Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I never understood why these two characters should not work.
    I have loved superfriends as a child and I am fond of them.
    I will definitely take a look at their book, I hope they can finally find their own dimension in the DC universe.

And then, if we want to say it all, in Superfriends Dick could seem incompetent even more than the twins.

While I did like the cartoon, it really did a number on a lot of the characters. Batman became all about his "bat gadgets", Robin did whatever Batman did, Aquaman was basically the "fish whisperer". Zan & Jayna were comic relief.

The difference is that the other characters had a long history with DC Comics, so that balances out what their appearances on the show was. There were also other media that came after Super Friends......TV Shows, movies, other cartoons. Zan & Jayna only were known by Super Friends. Most people didn't know there was a Super Friends comic book, nor did they read Extreme Justice or Young Justice, so the Twins are remembers as they were on Super Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I hope this leads to a reinvention of all the Super Friends characters (ie El Dorado, Samurai, Apache Chief). They could form their own team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That would be fun. Maybe Russel could reintroduce them as supporting cast here.

If this were to happen, I'd like to see the characters renamed, as they were on the Justice League Unlimited episode with the Ultimen. Apache Chief = Long Shadow, Samurai = Wind Dragon, Black Vulcan = Juice. Not sure what they could call El Dorado.

I found a magazine called "Back Issue" (I'm sure you've heard of it) and I found issue #38 online. Pages 21,22,23 has an article called "The Perplexing Popularity of The Wonder Twins", and they discuss how Zan & Jayna came to be in The All New Super Friends show.

If you want to see it, click the link below.

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/back_issue__38

These pages from The Super Friends were always faves of mine, because (unlike the cartoon) it actually followed the premise of the twins being there to be trained to be heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    http://superfriends.wikia.com/wiki/S...by_Tom_Scioli).

there are some pages and commentary here http://www.ambarb.com/ if you keep scrolling down

not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it
    Yeah - I LOVED that Tom Scioli Super-Powers backup story. I thought the take on The Wonder Twins was especially inspired.

That said, I am pretty certain I will love whatever take the new series rides with because Mark Russell is one of my favorite writers.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    These pages from The Super Friends were always faves of mine, because (unlike the cartoon) it actually followed the premise of the twins being there to be trained to be heroes.

What is Jayna complaining about? She's getting actual combat training, isn't she? What if she were assigned "Wax on, wax off" for weeks Mr. Miyagi style lol

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What is Jayna complaining about? She's getting actual combat training, isn't she? What if she were assigned "Wax on, wax off" for weeks Mr. Miyagi style lol
    They'd probably be better off being trained by Martian Manhunter. He's a shapeshifter like them.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-14-2018 at 09:41 AM.

I just saw this thread today so excuse me if I am ignorant on this matter...are the Wonder Twins really getting their own book? I know they are set to appear in the Young Justice comic but are they getting a duo title as well?

I'm sorta glad that they are coming back in to Young Justice. Zan's powerset in particular has been one I wanted to see explored for the longest time. But besides that it's nice to see more lighter hearted heroes about in comics.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Incredible Member

Interesting. Is there a full version online somewhere?
    It was a back up in cave carson has a cybernetic eye - I cant remember which issues though but it was a very trippy 3 pages a month ( to go hand in hand with the equally trippy main cave carson).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I just saw this thread today so excuse me if I am ignorant on this matter...are the Wonder Twins really getting their own book? I know they are set to appear in the Young Justice comic but are they getting a duo title as well?

I'm sorta glad that they are coming back in to Young Justice. Zan's powerset in particular has been one I wanted to see explored for the longest time. But besides that it's nice to see more lighter hearted heroes about in comics.

Hello DragonsChi. Yes, the twins are getting their own book.

DC is set to launch its new teenage-oriented imprint Wonder Comics in 2019. Fittingly, one of the books featured as a part of the imprint will star Saturday morning superhero fan-favorites the Wonder Twins. During his New York Comic Con spotlight panel, Wonder Comics curator Brian Michael Bendis revealed the cover art for Wonder Twins #1, which is set to be released in February 2019.

Written by Mark Russell with art by Stephen Byrne, Wonder Twins #1 hits comic shops in February 2019.

I had no idea this Cave Carson backup was a thing. Man, I keep meaning to get the trades.....I gotta get on that. Does anyone know if the backup is collected somewhere?

Always found the Wonder Twins more of an interesting footnote in DC history than anything, to be honest. On the rare occasion they've tried to break into the main canon, I've enjoyed the ride but never really felt invested and never cared that the effort didn't catch.

But I'm totally going to check this monthly out. I mean, come on, how could you not? The characters are so innately ridiculous, in the best comic book-y kind of way!

Here's hoping the Wonder Twins become DC's Maximoff twins and find a foot hold in the DCU!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I know they are set to appear in the Young Justice comic but are they getting a duo title as well?
    Oh, and it's my understanding that while both stories are on the Wonder imprint, Zan & Jayna will not be in Young Justice. Have you heard different? I would love to see Zan and Jayna make appearances in other books, but from what I've seen, that's not been discussed anywhere.

Oh, and it's my understanding that while both stories are on the Wonder imprint, Zan & Jayna will not be in Young Justice. Have you heard different? I would love to see Zan and Jayna make appearances in other books, but from what I've seen, that's not been discussed anywhere.

They appear in this promo image of the new Young Justice team by Bendis. Just figured they would be regulars on the team. I admittedly have not looked very much into it though, so they may only appear for on or two issues. I'm not sure.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

They appear in this promo image of the new Young Justice team by Bendis. Just figured they would be regulars on the team. I admittedly have not looked very much into it though, so they may only appear for on or two issues. I'm not sure.
    My understanding is that this art is a promo image for the entire imprint (with the teen Lantern missing because she's showing up in Morrison's GL), not just the Young Justice title.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some guest appearances, references, and crossovers, but as I understand it, the Young Justice team isn't going to include every character from the imprint, they're just front and center in this image because they're the biggest names and fan-draws.

Could be wrong though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.