Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Bully for you. What about those of us who DO want those kids to have a share of the spotlight? And DO want to see them have a major role? And DON'T care about the "classic" characters? Are we supposed to just suck it up and accept things as they are because jpm will stop reading?

I want to see new characters that advance and grow rather than seeing them perpetually frozen as wallpaper because THAT'S how you get fresh stories, rather than rehashing the same plot points over and over again. And no amount of "X is the moneymaker" or "If they do that I stop reading" is going to change MY opinion.
    the people who want the kids are a minuscule number, as seen by all their cancelled series. it wouldn't be just me walking away. that's a fact

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    the people who want the kids are a minuscule number, as seen by all their cancelled series. it wouldn't be just me walking away. that's a fact
    People want the New X-Men. Who only got one prequel series, one main sieres that lasted 46 issues, two 4-issue minis, and a Yearbook Special. None of those were canceled by fsiljng numbers. You're conflate the very specific group of students we want with every student group that's gotten attention.

BANNED

I too am tired of a full decade of MUH NEW X-MEN but it's a fact that the actual New X-Men book sold better than literally Superman.

(it's sequel series got cancelled in 12 issues due to low sales and Marvel somehow decided the mastermind behind it would be be the perfect guy to revive the X-Men from their slump 8 years later)

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    People want the New X-Men. Who only got one prequel series, one main sieres that lasted 46 issues, two 4-issue minis, and a Yearbook Special. None of those were canceled by fsiljng numbers. You're conflate the very specific group of students we want with every student group that's gotten attention.
    i have no problem with younger mutants, i just won't buy a book featuring them. i don't want them pushing out classic characters or anything like that. give them a book, i don't care, i just won't spend any money on it

They don't have to phase out older characters, just give us a premier New Mutants/X-Men book instead of things like X-Men Blue or Days of Phoniex Past (or whatever remix of an old event they decide to do next.) I don't see why this has to be so difficult.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

i have no problem with younger mutants, i just won't buy a book featuring them. i don't want them pushing out classic characters or anything like that. give them a book, i don't care, i just won't spend any money on it
    I guess I know who Mojo was spoofing, now.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Call it X-Force or whatever, then. They still should probably stay in their peer group, more or less. One or two can move up to a main X-Men team, but like it was in the 90's, only Cannonball moved up to the pros, while the rest of his class stayed together.
    Yupp.

The Main X-Teams can have combinations of O5, ANAD and NM.
    With the other less senior characters relegated to the Secondary teams according to experience or as the MO of the team dictates. It doesn't mean that a secondary team lead by Monet/Banshee and featuring Surge, Dust, Anole, Martha, Rockslide and Broo, for example can't be just as significant as an official "X-Men" team.

It's not as though they haven't tried it before (XM: Gold and Blue era) and it was quite successful. Only now, we have many more younger mutants to incorporate into the mix.

It really comes down to ALL the writers willing and wanting to be on the same page as to how they push and develop their characters in their individual books and as part of the entire Mutant Line.
    Moving forward, Cohesion is paramount.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-11-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Call it X-Force or whatever, then. They still should probably stay in their peer group, more or less. One or two can move up to a main X-Men team, but like it was in the 90's, only Cannonball moved up to the pros, while the rest of his class stayed together.
    But that really stunted the growth of the rest of the New Mutants. I mean look at how Dani, Karma, Sunspot and Magma all keep
    dipping in and out of comic book limbo, disappearing for years at a time. If they had been given a chance on a roster back then like Cannonball, then maybe they all wouldn't be MIA right now waiting for Rosenberg to pick up his Dead Souls plotline.

Since the 90s we've consistently had at least 2 main team books of X-Men, sometimes as many as 4. It shouldn't be this hard to split the New Mutants up across these books and ancillary titles like X-Factor or X-Force. Or Generation X, there's only like 4 or them left for God's sake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    But that really stunted the growth of the rest of the New Mutants. I mean look at how Dani, Karma, Sunspot and Magma all keep
    dipping in and out of comic book limbo, disappearing for years at a time. If they had been given a chance on a roster back then like Cannonball, then maybe they all wouldn't be MIA right now waiting for Rosenberg to pick up his Dead Souls plotline.

