Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The word "reset" make me think of Dan DiDio hitting his favourite button behind the scenes.
    Actually, that would be the "Dick around with Grayson" button

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Actually, that would be the "Dick around with Grayson" button
    Never heard of this button.

BANNED

Never heard of this button.
    It's what Dan plays with whenever there isn't a reset going on. He messes with Nightwing a lot. Bat fans will tell you all about it really.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's what Dan plays with whenever there isn't a reset going on. He messes with Nightwing a lot. Bat fans will tell you all about it really.
    Is it because the bullet in his head? I thought it was King's idea.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman and Action Comics are both real rad.

BANNED

Is it because the bullet in his head? I thought it was King's idea.
    Didio has a long documented beef with Dick, he wanted to kill him off back in 2005 just before Infinite Crisis, but was persuaded to settle on Conner dying.

Here's what he said about Dick at NYCC from one of the panels

"The reason that I hate Nightwing is that he's getting older... The reason people like Nightwing because he aged with them. But Batman can't get older." - DiDio

DiDio says that the problem is that as characters get older, they start to get more and more similar and DC keeps having characters fill similar roles.

DiDio is worried that one day there could be a story where Nightwing is older than Batman. Some fans call for DC to just kill Batman.

Astonishing Member

Didio has a long documented beef with Dick, he wanted to kill him off back in 2005 just before Infinite Crisis, but was persuaded to settle on Conner dying.

Here's what he said about Dick at NYCC from one of the panels
    Killing a beloved character is horrible but his reasoning is actually sound. If Dick ages, Bruce has to age as well but that's not feasible if they want his to remain the Dark Knight indefinitely.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Killing a beloved character is horrible but his reasoning is actually sound. If Dick ages, Bruce has to age as well but that's not feasible if they want his to remain the Dark Knight indefinitely.
    Yes, I agree with that. Batman fans, by and large, when get angry when someone, anyone, other than Bruce wears the Batsuit. Scott Snyder made it a point that Batman is Bruce's burden and his alone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Yes, I agree with that. Batman fans, by and large, when get angry when someone, anyone, other than Bruce wears the Batsuit.
    Unless you're Terry McGuiness.

Yeah, I can appreciate the conundrum, if not his preferred idea on how to deal with it. I can appreciate it because I'm basically in a frame of mind similar to what I think Didio's is: I want the big heroes, the big 7 and those in that stratosphere, to be fairly young, vigorous heroes, not elder statesmen. The latter is what inevitably happens with so much legacy. On the other hand I know there's fans and creators who love that exact set up. But I don't think Didio is nearly as alone in his opinion as its made to seem.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, I can appreciate the conundrum, if not his preferred idea on how to deal with it. I can appreciate it because I'm basically in a frame of mind similar to what I think Didio's is: I want the big heroes, the big 7 and those in that stratosphere, to be fairly young, vigorous heroes, not elder statesmen. The latter is what inevitably happens with so much legacy. On the other hand I know there's fans and creators who love that exact set up. But I don't think Didio is nearly as alone in his opinion as its made to seem.
    Still, you can keep the legacy heroes durable and evolve them without having to kill or critically maim them. Wally had a family while Barry resumed Flash duties, and it did nothing to deter him.

Doubtful Damien will turn 18 in our lifetime either...and not even he was once safe from death.

not to turn this further into a nightwing/batman thread, but that comment above by didio is bonkers. of course you can age batman. i have no idea what the "accepted" age for the big guns these days are, if you figure bruce wayne was around 25 when he started and dick came around not too terribly much after that, you age dick 10 years to his current age and bruce wayne is still in that 25-35 sweet spot. experienced, but not old. and this allows for all the other robins as well.

anyhow, here's me giving another vote to checking out action comics along with superman. though it's very early on in the run, i think action has been the superior book.

i'm a little surprised that the internet has been reacting poorly to the bendis books; i mean, i'm not surprised, because it's the internet, but you know what i mean. his work grew very very very stale over the years at marvel, but it's like he's hit the re-set button on his career. his stuff right now is quite good, remenicient of his early marvel days. i'm not going to get worried about bendis at dc until he starts pumping out two universe-spanning events each calendar year. that's when bendis goes from delightful character scribe to nonsensical and over-worked.
    Last edited by Adset; 10-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.

I don't think Didio's reasoning is sound at all.

Yes, fans back in the 80's and 90's got to watch Robin grow up into Nightwing. That doesn't happen very often at the Big 2, and it's something special for those who were there. But that's not why most people like Nightwing. They like him because he's an amazing character. There's no need to make him age, and I'm not sure why Didio thinks there is.

Really, if Didio was worried about Batman getting too old, they shouldn't have brought in his ten year old son....who's now thirteen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.