Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I always felt Wonder Woman should be able to make more friends. I think she was quite friendly and approachable in the 70s TV show and her live action movie. She should know people everywhere she goes. People she could trust some. She seems a lot more serious and cold in comics and animation that I can remember. I mean, what close friends does she have? It seems only Superman or Etta maybe.
    She's perfectly friendly in the comics. Her job was as an ambassador. Making friends wasn't the issue. If you add up all the characters that have been in her supporting cast since her publication, she has the largest number of friends in superhero comics. The issue is writers remembering them.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    We see that EVERYDAY on twitter and instagram with real celebrities and we've seen it in Wonder Woman's comic for almost 40 years.
    And we had it for 44 years in the comics before they got rid of it. Plus a few nods to it in other media like the Lynda Carter show, live action movie, the 2009 animated movie, the David E. Kelley pilot and two attempts to bring it back in the comics.
    Besides we see secret identities from almost everyone else in DC comics.

So is communicating with animals and we rarely see that either, when she does connect it doesn't seem like it's with an equal because she's the lecturing, wise, goddess/princess/superhero that's standing there literally wearing armor.
    The extent to which Diana “lectures” people in the comics is greatly exaggerated. She doesn’t lecture any more than your average superhero and is arguably less prone to it than Batman and Superman.

That's why it's time for a change, Diana Prince adds a layer of vulnerability and reliability that she just doesn't posses as Wonder Woman 24/7. It also shows she can be a regular woman in Man's World and face all the complications that go along with that and prosper and excel without relying on her superpowers.
    Or we can just have her get shot again since that seems to do the trick.
    Seriously though, the idea that Diana needs a secret i.d. to be vulnerable to sexism ignores all the ways in which even women in high authorities face sexism.

Diana Prince just offers nothing in modern times for Wonder Woman. She isn't needed to make Diana seem more complex and if people want to read about a superhero whose an unassuming nerd in their private life they'll just read either Superman or Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-16-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I like that Diana doesn't have a secret identity. It makes her different from the other heroes, and makes it possible for the comic to discuss the issues that can arise from being a very famous or powerful person (not that it manages to do that often, though Rucka's first run touched a bit on that).

She doesn't need to pretend to be anyone than the one she is in order to gain meaningful relations with other people: empathy and connecting with other people is literally one of her superpowers.

The trouble here isn't with Diana's character, but the way too many writers have approached her.
    Agreed completely.

Now, if Diana has a fake ID she occasionally uses to avoid getting noticed, like Bruce's "Matches Malone" identity, cool. I want Diana to be able to go out to eat or go shopping without being swarmed by fans and reporters. But a identity with a fake social security number and a 9-5 job and all the rest of it that goes with a "normal" life? No. There's really no need for it, and I feel like it's not really in her character. Most heroes were regular people before becoming heroes, so it makes sense they'd continue their lives. Even Superman, who has never been normal, still grew up on a farm, going by the name of Clark. Diana though? A secret identity would be a complete fabrication, a 100% lie she'd be telling everyone. It doesn't feel in character for her to engage in that level of deception. Plus it does help set her apart from many of the other DC heroes.

I think the fact that Diana can be herself and still connect with people on a personal level, the fact that she can get someone to see "her" and not "hero" or "princess" or "god" says a lot about her empathy, compassion, and ability to relate to anybody regardless of where they came from or who they are. Diana, in full regal regalia, could make a homeless person in rags feel totally comfortable and at ease. That's a hell of a super power, I think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She's perfectly friendly in the comics. Her job was as an ambassador. Making friends wasn't the issue. If you add up all the characters that have been in her supporting cast since her publication, she has the largest number of friends in superhero comics. The issue is writers remembering them.

And we had it for 44 years in the comics before they got rid of it. Plus a few nods to it in other media like the Lynda Carter show, live action movie, the 2009 animated movie, the David E. Kelley pilot and two attempts to bring it back in the comics.
    Besides we see secret identities from almost everyone else in DC comics.

The extent to which Diana “lectures” people in the comics is greatly exaggerated. She doesn’t lecture any more than your average superhero and is arguably less prone to it than Batman and Superman.

Or we can just have her get shot again since that seems to do the trick.
    Seriously though, the idea that Diana needs a secret i.d. to be vulnerable to sexism ignores all the ways in which even women in high authorities face sexism.
    OK cool, but why she doesn't have more close friends? It seems it's just Superman or Steve. She is supposed to be very compassionate and with an strong desire to make the world better. You need the right attitude for it.

OK cool, but why she doesn't have more close friends? It seems it's just Superman or Steve. She is supposed to be very compassionate and with an strong desire to make the world better. You need the right attitude for it.
    She does have close friends. It's writers and editors who ignore them. It isn't an issue with the character, it's an issue with the writers and editors ignoring or erasing characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed completely.