Since the 90s we've consistently had at least 2 main team books of X-Men, sometimes as many as 4. It shouldn't be this hard to split the New Mutants up across these books and ancillary titles like X-Factor or X-Force. Or Generation X, there's only like 4 or them left for God's sake.
    They don't seem to want to get it.

Segregating characters off into "junior" books is what Marvel is ALREADY DOING. We've already seen what that leads to: Characters stagnating in limbo and never being allowed to evolve or develop.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 10-11-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Magma wasn't Warlock'd, was she? I can't remember clearly but I didn't think she even appeared in that. She was in X-Men: Gold and they did nothing with her. Nothing of merit anyway. I don't count another Amara gets brainwashed plot as development.

If these younger characters had a chance to shine, under the right hands (I may never forgive Aaron for Husk/Toad), then they could appeal to a lot more people.

The same casts and villains on repeat is why the X-Men books are tired and rehashing plots. Look at the Avengers, it's never afraid to spotlight new or upcoming characters. Presumably because it's allowed its original cast members to enter their thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Magma wasn't Warlock'd, was she? I can't remember clearly but I didn't think she even appeared in that. She was in X-Men: Gold and they did nothing with her. Nothing of merit anyway. I don't count another Amara gets brainwashed plot as development.
    I was speaking more generally. Because writers like to keep characters in the same friend groups they had in high school, the New Mutants have never really managed to break out onto the main team. And now no one can do anything with the New Mutants as a group since Rosenberg ended his mini on a cliffhanger that took half of them off the table until he can pick them up again

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    They don't have to phase out older characters, just give us a premier New Mutants/X-Men book instead of things like X-Men Blue or Days of Phoniex Past (or whatever remix of an old event they decide to do next.) I don't see why this has to be so difficult.
    Yeah, I have no problem with them having their own book. If there's interest in the group, it will sell. X-Men Gold has been lousy, but it sold because of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I didn't like the idea of X-Men blue either and would have been fine with them doing anything else, i just wouldn't have bought it if it was focused on teen students. I don't care enough about them. there are a lot of people that feel the same way. if they want the kids to be spotlighted, they need to be brought on to a main team for a while. maybe like trinary in red. while she's not standing out as much since it's clearly a jean book, she is important

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Put them on some buses.
    Honestly, that might be the ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Look, there were already over two dozen main X-Men introduced by the early 90's. The New Mutants are about 8 strong, and there are at least 4 of the Gen Xer's still alive(more if we count accessory characters like the St. Croix twins, Hollow, Mondo, Vincente, Gaia, etc). There's no way you can fit all of those characters into two or even four X-Men teams and get everyone sufficient panel time. Then add on the later X-Men additions and all the kids that have come since and it gets ridiculous.

Post Liefield X-Force was actually pretty good, and the New Mutants( plus the X-Terminator/X-Factor kids and later additions like Domino, Feral, and Shatterstar) got good stories out of that run. The problem was Quesada shredding the X-line down in the latest 90's/early 00's. Even then, when Lord Claremont got X-Treme, he damn well made sure to bring in as many of the New Mutants as he could, especially in the later part of the series(which heavily featured Sam, Roberto, and Magma). Dani and Shan have gotten the short end of the stick, but I mean, not even Storm gets used that well for the most part. Despite its supposed concept, the X-Books generally do fail POC women(and men, honestly) more often than not.

At the end of the day, X-Men has its stars already. There is always a spot or two for a newbie/rookie, but X-Men fans come to see their tried and true favorites. All the other characters that fall under the X-line are better served in various spinoff titles such as X-Force, Excalibur, X-Factor etc, etc. If they can't sustain a title under their own merits, c'est la vie.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 10-12-2018 at 05:25 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    is this Wolverine with a dead Kavita Rao in front of him?