had nothing to do with the movies, but was very clever in its own right (and for me, more enjoyable as a 'scary show' than if it was Jason-based).

An hour and 30 minute video?

Here's what my Google-fu was able to come up with:

"Victor only owns the U.S. rights to the original movie. Horror owns the foreign rights to the first movie and to all the other movies." But no one owns the US rights to the sequels? "If Horror doesn’t appeal, then it has to make a deal with Victor in order to make a new movie."

Meh. Just work out a deal already. I doubt Victor Miller will ask for something crazy (though I suppose its his right to do which could stall future F13 movies indefinitely).

With Halloween making a resurgence, it would be a shame to let a rights issue like this keep Jason from making a come back as well. The time is ripe for a well thought out F13 movie, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    It's no more tired than any other franchise that Hollywood keeps churning out movies for. The reboot surprisingly has a lot of fans and made a lot of money at the box office. I didn't particularly care for it, but it wasn't an insult in any way to the source material.
    The 2009 reboot has a lot of fans? I haven't noticed. It had a good hype-fueled OW and then it dropped like a rock. It certainly didn't make Lights Out money!

Mighty Member

I liked the 2009 film and been waiting for a sequel but nothing has come of it for 10 years, i guess your right time to wrap it up.

And Calighoula, i thought 2009 Friday was much better than Halloween 2007 remake or the Elm Street remake, the Elm Street remake was truly pitiful and you CAN'T DO IT! Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger, no one else can play him than Englund and Jackie was a failure. Freddy along with Tallman and Ash aren't replacable characters like Jason, Michael and Leatherface whom Jason, Michael and Leatherface don't need a charismatic and unique performance but wear a mask, don't speak but can grunt or growl, a physical presence and a body for the role and Jason with Leatherface and Michael are easy to recast because of that. Freddy, Tallman and Ash on the other hand are established by the actors who played them and their DNA is in with Englund, Scrimm and Campbell and no one else can substitute for them.

Basics is Victor got the original concept from the 1st film and name Friday the 13th.

The Hockey Mask and all that came after are owned by the other parties.

This isn't new paramount or someone is doing a Child's Play film because they own the Film name and concept but the doll won't be Chucky. Chucky will be in a tv series which is a continuation of the original film series done by a production company with those rights.

Going further back Romero could do Dead film but not have Return in it. The co writer of the original Night of the Living Dead could use the concept in his films as loose sequels and the producers of Dawn of the Dead could make loose sequels too. So we got Romero's Dead Films, Return of the Living Dead Series, and the Zombie film series.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I liked the 2009 film and been waiting for a sequel but nothing has come of it for 10 years, i guess your right time to wrap it up.

And Calighoula, i thought 2009 Friday was much better than Halloween 2007 remake or the Elm Street remake, the Elm Street remake was truly pitiful and you CAN'T DO IT! Robert Englund IS Freddy Krueger, no one else can play him than Englund and Jackie was a failure. Freddy along with Tallman and Ash aren't replacable characters like Jason, Michael and Leatherface whom Jason, Michael and Leatherface don't need a charismatic and unique performance but wear a mask, don't speak but can grunt or growl, a physical presence and a body for the role and Jason with Leatherface and Michael are easy to recast because of that. Freddy, Tallman and Ash on the other hand are established by the actors who played them and their DNA is in with Englund, Scrimm and Campbell and no one else can substitute for them.
    I don't disagree that Englund=Scrimm, Campbell=Ash, and (by far) Scrimm=The Tall Man. Not one bit.

But the '09 F13 sucked, the Nightmare reboot sucked, and the TCM reboot AND prequel really sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    The 2009 reboot has a lot of fans? I haven't noticed. It had a good hype-fueled OW and then it dropped like a rock. It certainly didn't make Lights Out money!
    I see a lot of videos of Friday fans defending the remake nowadays. Unadjusted for gross it is the second most profitable film in the series (only "Freddy vs. Jason" beats it). Adjusted places it in fifth place out of twelve films. Like it or not the film made money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Being completely dead and nearly forgotten?
    "Cult of Chucky" came out fairly recently and there is a reboot in the works starring Aubrey Plaza. Not to mention a fair bit of merchandise sold in stores. It's hardly what one would consider "dead and forgotten."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

The last two have been direct to video, the last one to actually have a theatrical run was in 2004, so yeah, completely dead

And lord knows slasher franchise reboots don't tend to have much luck resurrecting them, which is why Halloween is going for the Soft Reboot/Sequel treatment this time.

Honestly Myers is the only slasher icon they seem to still be making an effort for these days
    Last edited by Hiromi; 10-06-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I see a lot of videos of Friday fans defending the remake nowadays. Unadjusted for gross it is the second most profitable film in the series (only "Freddy vs. Jason" beats it). Adjusted places it in fifth place out of twelve films. Like it or not the film made money.
    As I said, it had a hype-fueled OW. Don't expect that to happen again should they should make another film. Look at the drops. Look at the daily receipts starting the first Monday after OW. It made a modest profit because it was made for 19M. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...ythe13th09.htm

Ten years later and there hasn't been another movie. The same interest isn't there. Maybe they can drum up some biz with a Jason vs. Leprechaun movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And Jason gets the same fate as childs play.
    Being completely dead and nearly forgotten?