Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is it time for Mongul?

To reclaim his position as the "Preeminent Evil Overlord of the Superverse Franchise"?

And also, to let Darkseid go from said position?

I say yes.

Don't get me wrong: I love me some good ol' Kal vs Uxas enmity, and the two should still fight, but only on rare and memorable occasions, IMHO.

But the New Gods isn't really part of the Superverse, and it's shoehorning into Superman's world hasn't done it much favor in the long run. They're trying to be their own full-fledged franchise (see MISTER MIRACLE ongoing and the upcoming NEW GODS movie).

And after watching Thanos beat the Avengers + Guardians of the Galaxy + Doctor Strange in AVENGERS INFINITY WAR, I want Darkseid to be a universal DC villain that no one alpha hero or even one team can ever handle by themselves.

There's a lot to like about Mongul. He's a far better fighter than Darkseid, and pouncing around on all fours in battle would not be demeaning to him.

You just have to make Mongul as different from Darkseid as possible while keeping him squarely in the Evil Overlord trope.

On that note, here's a wacky start: give Mongul hair on his head. Seriously, look at Superman's rogues gallery and count the number of bald/hairless males versus non-bald/hairy males and you'll see the discrepancy.

Oh, and Rogol Zaar (or whatever his name is) sucks big-time and is not eligible to take Darkseid's place.

EDIT: Of course I misspell "it" as the 2nd word in the title of the thread! Mods, can you please fix it?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-06-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Mongul stories are fun because Mongul isn't OP enough to be an overwhelmingly powerful opponent for Supes. He's more Superman's equal.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When was the last time he appeared? Metal?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I've always thought Mongul had tons of potential and should be used more to break down the idea he's just the poor man's Darkseid.

I've had a Justice League idea floating my head where he's there big bad and he has a lot of angles left unexplored.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When was the last time he appeared? Metal?
    that and Jurgen's Action Comics.

I don't a Mogul push would happen anytime soon though, so I guess to answer your question op, I'd say no, it's not time. I would like to see a new story where Mogul really pushes Superman to his limits.

Boisterously Confused

I agree that Darkseid needs some downtime, and Mongul is probably the best sub. IMO, he hasn't been used to his potential since before "The Death of Superman".

Of course, first they've got to get this guy with the bad teeth that's running around the titles, posturing as The Biggest of the Bads, out of the way.

Urghh. The fact that Darkseid and Mongul are being discussed as being interchangeable just shows how far Darkseid's fallen as a character in recent years.