Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steve Trevor: Pacifist?

So, we've already had threads debating things like "Why is Steve Trevor such a hard sell?" and also "What can Steve Trevor be the best in the DCU at?" (Both are very interesting threads on these boards and are well worth a gander or two).

But I think there is an as-yet unexplored route to go with Mr. Trevor that could most clearly separate him from his perceived mediocrity: a dedication to pacifism that exceeds even Diana's.

Now, this is comic books, where violence not only sells, but is part and parcel of being a super-hero. Wonder Woman will not, and should not, flinch from dealing with supervillains in a violent way if push comes to shove.

But what if Steve is the one always seeking the most non-violent resolution to things? He would, rightly or wrongly, view violence always as this avoidable thing. This is one rare area where he could exceed Diana without necessarily diminishing her agency.

Of course, this would require changes. Big changes for Steve. Steve Trevor would have to stop being shown as a 2nd-rate Steve Rogers (the other blonde military guy who hangs out with superhumans).

Steve would have to get out of the military/espionage complex altogether and join something akin to the Peace Corp or Red Cross or something. Maybe convert the Oddfellows to an emergency response team to medical / natural disaster areas.

And while he can competently defend himself (sans guns), he is much more of a negotiator than a fighter.

I bet this idea for Steve wouldn't have many supporters among WW's already-fractured fanbase, at least not initially. But I think following any kind of "macho" route for Steve is doomed to fail.

What do you think?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-06-2018 at 02:12 PM.

If you've read those earlier threads you probably saw my thoughts on Steve, that were going in this direction but not as far. But I had the focus on non-violent conflict resolution and negotiation.

I'm not sure it would work making Steve into a "hard" pacifist, that is someone who denounces all violence (it would make him into a bit of a hypocrite in his relation to Diana, since he basically has a precision WMD he can call on to rescue him at any time). But I view my ideal current-day Steve as someone who is focused on helping and assisting people rather than punishing them. I also think he should be a better negotiator than Diana.

Its an interesting idea I confess ive never thought about. Steve has often been interpreted as being opposed to war but being an outright pacifist is something novel that could be interesting if played with. Not sure if id wanna see it for the main universe but if a good writer can sell it as character growth and progression I might dig it.

I can't see how it would work. Because despite your best effects there are times where you do need to fight. Steve has always been that only last option kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I can't see how it would work. Because despite your best effects there are times where you do need to fight. Steve has always been that only last option kind of guy
    It could work in an elseworld. For example we have one coming up about a teenage Diana being taken in by the couple of Steve Trevor and Trevor Barnes. That take could work for this.

Extraordinary Member

It doesn't work for me.

By the nature of the genre as you said, he is set up to fail because his pacifism will not alwYs succeed.

On the flip side, unless you're doing the ultra violent New 52 JL version of Wonder zoo an, she will sometimes succeed through diplomacy ans sometimes through a beat down followed by diplomacy.

So, no, I don't see this working. Steve would come across as lame.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

One difference I definitely can see between Diana and Steve is that Diana enjoys a good fight; Steve doesn't. On the one hand, it has led to Steve goes to greater lengths to avoid fights than Diana through negotiation and stealth. On the other hand, Diana has this idea of honourable fights as a way to build a connection with the opponent, which sometimes even works. Meanwhile, Steve would use every dirty trick he knows of to defeat his enemy as quickly as possible, once it was started.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    One difference I definitely can see between Diana and Steve is that Diana enjoys a good fight; Steve doesn't. On the one hand, it has led to Steve goes to greater lengths to avoid fights than Diana through negotiation and stealth. On the other hand, Diana has this idea of honourable fights as a way to build a connection with the opponent, which sometimes even works. Meanwhile, Steve would use every dirty trick he knows of to defeat his enemy as quickly as possible, once it was started.
    You lost me at Steve goes to greater lengths to avoid a fight.

Fighting like a spy sounds good though. But even Antiope told Diana that the battle will never be fair.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    It could work in an elseworld. For example we have one coming up about a teenage Diana being taken in by the couple of Steve Trevor and Trevor Barnes. That take could work for this.
    ???

What Elseworlds title is this? Who is working on it? When is it being released?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    ???

What Elseworlds title is this? Who is working on it? When is it being released?
    This is frustrating. I could swear I read that was the premise for the Hales 'Diana, Princess of the Amazons' but im having a bleep of a time trying to find a solicit for it

I prefer Steve as a spy and part of a quasi-government organization. I don't think that he and Diana sharing qualities is a deal breaker for them to be interesting as a couple, depending how you set him/them up and characterize them.

As a spy or agent, Steve is a truth seeker in some was as much as Diana to solve the problems and puzzles put before him. He's a leader in his own way, as Diana is in her way. He may lead with peaceful and nonviolent means and options, but also has a warrior's spirit, like Diana, and will fight back when push comes to shove and other options are exhausted.

The direction I've been taking with Steve in my Wonder Bible Thingee I'm working on kind of explores the social and political ramifications of "man" versus "super woman" in a way that plays off the man versus superman theme of Lex Luthor and Clark Kent, but with them obviously as allies. Steve represents one side of the spectrum of white-privileged patriarchy and some of the villains and adversaries he and Diana confront and battle represent other aspects of society, patriarchy, and reactions to patriarchy across plot points of its quadrants and matrices.

Steve as a pacifist might be interesting, and I'd read it, but my ideas have always had him as a man-of-action, whether through peacemaking or violent means, in an honorable way, if the situation required it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    This is frustrating. I could swear I read that was the premise for the Hales 'Diana, Princess of the Amazons' but im having a bleep of a time trying to find a solicit for it
    Found it.

"Diana, Princess of the Amazons" by Shannon and Dean Hale, a DC Zoom (aimed at middle schoolers) offering, slated for April 2019.

No mention at all about its premise.

Is the DC Zoom line supposed to be actual Elseworlds or just non-main canon, like AMERICAN ALIEN was for Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Found it.

"Diana, Princess of the Amazons" by Shannon and Dean Hale, a DC Zoom (aimed at middle schoolers) offering, slated for April 2019.

No mention at all about its premise.

Is the DC Zoom line supposed to be actual Elseworlds or just non-main canon, like AMERICAN ALIEN was for Superman?
    Unsure to be honest. A bit back I swear there was a premise I read about a teenage Diana accidently swimming to far from the island as a kid and winding up on the mainland and being assumed to be an immigrant crossing the sea

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You lost me at Steve goes to greater lengths to avoid a fight.

Fighting like a spy sounds good though. But even Antiope told Diana that the battle will never be fair.
    Why? I agree that Steve Trevor, as usually depicted, isn't depicted that way, but here I more described a possible route for the character.

Yes, Antiope told Diana that. But my impression is that Diana is the epitome of the honourable warrior who almost always finds herself more skilled or physically stronger than her opponents. Thus I read Antiope's admonition in the movie to be more about what Diana should always be on the lookout for opponents using dirty tricks, not how Diana should fight herself.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why? I agree that Steve Trevor, as usually depicted, isn't depicted that way, but here I more described a possible route for the character.

Yes, Antiope told Diana that. But my impression is that Diana is the epitome of the honourable warrior who almost always finds herself more skilled or physically stronger than her opponents. Thus I read Antiope's admonition in the movie to be more about what Diana should always be on the lookout for opponents using dirty tricks, not how Diana should fight herself.
    It's easy to honorable if you know you're going to win.

Yes, it's a possible route for the character of Steve. But I assumed from the question mark you wanted other opinions, and mine is that in a comic book it wouldn't work for me.