Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Has the internet ruined society?

Both in a personal, and geopolitical way?

I dont think our species was ready for this level of connectivity.

Not really. If anything it has made it better.

We are aware of bigger issues that we wouldn't have if there was no internet. Also social aspect of it is good.

Just minority of people who use it wrong and make it worse for everyone.

Well, we are using the internet now, to discuss a video made for and released on the internet ... you know, on a forum for which there was no equivalent, pre-internet? So I mean, if there is any value to the video, our discussion or even our ability to have the discussion, all of that would serve as counter to the proposition that the internet is bad, right?

I dunno, I think the internet is just a tool, and as such neither inherently good or bad -- and yeah, since it seems like the internet helped give us President Trump, I have to acknowledge it's a tool that can/has been used to do bad. But, as in the case of the last election, I don't really blame the tool, itself ... basically, all the other elements of the world that affected the last presidential election were already there in the world, and the internet was just one part of it all.

If you want to get philosophical about it, I kind of think of the internet as like a mirror ... in which we see the reality of the human race reflected, flaws and all, probably more clearly and completely than in any time prior in human history. You know, writing, photography, film, all could only capture so much; even live television journalism of just a few decades back, can't come close to capturing, sharing, preserving as much information from as many sources as the internet. I guess we could consider that bad, as perhaps knowing the ugly truth for a fact, as compared to only vaguely suspecting it might be true, could be the worse of the two ... I dunno, tho. Knowledge is power? Isn't it?
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 10-06-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The internet when used correctly can be an endless tool to improve one self. Unfortunately most people probably aren't using it that way. :/

Internet sure has changed things quite a lot and we are starting to see more and more all the negative things about it as time goes on. (i mean, when i was a kid we didn't even have cellphones lol)

Now, internet is a tool. And that's not the tool here who's rotten, but the user. It exacerbates the most vile aspects of people.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

People have always sucked in different ways. Homophobia and racism were even more accepted in the pre-Internet age.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Personally, internet is my favourite invention.
    It provides cheaper goods and services, and give access to multimedias easily that I will otherwise not be able to get, if not for the internet.
    I love the internet!!!

Mighty Member

The internet has turned people into cowards, to be honest. Folks feel safe to insult and be mean as they please, as long as they can hide behind the keyboards.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    The internet has turned people into cowards, to be honest. Folks feel safe to insult and be mean as they please, as long as they can hide behind the keyboards.
    Before they talked behind peoples backs or ganged up on them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Before they talked behind peoples backs or ganged up on them.
    It's funny because a lot of people like that end up being decent people online. I don't understand it really. I met a few of these guys in real life and i was so stunned.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

The internet has some downsides, but over all, it's fantastic. Definitely not a mistake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Internet sure has changed things quite a lot and we are starting to see more and more all the negative things about it as time goes on. (i mean, when i was a kid we didn't even have cellphones lol)

Now, internet is a tool. And that's not the tool here who's rotten, but the user. It exacerbates the most vile aspects of people.
    No, the internet is a tool for social coercion.

I don't believe the internet as a whole has ruined society, perhaps social media like Facebook and Twitter, but not the entirety of the Internet.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

The internet, has helped expose problems within society: it is a place with near endless data on our peoples, current and from the past, global knowledge is available to all, to learn from, to gather a stronger sense of perspective on society as a whole.
    So no, society is not ruined by the internet. But its flaws are more exposed than ever before, and due to the decentralised nature of the internet, we are free to build a new one if we wish, thread by thread.