Now, if Diana has a fake ID she occasionally uses to avoid getting noticed, like Bruce's "Matches Malone" identity, cool. I want Diana to be able to go out to eat or go shopping without being swarmed by fans and reporters. But a identity with a fake social security number and a 9-5 job and all the rest of it that goes with a "normal" life? No. There's really no need for it, and I feel like it's not really in her character. Most heroes were regular people before becoming heroes, so it makes sense they'd continue their lives. Even Superman, who has never been normal, still grew up on a farm, going by the name of Clark. Diana though? A secret identity would be a complete fabrication, a 100% lie she'd be telling everyone. It doesn't feel in character for her to engage in that level of deception. Plus it does help set her apart from many of the other DC heroes.

I think the fact that Diana can be herself and still connect with people on a personal level, the fact that she can get someone to see "her" and not "hero" or "princess" or "god" says a lot about her empathy, compassion, and ability to relate to anybody regardless of where they came from or who they are. Diana, in full regal regalia, could make a homeless person in rags feel totally comfortable and at ease. That's a hell of a super power, I think.
    Then why is that never shown in live action? They use the Diana Prince id for all the reasons I've mentioned, plus another. Costume changes! Even though I like the armor I get sick of seeing it ALL THE TIME. As corny as it was, you can't say the Wonder Woman tv show didn't give you good fashion in every episode. It was the 70's but many of those outfits still hold up and look good today. I also miss the spin, the lasso transformation from the comics and Diana Prince's Mercedes Benz. *shrugs* Just saying...

Then why is that never shown in live action? They use the Diana Prince id for all the reasons I've mentioned, plus another. Costume changes! Even though I like the armor I get sick of seeing it ALL THE TIME. As corny as it was, you can't say the Wonder Woman tv show didn't give you good fashion in every episode. It was the 70's but many of those outfits still hold up and look good today. I also miss the spin, the lasso transformation from the comics and Diana Prince's Mercedes Benz. *shrugs* Just saying...
    Diana only ever used Diana Prince when keeping her powers and mission a secret. She interacted with Steve and the Oddfellows just fine as plain ordinary Diana and if anything she bonded better with them when there were no secrets. The Lynda Carter show was made at a time before Diana Prince was abandoned and it isn't a coincidence that the use of a secret i.d. was one of the criticisms of the David E. Kelley pilot.

I think those things like the spin worked for the 70s. But now? Too campy, imo. Maybe for animation but live action I don't think so. I think people would take her less seriously. It's like Superman saying in movies, 'up up and away!' every time he takes off to save the day. The shirt rip still works, though.

Diana only ever used Diana Prince when keeping her powers and mission a secret. She interacted with Steve and the Oddfellows just fine as plain ordinary Diana and if anything she bonded better with them when there were no secrets. The Lynda Carter show was made at a time before Diana Prince was abandoned and it isn't a coincidence that the use of a secret i.d. was one of the criticisms of the David E. Kelley pilot.
    You get NOTHING like this in the modern Wonder Woman comic.

DP.jpg

And it was the Diana Prince identity that helped Wonder Woman get the drop on Bruce Wayne in BvS. It's useful.

Also Diana Prince was hardly the problem with David E. Kelly's Wonder Woman pilot. It wasn't even the tip of the iceberg.

You get NOTHING like this in the modern Wonder Woman comic.
    Shea Fontana's run had her in plain clothes as well. She also didn't use a secret i.d. there.

DP.jpg

And it was the Diana Prince identity that helped Wonder Woman get the drop on Bruce Wayne in BvS. It's useful.
    Yeah for deception. Not so much for forming bonds with people and interacting with them on an equal level as you've been arguing.
    Also Diana Prince was hardly the problem with David E. Kelly's Wonder Woman pilot. It wasn't even the tip of the iceberg.
    It wasn't the sole problem but it's existence and use was one of them.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.

She had plenty of friends in the pre-Flashpoint era: Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Ed Indelicato, Artemis, Mike Schorr, Hoppy from Taco Whiz, Natasha Teranova, Micah Rains, Rama, Ferdinand, even Circe for a hot minute. Unfortunately, most of them were forgotten as soon as the new writer took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    She had plenty of friends in the pre-Flashpoint era: Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Ed Indelicato, Artemis, Mike Schorr, Hoppy from Taco Whiz, Natasha Teranova, Micah Rains, Rama, Ferdinand, even Circe for a hot minute. Unfortunately, most of them were forgotten as soon as the new writer took over.
    that's terrible. those things need continuity to become staples in her mythos.

Shea Fontana's run had her in plain clothes as well. She also didn't use a secret i.d. there.

Yeah for deception. Not so much for forming bonds with people and interacting with them on an equal level as you've been arguing.

In Shea Fontana's run she was dressed for a wedding and everyone there knew she was Wonder Woman. She connected to Etta's niece who was a toddler but she was the only person and even then being Wonder Woman was the first thing she mentioned about her.

No the THREE distinct identities were, along with the intimidation tactics, the excessive use of force, the terrible plot and Diana discussing her thoughts about Steve with her cat.

Wonder Woman is best with Etta and Steve.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!