Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bana

Default Bana

The most well known off shoot of the Amazons and at the moment im writing this the only cannonical one, the Bana are those who for one reason or another gave a middle finger to the Greek gods, left the island, and would wind up worshipping the Egyptian pantheon.

The specifics beyond that point differ a bit between post crisis and Rebirth. Between the post crisis version living in a city within hidden in a sandstorm called Bana Mighdall and the Rebirth version where they spent their days wandering the worlds both mortal and celestial collecting secrets and treasures on their travels, they are an interesting concept to explore.

Out of curiosity, what are others views on them?

As I think I mentioned at some discussion here, I like the concept of the Amazons as nymphs not of nature but of civilisation.

Looking at it that way, one can view the demand from the goddesses (as per Pérez) as a demand that the Amazons give up not violence, but their old original duty, and the Bana-Mighdall as the Amazons who still wanted to act as a beacon and example of civilisation to humanity. That fits especially well with the idea of the nomadic or ambulatory Bana-Mighdall.

So I think I prefer a version of events where the choice wasn't necessarily between violence and non-violence, but between serving humanity and serving the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    The most well known off shoot of the Amazons and at the moment im writing this the only cannonical one, the Bana are those who for one reason or another gave a middle finger to the Greek gods, left the island, and would wind up worshipping the Egyptian pantheon.

The specifics beyond that point differ a bit between post crisis and Rebirth. Between the post crisis version living in a city within hidden in a sandstorm called Bana Mighdall and the Rebirth version where they spent their days wandering the worlds both mortal and celestial collecting secrets and treasures on their travels, they are an interesting concept to explore.

Out of curiosity, what are others views on them?
    I like the Banas worshipping Egyptian gods.

There also could be a tie-in of the Banas with or knowing of Black Adam. Cheetah, if she gets her powers from Egyptian deities, could also be a Bana foe that then crosses over to Diana and Paradise Island.

One thing I wonder is why couldn't the Eygptian gods have given them immortal or maybe they just wanted to live normal lives. One thing that is noted is their aggressive towards men. I kind of wondered if maybe there were men in the Banas areas but they were generally never seen. I would have liked a tribe that was mixed has there have been mentioned in myths and other stories that amazons were for both men and women

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like the Banas worshipping Egyptian gods.

There also could be a tie-in of the Banas with or knowing of Black Adam. Cheetah, if she gets her powers from Egyptian deities, could also be a Bana foe that then crosses over to Diana and Paradise Island.
    Ibis the invincible, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Doctor Fate, Nabu, Isis, Osiris, Osira, Hefnakhhti, Taia, Khufu. There are a large number of characters tied to Egypt who could tie into the Bana in interesting ways.

Ibis the invincible, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Doctor Fate, Nabu, Isis, Osiris, Osira, Hefnakhhti, Taia, Khufu. There are a large number of characters tied to Egypt who could tie into the Bana in interesting ways.
    Quite true! I forgot about all those great characters!

This blog post does a good job of breaking down the Bana and the way they've been handled by DC (which is often not very good).

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2752560.html

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This blog post does a good job of breaking down the Bana and the way they've been handled by DC (which is often not very good).

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2752560.html
    A very good article. Thank you very much for sharing that.
    Yeah, the Bana are something with alot of potential which could be fixed with some good writing and an end to treating them as the antagonists

I wonder if the right is given the mantle, would anyone else love to see a reunion? One thing I wonder is why can't the Amazons on Paradise Island have different cities? For example, the doom gate or whoever they are keeping from coming out is more of a miltarty base. Than like let's said Themscryira which is a mix of many of the things.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-07-2018 at 08:19 PM.

If DC was to try and put more focus on the Bana would there be any feasible way to present it without making it a focus on Artemis?

If DC was to try and put more focus on the Bana would there be any feasible way to present it without making it a focus on Artemis?
    I think Orlando set up such a situation right now, if G Willow Wilson or other future writers wants to do it. You could go from the Diana–Atalanta relationship and work out from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think Orlando set up such a situation right now, if G Willow Wilson or other future writers wants to do it. You could go from the Diana–Atalanta relationship and work out from there.
    It would be fascinating to see the Bana developed as a culture and as a people and you are indeed right that Orlando set us up with a perfect jumping off point.
    Hmm.....Given the current situation I have to wonder if it would lead to the Bana dividing between those wanting a permanent home and those who preferred the nomadic lifestyle. Or if one side or the other holds more sway.

I wonder due to the fact the Banas are more dealing with us how should their culture and tech be different? One idea I always had is that the Banas generally set up shelters to help women and if they agree the Banas take them to their home . Now I wondering how should the Banas be with men? I mean like most amazons they more female. Why not pull a marston and the men are the ones to do the housework.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I wonder due to the fact the Banas are more dealing with us how should their culture and tech be different? One idea I always had is that the Banas generally set up shelters to help women and if they agree the Banas take them to their home . Now I wondering how should the Banas be with men? I mean like most amazons they more female. Why not pull a marston and the men are the ones to do the housework.
    Im liking what Orlando set up. The idea that the Bana had traveled across the world and the celestial plane, collecting new mystical secrets from all over to add to their own collection of knowledge

Fantastic Member

Personally, I was not really too keen on the Bhana separate tribe thing...after a while, I found it too convoluted. I mean there was no reason why the original Themyscirans would have evolved to the same if not higher standard of advancement than the Bhanas. There's enough material in Greek mythology to have made Amazon society than having to introduce an outside element.

But that's just me.

Or to say the very least, they should have kept Antiope alive, and she bore a daughter than could have been Wonder Girl.

TT