Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I know the celestials and vampire civil war arcs just doesn't feel like the classic avengers have returned but seems like a YA novel with characters that seem quite unlike the avengers. maybe it's also due to the fact that they have guest starred in so many books without causing any significant difference that it just seems like this team is a filler brought into being specifically for WOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post
    They brought back Mighty Avengers and canceled it. I think Maybe Marvel doesn't want Classic avengers Vs. Aaron's run diluting the brand. Not that I was complaining, but there was a lot of different avengers team running around for a while. I'd really like a continuation of Avengers No Surrender and No Road Home team for a ongoing book.
    The thing about Aarons team is that the line up is reasonably classic.

Yes, Blade and Ghost Rider are obviusly new to the franchise. But everyone else has been an Avenger for a long long time. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Panther... that seems like a fairly classic line up to me. You can kinda say She-Hulk hasn't been around as long as say Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch, but she's still had plenty of Avengers time under her belt.

The retooling of old Marvel forces (except for Hydra that Jason isn't using for some reason) feels very classic Avengers and the book is big and crazy but it would be even better if we could have a more intimate monthly title out of the mansion to compliment it featuring the goddamn Falcon. We should have more flavors of Avengers ice cream to choose from, and Savage is just raw meat while WCA was the kooky, very experimental thing you do for book #3 or #4, not #2.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The retooling of old Marvel forces (except for Hydra that Jason isn't using for some reason) feels very classic Avengers and the book is big and crazy but it would be even better if we could have a more intimate monthly title out of the mansion to compliment it featuring the goddamn Falcon. We should have more flavors of Avengers ice cream to choose from, and Savage is just raw meat while WCA was the kooky, very experimental thing you do for book #3 or #4, not #2.
    I know a lot of people have argued that multiple Avengers books somewhat dilute the brand... but I've always liked the idea of multiple Avenger books.

Firstly because it just makes sense. Having JUST half a dozen guys watching over the whole planet isn't the most sensible idea.

Secondly there are so many great characters just sitting in limbo.

And thirdly, because ANY book with the word Avengers on it will probably sell better than at least half the books marvel is publishing.

It just makes sense to have multiple books and teams.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I've never understood the "diluting" argument for anything. Pump out as many books as the market will support, I say.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I've never understood the "diluting" argument for anything. Pump out as many books as the market will support, I say.
    I KIND OF get the dilution arguement.

After Secret Wars, during the All New All Different era, all the Avenger books sort of felt like Satallite books. They all seemed like lesser Avenger teams. During that era, actually felt like the Avengers brand name felt diluted.

But during the Hickman Avengers run, you had a bunch of Avengers teams too and the Hickman team still felt like THE Avengers team. They felt like that A list top tier team Avengers ideally should feel like.

I think if you're going to have multiple Avengers team, you need to make the main team feel important rather than just like everyone else. It's what Waids Avengers book I think failed at doing. Say what you want about Bendis and Hickman, but the Avengers felt important. And I think that's what can't be lost. BUt I don't think that would be an issue with Aarons run. They still have that big time feel to them.

ANAD Avengers books felt like satellite books because they were, to Spencer's Captain America, which were untraditional Avengers books that had an Avengers event in the middle that led into the most Avengers ass Avengers event since Avengers Forever. Kinda like the Civil War movie. Nick was the boss like Brian, John, and Jason. Now Jason's the boss but he has no satellite books. A general with no real lieutenants. WACK!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Yes, Blade and Ghost Rider are obviusly new to the franchise. But everyone else has been an Avenger for a long long time. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Panther... that seems like a fairly classic line up to me. You can kinda say She-Hulk hasn't been around as long as say Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch, but she's still had plenty of Avengers time under her belt.
    Exactly. She-Hulk has been an Avenger since the 80s, and has served multiple stints as an active member since then. Roger Stern had her as an active member twice (with her stint as an FF member in the middle); Byrne had her in his run; Larry Hama had her in his roster; Harras didn't have her as a regular, but he brought her in now and then (notably Operation: Galactic Storm). Busiek used her in his run, and so did Geoff Johns and Chuck Austen. She-Hulk was an almost constant presence in the classic Avengers period from the 80s right through to "Disassembled" which is sort of the dividing line between the 'classic' period and the 'modern' period for AVENGERS.

