Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bana

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Personally, I was not really too keen on the Bhana separate tribe thing...after a while, I found it too convoluted. I mean there was no reason why the original Themyscirans would have evolved to the same if not higher standard of advancement than the Bhanas. There's enough material in Greek mythology to have made Amazon society than having to introduce an outside element.

But that's just me.

Or to say the very least, they should have kept Antiope alive, and she bore a daughter than could have been Wonder Girl.

TT
    The Bana lived in the outside world while the Amazons stayed on Themyscira.

The idea of warrior women tribes is a pretty common element in mythology so Perez was likely thinking of more than just the Greek Amazons and besides WW doesn't just limit herself to Greek myth.

Why does the Wonder Girl need to be related by blood to Diana?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-18-2018 at 02:08 AM.

I hope we see more of them in the future. They have alot of potential to play with

The way they've been handled in Rebirth still has the unfortunate implications listed in the blog I linked back. I hope Wilson, if she uses them, is better at it than Orlando and Lobdell.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The way they've been handled in Rebirth still has the unfortunate implications listed in the blog I linked back. I hope Wilson, if she uses them, is better at it than Orlando and Lobdell.
    What do you mean? I mean they have been aggressive like they been originally

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you mean? I mean they have been aggressive like they been originally
    There was a lot more nuance to them before. All we've gotten from them is their aggression. There were also other Bana that were developed besides Artemis.

True. How should they be written? I don't mind if they are a bit aggressive but if that's their only trait it's bad.

However, I would have liked that the Banas still kept in connections with Paradise Islands. That the tribe that became the Banas were choice and decides they liked the outside better. I also would have liked if Antiope
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-22-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    True. How should they be written? I don't mind if they are a bit aggressive but if that's their only trait it's bad.
    Honestly I think all it would really take is to create the chance for other Bana to get some development. I don't think this new Bana are written in any way worse than the previous ones if one was to compare the negatives, its just that fewer positives have been presented.

If these new Bana collect information across the realms to strengthen themselves then would there be wizards among their number? Healers? Smiths? In theory they would could have someone whose entire thing is chronicling the knowledge they have amassed

It seems the Banas just left while on Paradise Island. I would love to see more of that story. I kind of always thought that would be a interesting idea. That a few amazon left and started their own tribe.

Orlando essentially rehashed Lobdell's story, but worse. At least under Lobdell, it was the Shimtar that was about to lead the Bana to war, not new-Bana Queen we never saw before. But Jason, Artemis, and Bizarro were able to stop the war before it really began, with Artemis leaving the Bana's in charge of the people's safety. Many of whom were refugees from a town that had been destroyed. And that was the same arc where Artemis obtained the Bow of Ra.

From what little we saw, the Bana were not bad in Red Hood and the Outlaws, just manipulated by someone they had no reason to disbelieve under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Orlando essentially rehashed Lobdell's story, but worse. At least under Lobdell, it was the Shimtar that was about to lead the Bana to war, not new-Bana Queen we never saw before. But Jason, Artemis, and Bizarro were able to stop the war before it really began, with Artemis leaving the Bana's in charge of the people's safety. Many of whom were refugees from a town that had been destroyed. And that was the same arc where Artemis obtained the Bow of Ra.

From what little we saw, the Bana were not bad in Red Hood and the Outlaws, just manipulated by someone they had no reason to disbelieve under normal circumstances.
    Even Lobdell still had the same issue of making the one heroic and developed Amazon to be Artemis. Not to mention turning Akila from a pacifist scientist to a villain.

Even Lobdell still had the same issue of making the one heroic and developed Amazon to be Artemis. Not to mention turning Akila from a pacifist scientist to a villain.
    I'll admit, I don't know much about Akila prior to Rebirth. However, it was clear that her mind was manipulated with when she was turned into the Shimtar. She did come back from the dead as well.