Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Just read the issue.

All I’m gonna say is we got some stuff to talk about
    Well what did ya think?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I don't know how to feel about this issue really. spoilers:
    First things first, word on the street was right, they do hug. In fact most the issue is just Bruce and Jason talking and airing out some of the questions around Jasons status, sort of. Bruce acknowledges Jay didnt kill Penguin but it wasnt for lack of trying. Jason isnt welcome in Gotham but he also wont be sent to Arkham so....Thats good to know I guess? It wasn't as emotional as I expected, it felt more like a quick recap and basically a calculated reassurance issue, to say dont worry folks they are gonna be just fine. The same goes for when Bruce breaks the news to Jason about Roy, it felt more like the comic was using most of the panel time to conveniently explain away why Jason won't be hunting down Roys killer and instead will take his death in stride. Feels like the tension between Bruce and Jason is just being ignored once again I guess, I think that is whats dissapointing me.
    end of spoilers I don't know, maybe I was in too much of a hurry reading, I will read again later and see if my opinion differs. Don't get me wrong I'm glad these questions were answered but I guess I was expecting something with more of an emotional gut punch.
    Even though we got some answers, I dont think we’ve got the answers yet you know? It feels like there’s still a lot more to say that won’t be said until this underlife business is concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Even though we got some answers, I dont think we’ve got the answers yet you know? It feels like there’s still a lot more to say that won’t be said until this underlife business is concluded.
    Perhaps a crossover with Silencer down the line? She did help out Dick in Nightwing after all, so teaming up with a Bat isn't out of the question for her.

Read it. Kinda surprised by how well Jason took the news of Roy's death, but still glad that he was mature about it (really happy to see how much he grown).

Edit:

On second thought, I actually got what Lobdell did here. He was pretty much trying to wrap up all the plotlines that the book was affected by outside forces (like the deal with penguin, the sanctuary, Roy dying) so he could start fresh with next issue. I actually appreciate that.

Bruce's behaviour here makes sense to me since Roy dying very likely hit close to home and remind him of losing Jason the first-time which probably why he wanted to reach Jason and feel that he owed it to him to tell him about Roy. Tragedy bring people closer after all and this is the perfect opportunity for Lobdell to make things a little better between them (I'm more convinced now than ever that Lobdell never wanted the break up).

Jason's behaviour and reaction is what surprised me and made me feel that things were swept under the rug, but I get it now. He was probably really shocked to see Bruce without the cowl no less and didn't know how to feel or deal with it. He seems resigned to the pain and accepted it as part of his life which is why he was clam when he received the news. It's sad, but also show how far Jason has come and how mature he become. This kind of character development is rarely ever seen in comics.
    Last edited by Rise; 10-10-2018 at 02:59 AM.

So, I strongly advise to reread it again because it was really smart and has an emotional depth that you wouldn't get on first read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    So, I strongly advise to reread it again because it was really smart and has an emotional depth that you wouldn't get on first read.
    Agreed. It was a very good issue, with a lot of stuff unsaid and ambiguous. Smart writting again, way better than #26, even if it doesn't reach the quality of the last part of the previous arc. I'll write a more elaborated post later today, when I'm in my PC and well rested: but I found a lot of bits to comment in that exchanve between Bruce and Jason, and in the apparent fast pacing of the issue.

I saw things with Bruce under other light, for example. But nonetheless, that shows smart writing. I really look forward to discuss this issue
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-10-2018 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Adding somegwhing

On second thought, I actually got what Lobdell did here. He was pretty much trying to wrap up all the plotlines that the book was affected by outside forces (like the deal with penguin, the sanctuary, Roy dying) so he could start fresh with next issue. I actually appreciate that.
    YUP. That's exactly what he was doing. Like a quick wrap up so Lobdell doesn't have to address these points later on. It's done, and the story can move on now. Though I appreciate that it was done in a way that brought positive reinforcement to Jasons character in the process.

Bruce's behaviour here makes sense to me since Roy dying very likely hit close to home and remind him of losing Jason the first-time which probably why he wanted to reach Jason and feel that he owed it to him to tell him about Roy. Tragedy bring people closer after all and this is the perfect opportunity for Lobdell to make things a little better between them (I'm more convinced now than ever that Lobdell never wanted the break up).

