Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Red Hood: Outlaw #27 Preview / Discussion

Red Hood: Outlaw #27

Source: https://www.cbr.com/preview-red-hood-outlaw-27/

Summary: Everything changed for the Red Hood last issue. This time around, everything changes for Jason Todd! Devoid of partners and exiled from Gotham City, Jason gets a fateful message from the last person he expected to see again. The news he learns leaves him with no choice but to don the Red Hood mask once more and double down on his two-fisted crimefighting approach. Pray for whoever gets in Jason’s way as “The Outlaw” kicks into high gear.
    Last edited by Sonia; 10-08-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    Out of all the Robins, Jason Todd is my favourite

Oh man I'm waiting for the revelation of Roys death, it's gonna hurt, I just know it.

Someone should really tell Jason that not wearing a mask when asking questions about the Underlife is dangerous.

I know he's a dead man legally but someone is bound to play facial recognition on him, if only to prepare for his arrival.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Someone should really tell Jason that not wearing a mask when asking questions about the Underlife is dangerous.

I know he's a dead man legally but someone is bound to play facial recognition on him, if only to prepare for his arrival.
    Doesn't seem like he's doing this in places where there's anything to catch an image of his face.

I think he doesn't care either. It was said that he's a bit suicidal now iirc.

Anyway. I'm ready to get wrecked.

Thing is, if the Underlife in RHatO is the same as the one in The Silencer, those guys have access to an awful number of crazy gadgets and technologies. Including body-modified goons, with implanted cameras and the like.

So far, I don't think that Lobdell will go as crazy as Dan Abnett on the Underlife, but if the two are the same, I still hope that some of the deadliest elements will strike at Jason, so some caution would be great.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Oh man, that opening page.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Oh man, that opening page.
    I know. It's like getting kicked right in the stomach
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He calls himself Jaybird :3

Also, that location caption is just 'Merica XD

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He calls himself Jaybird :3

Also, that location caption is just 'Merica XD
    I was thinking about that. Has Jason ever referred to himself as Jaybird?

Also does Jason collect red hoodies or something? This one looks different from the ones in #26.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I was thinking about that. Has Jason ever referred to himself as Jaybird?
    No, is this the first time he has done it. He used to hate the nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    No, is this the first time he has done it. He used to hate the nickname.
    Of course, just when he accepts the name, Roy isn't even alive to enjoy hearing it.
    Oh no, the issue is hurting me already.

Great start, very... very I dunno, tarantinesque? So I'm totally won for this issue with those few pages already.

I was about to comment that Lobdell is toning the inner dialogue boxes an awful lot, maybe for a reason (in order to show Jason's mental picture not by words, but by mere acts). But maybe not, because that last page went back to the usual, atmospheric commentary that I honestly love because it's not too intrusive, (not as much as is with other writers and definitely a lot more toned down than with New 52 RHATO). It maybe has a bit of what I initially thought, but it probably is, too, because he wants to give the book a more cinematic vibe. And it definitely has that feel. Art helps a lot, because honestly, that choreography, like the ones in the last issue, is awesome. Woods is probably having a lot of headaches with it, but he also is having a lot of fun. And I get why he decided to switch to just inks: these seem to be a bit less elaborated that in issue 26, losing a bit of that wonderful feel that they gave then alongside the colours. Totally understable.

I remember people mentioning (comparing) the start of Nightwing 50 with something akin to "Jack Reacher" (that movie with Tom Cruise from 2012--Oh, Jesus Christ, I'm getting old so quick), as if it were a bad thing. This op scene here in RHATO felt a lot like one from that movie, and I'll be honest: I think it was something good, because, well, I liked that movie a lot (different tastes). I love that stuff with all my guilty love. Which is something you hardly believe if you would meet me. But I'm rambling: back to the track, it's good for what it pretends to be--At least, under my point of view. And I perfectly see that cinematic vibe comparing that movie with this start as much as I saw with Nightwing 50. So I wonder if there was already some input from Lobdell in that issue or if it was just a coincidence that Percy opted for that kind of tone for the OP scene.

I suspect that, by the time Jason is calling Roy, he already has suspected what had happening, and calls for confirming that something is very wrong or not wrong at all. Look at his pace: he looks either sad or concerned. And maybe Bruce picks up the phone. I hope he doesn't get the news just by phone.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.