Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Future of the Venom Film Series

It looks like this movie is a bona fide hit for Sony. With $205.2 million in the tank worldwide (with China still pending release), and with a total production budget of $116 million on the high end, adjusting about $40 million upwards for marketing costs, along with a 66%(-ish) take of the total cut from movie theaters, it looks the movie is days away from being in the black. It seems like Sony can rest assured that a universe of their own Marvel characters, even without Spider-Man, can perform well.

It seems unlikely Feige would be willing to let another company bring down the overall quality of his cinematic universe (31% on Rotten Tomatoes versus a startling high 65% for Thor: The Dark World) so Sony will probably be faced with the choice to leave Spider-Man out of a universe making money without him or to risk rebooting the character for the fourth time in twenty years, when reception for Spider-Man films hasn’t been this good since 2004. I think they’ll leave Peter Parker in the MCU at least until Feige decides he doesn’t care to tell stories with Spider-Man anymore. Still, hard to argue that part of what made Avengers: Infinity War a two billion dollar film was his inclusion. So, anticipate both studios to push forward with the deal as is. At least for long enough to get an MCU set trilogy.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

At this point, Sony's going to make more money with Venom as a separate franchise than by incorporating these elements into the Spider-Man films.

From a narrative standpoint, they could easily make some kind of crossover where Brock loses control of the symbiote, and it briefly goes to Spider-Man. But Marvel probably doesn't want Venom to be part of its universe, especially with the low critical rating.

There's certainly enough Spider-Man characters in the films to avoid touching the alien costume saga for a decade, when they might consider a reboot (the alien costume providing the next iteration a different identity, and some moments fans will have been waiting a long time for.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The most fun thing with Symbiotes is that there can be as many as the writer needs.

Seriously... there's a LOT of them already: https://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Klyntar_(Race)

In all honesty, I think any film starring Venom will be a hit. The character is and always has been insanely popular, with a few ebbs here and there. While I didn't like the movie much (I saw it over the weekend) I do see the appeal of Venom in his own flick.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't know.

I mean you can talk about critical rating (for whatever that's worth), but if they were to crossover Venom with the MCU they'd probably just be bringing Venom/Eddie along and leaving everything else.

Which mean basically just having Tom Hardy, and I can't imagine any MCU director would be too upset about having Mr. Hardy attached to their movie.

I don't think Venom is going to be brought over for a myriad of other reasons, but I wouldn't way the critical opinion of the movie too highly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    It looks like this movie is a bona fide hit for Sony. With $205.2 million in the tank worldwide (with China still pending release), and with a total production budget of $116 million on the high end, adjusting about $40 million upwards for marketing costs, along with a 66%(-ish) take of the total cut from movie theaters, it looks the movie is days away from being in the black. It seems like Sony can rest assured that a universe of their own Marvel characters, even without Spider-Man, can perform well.
    Venom doesn’t guarantee anything about the Sony universe though. There’s no way movies about Morbius or Silver Sable will do anywhere near these numbers. Maybe future symbiote movies for sure.

I'm going to wait and see what kind of a drop off it has in it's second weekend , everyone knew it would have a big opening weekend , it's the second weekend that will really count

I was kinda hoping they would drop Michael Morbius name somewhere in the film

I agree a Morbius movie won't come close to what Venom did , but having Jared Leto's name attached to it will help
    Last edited by Iowa; 10-07-2018 at 07:19 PM.

BANNED

I just hope that this is not the start of Pascal's plan to remove Spidey from the MCU.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I just hope that this is not the start of Pascal's plan to remove Spidey from the MCU.
    It very well could be because Sony now know they can make Spider-man related material successful.

well they do have miles morales waiting on deck

They've got to do Carnage next!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    They've got to do Carnage next!
    yes please
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

i dunno if this is right but as far as I know Tom Holland has a 6 movie deal but apparently it's only contracted for 5 mcu appearnaces that being Civil war, infinity war, hoemcoming, far from hoem and avengers 4. This would leave Holland free too appear in 1 movie of sony's choosing, could be venom 2, could be a third solo movie that they incorporate into there venom universe and thus trick casual audiances into thinking the mcu and sony universe are connected.

is this true or is all 6 appearances definitely for the MCU?
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    well they do have miles morales waiting on deck
    Doesn't Sony have the movie rights to him as well?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I don't think Venom is going to be brought over for a myriad of other reasons, but I wouldn't way the critical opinion of the movie too highly.
    I think this is the main thing preventing a crossover with even so much as Spider-Man as long as the deal continues. As can be seen here, Sony would certainly like for Marvel to be more cooperative with them on sharing characters and vice versa. Given that, I think that Marvel is going to, smartly, be the stick in the mud here. If it had been a commercial and critical success, perhaps it would be more likely but I think it is incredibly unlikely even under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    i dunno if this is right but as far as I know Tom Holland has a 6 movie deal but apparently it's only contracted for 5 mcu appearnaces that being Civil war, infinity war, hoemcoming, far from hoem and avengers 4. This would leave Holland free too appear in 1 movie of sony's choosing, could be venom 2, could be a third solo movie that they incorporate into there venom universe and thus trick casual audiances into thinking the mcu and sony universe are connected.

is this true or is all 6 appearances definitely for the MCU?
    It is definitely true. Tom Holland has a six picture deal with Sony, three of which were "loaned" out to Marvel. The deal only covers through Spider-Man: Far From Home, a movie whose conclusion will result in five appearances in the MCU. Sony still has the option to use Tom Holland after the deal is up. My guess is that Sony kept this option open in order to prevent another hard reboot should they choose to bring him back to their universe. Additionally, I think Marvel has legal protections against the use of their shared Spider-Man so long as the deal continues. However, it seems like if this deal concludes, Marvel likely has no recourse to prevent Sony's use of Holland in their own films. Of course, we don't know the contents of their agreement but, given the picture deal, and when we know the main deal expires, we can take a guess that this is likely what the case is.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.