Jason's behaviour and reaction is what surprised me and made me feel that things were swept under the rug, but I get it now. He was probably really shocked to see Bruce without the cowl no less and didn't know how to feel or deal with it. He seems resigned to the pain and accepted it as part of his life which is why he was clam when he received the news. It's sad, but also show how far Jason has come and how mature he become. This kind of character development is rarely ever seen in comics.
    It was a good issue, even with my complete dissatisfaction with the 'brutal Bruce to caring Bruce' whiplash that connects this to #25, of course I love seeing THIS Bruce, the one that looks after his family, and this issue is no exception, I just wish it hadn't been so soon after that devastating fallout, or that the fallout never occurred if this was the soon to be conclusion. Never the less, upon arriving home and rereading it, yeah, I definitely can see more of the subtle story telling here, especially in the silent panels. Jason being reasonable but ultimately somber here was no surprise, we know he has come a long way, though it's always nice to see him so visibly become more mature. And between understanding that his presence in the investigation for the Killer is unnecessary and also within the panels where Jason is telling Bruce that he doesn't want to cast aside what little time he has left to forever mourn Roy, Bruces reaction in those silent panels is really telling, like there's a new found consideration there, mulling over Jasons reaction, and what I interpreted as, Bruce also seeing that Jason, has in fact matured, despite the unfortunate circumstances between them now.

Edit: Anyone get a 'Hot Fuzz' vibe outta that town and it's people?
    Last edited by RedBird; 10-10-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Edit: Anyone get a 'Hot Fuzz' vibe outta that town and it's people?
    I thought of The Good Place, but Hot Fuzz serves better. Great movie, btw. Lots of fun

Fantastic Member

l liked this issue

I took you guys' advice and read it slowly. It was pretty smart writing, with Lobdell managed to write a believable exchange between two people recently drifted apart and trying to reconnect in the face of tragedy. I love how Jason's eyes looked blurry as Bruce confirmed that he's neither coming back to Gotham nor Arkham. Relief with a bit of grief? I love Jason's reaction to death. More than being mature and factual, it speaks of his own experience, that he doesn't value his own being alive more than being dead, so in a way, he can accept that of others as well even though he‘s still crushed. I like the hug too and the whole exchange is tentative on both sides. I guess from now on however their relationship develops to be, it's without compromise from either side.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 10-10-2018 at 08:33 AM.

The moment I saw Bruce I knew he was going to deliver the news. But I'm surprised Jason kept his composure with all of it. And although he isnt allow returning to Gotham I'm kinda Okay that he and Bruce kinda talk it out although timeline wise its probably been only a month I beleive. this issue can also set up Jason for the three joker arc since he and Batman are back to speaking terms

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Barring the shaved head, much easier to see Jason getting into a diner fight than Dick. Or even a bar brawl.
    I don't really like how it ended Jason shouldn't need help in bar brawl. I had actually hoped that as solo character and without guns, we could finally see a bit more of his martial art skills.

I don't think it's a big deal. In #26 he took a hit and kept fighting. I believe he could have done the same here. Bruce just decided to step in early.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I thought of The Good Place, but Hot Fuzz serves better. Great movie, btw. Lots of fun
    I don't know either one. I was just reminded of that opening musical sequence in Beauty and the Beast animated film. Seriously though I find Appleton pretty disturbing so far, and it really feels that Jason's gonna be in real danger soon.

By the way, does anyone feel that Jason look younger here than in the last issue? He looks pretty good in the last page. And there's some of that Soy's body shape in there too.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 10-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Solid issue, although I was expecting Jason being more emotional over both the news and meeting with Bruce again.

Speaking of Bruce, this just highlights how the brawl in #25 was a means to an end, probably asked by editorial that required Lobdell to write both Jason and Bruce slightly out of character to allow the event to happen. Right now Lobdell is seemingly the only writer that remembers that Bruce is actually human, and thus, he makes sure to depict that human side that allows for more meaningful interactions with the rest of the bat family.

That said, this is definitely an issue I'll need to think about for a while to properly express my feelings of it.