Up until Busiek's run, She-Hulk was much more of a mainstay of the Avengers books than Carol Danvers was! It wasn't until Busiek brought Carol back and then Bendis latched onto her as one of his personal favourites that Carol ended up becoming such a core part of the team.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Exactly. She-Hulk has been an Avenger since the 80s, and has served multiple stints as an active member since then. Roger Stern had her as an active member twice (with her stint as an FF member in the middle); Byrne had her in his run; Larry Hama had her in his roster; Harras didn't have her as a regular, but he brought her in now and then (notably Operation: Galactic Storm). Busiek used her in his run, and so did Geoff Johns and Chuck Austen. She-Hulk was an almost constant presence in the classic Avengers period from the 80s right through to "Disassembled" which is sort of the dividing line between the 'classic' period and the 'modern' period for AVENGERS.

Up until Busiek's run, She-Hulk was much more of a mainstay of the Avengers books than Carol Danvers was! It wasn't until Busiek brought Carol back and then Bendis latched onto her as one of his personal favourites that Carol ended up becoming such a core part of the team.
    There's a stat that I wish that I could pull up quickly: the number of appearances in any Avengers book and Avengers adjacent team book by any team member.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

To me a good Avengers lineup needs three things: some stars, some newcomers, and some of the B-list characters who have carried a lot of the history of the team and had their character development in the Avengers comics. The definition of that is vague - Black Panther was an Avengers B-lister before he broke out as a solo star in the '70s - but there are some characters who define "classic Avengers" to a lot of people.

Aaron has the stars and the newcomers, but the "classic Avengers" type characters are mostly absent (except She-Hulk, and she's not really acting like herself), while No Road Home has five of those characters: Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Spectrum and Hercules.

Because Hickman had no interest in these characters either (I honestly got the feeling Hickman doesn't like the Avengers at all), and because ANAD Avengers used almost exclusively characters with their own books, it's been a long slow wait for some of these characters to make their way back to a regular Avengers team, and it's frustrating. Better to dilute the brand with another ongoing than keep so many important characters without a home.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    To me a good Avengers lineup needs three things: some stars, some newcomers, and some of the B-list characters who have carried a lot of the history of the team and had their character development in the Avengers comics. The definition of that is vague - Black Panther was an Avengers B-lister before he broke out as a solo star in the '70s - but there are some characters who define "classic Avengers" to a lot of people.

Aaron has the stars and the newcomers, but the "classic Avengers" type characters are mostly absent (except She-Hulk, and she's not really acting like herself), while No Road Home has five of those characters: Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Spectrum and Hercules.

Because Hickman had no interest in these characters either (I honestly got the feeling Hickman doesn't like the Avengers at all), and because ANAD Avengers used almost exclusively characters with their own books, it's been a long slow wait for some of these characters to make their way back to a regular Avengers team, and it's frustrating. Better to dilute the brand with another ongoing than keep so many important characters without a home.
    The whole thing about B listers is that the Avengers movies have sort of elevated a lot of the B list guys into A listers.

You can argue that Cap, Iron Man, and Thor were technically B listers marvel until the Avengers became the core of the entire MU in he Bendis era, with the movies making them super stars. Black Panther and Captain Marvel likewise were probably considered B list until recent years, where they're now both billion dollar franchises for marvel.

As more and more core Avengers become A listers, the window for B listers gets smaller and smaller. If Black Panther and Captain Marvel are elevated to the point where the Big 3 essentially are becoming the big 5, that leaves 2-3 open spots. And if every new writers want a newcomer on the roster, that essentially means sneaking 1 B list Avenger in there. In this case She-Hulk.

Extraordinary Member

Well, that's why I wish the Avengers had fewer characters with their own solo books. This is my big problem with both the Waid and Aaron teams.

Part of the problem is that Marvel is convinced that Captain America, Thor and Iron Man are a "trinity" like the DC trinity and you have to have them all on the Avengers at the same time, even in the ANAD version where Thor and Cap were different people. This leaves very little room for the characters who are not solo stars and depend on the Avengers to tell their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Well, that's why I wish the Avengers had fewer characters with their own solo books. This is my big problem with both the Waid and Aaron teams.

Part of the problem is that Marvel is convinced that Captain America, Thor and Iron Man are a "trinity" like the DC trinity and you have to have them all on the Avengers at the same time, even in the ANAD version where Thor and Cap were different people. This leaves very little room for the characters who are not solo stars and depend on the Avengers to tell their stories.
    You have to remember though that originally the Avengers were essentially the Justice League. It was a team made up of heroes who all had solo books. It wasn't until later on that the team started adding on characters who didn't have their own book.

But that's why we need multiple Avenger books. Every Avengers run seems to add new people, making the list of ex-Avengers bigger and bigger each couple years. And those who don't have their own home need somewhere to go unfortunately.

I suppose alternatively you can go the Hickman route and just make one massive team. Logically that's tougher, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Preview from No Road Home #7:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...o-road-home-7/
    Spectrum is the narrator this time.

I already posted that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman