Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Lois generally has people around her that help her. Also Steven Universe knows how to use deadly weapon and learned to fight. Why can't Steve learn to fight? I mean for one he has never used his gun on someone who doesn't deserve. He first tries to disengaged the situation in peaceful manner. Steve and Diana are both people trying to solve everything with peace but know they have to get their hands dirty at some point. So I can't see why it's terrible for him to carry a gun. In fact we don't see him often with guns.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-21-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Not true.

Pacifism is not a blanket monolith where everyone must be a follower to its most absolute extreme.

It is a spectrum of beliefs that include a lot of different interpretations, including one called pragmatic consequentialism, which is where I saw "Pacific Steve" landing in.

Is he still a part of ARGUS? Does he still carry a gun?

Then no, I am not.

Lois Lane doesn't carry a weapon, and she walks into situations at least as dangerous as any Steve would face.
    Yeah, and her father taught her how to shoot. I've seen Lois carry a gun before.

Your argument contradicts itself. On the one hand, you say carrying a gun means he is not a pacifist according to your description, but then earlier you say being a pacifist does not preclude using violence.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-22-2018 at 01:35 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I still prefer Steve as an adventurer and the action-y-est man-of-action there is, just on this side of not becoming a costumed superhero himself. I kind of love him as a human protector of humanity trying to work through the systems, whether clean or challenging the corrupt ones, that are outdated or have arisen with the population of crime-fighters, metahumans, demigods, gods, aliens, extradimensional beings, etc. fairly recently on Prime Earth.

I've mentioned this before, but I kind of see Waller as his opposite number in a way, due to her Machiavellian nature and tactics.

It's also why I think ARGUS is such a great thing for him and Diana. Cataloging and collecting the "strange" and powerful artifacts, technology, weapons, mystic artifacts, etc. give Steve and Wonder Woman and her foes every corner of the universe to explore and play out their stories.

I've read everyone's thoughts on Steve being a pacifist and they're interesting. I don't see him as a strict pacifist, as, like Diana, he'll fight for and protect what's right. In that way I see how they share a commonality and how it attracts them to one another. I don't necessarily need to see them as different from one another or Steve as "better than she is" in this regard for their relationship to work or be interesting.

In my writings about Steve, I've kind of played up his and Diana's missions and how that plays a central role in their lives making them incredibly busy and somewhat reluctant to commit to one another, despite their mutual respect, admiration, and attraction.

That's just one way I've considered giving them some roadblocks in their relationship, before we even get to the machinations of characters like Aphrodite, Doctor Psycho, Hypnota, Anton Unreal, Superwoman, and others.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I still prefer Steve as an adventurer and the action-y-est man-of-action there is, just on this side of not becoming a costumed superhero himself. I kind of love him as a human protector of humanity trying to work through the systems, whether clean or challenging the corrupt ones, that are outdated or have arisen with the population of crime-fighters, metahumans, demigods, gods, aliens, extradimensional beings, etc. fairly recently on Prime Earth.
    Oh, I have nothing against Steve Trevor being a man of action. But just like he should give a different view of the relationship between a man and a woman, I also think he can and should give another view of what a man of action can be.

He can be an adventurer and a man of action without having violence as his first or even second choice of action. More Catwoman than Batman.

It really depends on the writer. Look at Marston or Perez. Steve's options weren't always violence first. Rucka Steve wasn't use violence first. Hey I do think Steve despite being a regular man, should find ways to at least get a good fight in. I mean what's the harm of him having magical options?