Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    interesting. i thought doing that in the cartoons was a smart move and was probably the best place for it.
    critical reception to the new territory explored has been positive and ratings have been strong enough for renewal.

so it seems a few people at least feel..uhm...serviced?
    Well, it doesn't seem like Marvel's Spider-Man has been renewed so...maybe not ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think one of the reasons why there being so many other Spiders doesn't bother me is because they're pretty much always on their own, and with the exception of occasional cameos or crossovers, very rarely have the other Spiders as part of their supporting cast.
    I think that's probably the only way the existence of a lot of spider-people would work around Spider-Man. I don't think the personal narrative of Spider-Man really works if there are a bunch of other spider-people running around at the same time, and the same holds true for even the non-Peter Spider-Men (and women).

So better to only occasionally acknowledge the existence of other spiders rather then make it a focal point.

Although I guess the exception would be the Spider-Women since they seemed to work well together, particularly in their crossover, although I feel like that also highlights how irrelevant Peter can sometimes be in the lives of the so-called "Spider-Family."
    It's one of the reasons I like Batgirl alot, she takes the Bat name, but works completely separately on her own and with her own morals and ethics.
    I think Batgirl's an interesting case.

She's often an independent heroine but she usually has a deep enough reverence or connection to Batman and the Batfamily that it's easier to connect the two or make them work together in the same setting.

And then there's the cases like with Babs where she's related to a major Batman supporting character in Commissioner Gordon or Cass who had Batman as a major supporting character in her book.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it doesn't seem like Marvel's Spider-Man has been renewed so...maybe not ?

I think that's probably the only way the existence of a lot of spider-people would work around Spider-Man. I don't think the personal narrative of Spider-Man really works if there are a bunch of other spider-people running around at the same time, and the same holds true for even the non-Peter Spider-Men (and women).

So better to only occasionally acknowledge the existence of other spiders rather then make it a focal point.

Although I guess the exception would be the Spider-Women since they seemed to work well together, particularly in their crossover, although I feel like that also highlights how irrelevant Peter can sometimes be in the lives of the so-called "Spider-Family."

I think Batgirl's an interesting case.

She's often an independent heroine but she usually has a deep enough reverence or connection to Batman and the Batfamily that it's easier to connect the two or make them work together in the same setting.

And then there's the cases like with Babs where she's related to a major Batman supporting character in Commissioner Gordon or Cass who had Batman as a major supporting character in her book.
    And Cass and Steph were both mentored by the original Batgirl, who occasionally butted heads with Batman (Bruce for Cassandra, Dick for Stephanie, since Bruce was "dead" at the time) over how best to mentor the latest Batgirl. Great character dynamics and connections like that are what make almost any premise worth reading, even if the abilities/skill-sets are somewhat redundant.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And Cass and Steph were both mentored by the original Batgirl, who occasionally butted heads with Batman (Bruce for Cassandra, Dick for Stephanie, since Bruce was "dead" at the time) over how best to mentor the latest Batgirl. Great character dynamics and connections like that are what make almost any premise worth reading, even if the abilities/skill-sets are somewhat redundant.
    I liked seeing Barbara mentor Charlie on what it means to be Batgirl. Not that it REALLY worked, she just changed her costume and name to not be Batgirl....

Funny how you bring up Batgirl taking the Bat family name but working independently. That's basically what Jessica does. And Jess has mentored just about every 616 Spider-Woman but Julia.

And what I like most about Jess is that her origins are completely separate from Pete's, which was pretty rare back when she was created.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Funny how you bring up Batgirl taking the Bat family name but working independently. That's basically what Jessica does. And Jess has mentored just about every 616 Spider-Woman but Julia.

And what I like most about Jess is that her origins are completely separate from Pete's, which was pretty rare back when she was created.
    It is always funny to remember how Jessica only really exists because Marvel wanted to make a "Spider-Woman" before anyone else could copyright it. But it was really good and incredibly smart move that they kept her separate from Peter, and having a completely different moveset and backstory, as well as mostly sticking with the Avengers.

Honestly I can't think of really any significant moments Peter and Jessica interacted prior to the New Avengers. And it wasn't until Spider-Verse that they really tried to make her connected to Peter and all the other Spiders, outside of like you mentioned, the other Spider-Women she would mentor.

Peter made a couple of appearances in Jessica first series. And then I think they teamed up again sometime around when Charlotte Witter went after him. I could be misremembering that though. But otherwise, yeah, they didn't really interact until New Avengers. There was that one time Pete lost this spider sense and a mind controlled Jess nearly got the best of him.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post

I'd say Jess is more like Batwoman then Batgirl.