View Poll Results: Which character will feature in the opening flashback?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wonder Woman

2 40.00%
  • Zatanna

1 20.00%
  • Swamp Thing

0 0%
  • Man-Bat

0 0%
  • Detective Chimp

1 20.00%
  • Constantine

0 0%
  • No flashback in this issue

1 20.00%
  • Other, as explained in comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Women #56 (Witching Hour 2/5)

With the preview for Wonder Woman #56 coming out with the second part of The Witching Hour soon, the main question will be who among our intrepid heroes who will be featured in the opening flashback?

Though I waited too long with posting the poll, the page preview is up now:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...witching-hour/

"The Justice League Dark barely escaped their first encounter with Hecate, but they know she’ll be coming back for the power inside Wonder Woman. But what if Diana could tap into that power herself to take on Hecate directly?"

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Wonder Woman finally gets an another event and instead of focusing on one of her original rogues, its focus is on a public domain character. DC did the same thing last time with War of the Gods. What a major let down. It's things like this that prevent Diana's rogues from getting the recognition and respect like Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern's rogues do. Heck, even Aquaman's events have focused on Ocean Master.

DC could have used the Queen of Fables or Dark Angel for this story instead of Hecate.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

On the other hand, Wonder Woman has dibs on some of the best public domain characters in the world within the DCU.

But could we please keep this about the issue at hand?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Wonder Woman finally gets an another event and instead of focusing on one of her original rogues, its focus is on a public domain character. DC did the same thing last time with War of the Gods. What a major let down. It's things like this that prevent Diana's rogues from getting the recognition and respect like Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern's rogues do. Heck, even Aquaman's events have focused on Ocean Master.

DC could have used the Queen of Fables or Dark Angel for this story instead of Hecate.
    It's just a crossover not an event.

The art is ok, but I can't help to imagine what could have been if it was JH Williams III or even Mike Mignola.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

They’re on their way to Aeaea to seek Circe’s help

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    It's just a crossover not an event.

I disagree being that it's getting 2 specials along with issues of both Wonder Woman and JLDark.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

nobody read it yet? really enjoying this crossover

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    nobody read it yet? really enjoying this crossover
    I have - and while I'm mostly enjoying the fact that this all centers around Wonder Woman, there are a few elements that I'm not too crazy about. They are mainly related to how Diana is being written as somewhat of a short tempered hot-head who acts before she thinks.

I did enjoy how they merged Circe's pre and post rebirth looks in a way that pretty much explains why she looks different sometimes.

I love that both of Circe’s looks are canon. That’s exactly what I was hoping they’d do.

Really enjoyed the issue! Loved seeing Circe be apart of the event. I wonder what the witch really has in store for us.

I’m wondering when diana and circe became civil towards one another; or is hecate replacing circe?

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I have - and while I'm mostly enjoying the fact that this all centers around Wonder Woman, there are a few elements that I'm not too crazy about. They are mainly related to how Diana is being written as somewhat of a short tempered hot-head who acts before she thinks.

I did enjoy how they merged Circe's pre and post rebirth looks in a way that pretty much explains why she looks different sometimes.
    I think Diana is written pretty fairly, as someone sure of herself, used to take action, and always being able to help, but now thrust in a situation where she is no longer sure of herself and not able to help despite wanting to. That came up as early as in the JLD 2, when she lashed out at Zatanna but apologised shortly afterwards. It's also rather clear that Diana and Zatanna have been raised rather differently on how to deal with problems and legendary beings.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Tynion has done his homework on Greek mythology. His Circe is more bored and a bit cruel than evil or actively malicious. Not sure about his take on Hecate, however, but here we get another piece of the puzzle from what Doctor Fate told Zatanna and Diana in JLD 2.
    Last edited by kjn; 10-10-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think Diana is written pretty fairly, as someone sure of herself, used to take action, and always being able to help, but now thrust in a situation where she is no longer sure of herself and not able to help despite wanting to. That came up as early as in the JLD 2, when she lashed out at Zatanna but apologised shortly afterwards. It's also rather clear that Diana and Zatanna have been raised rather differently on how to deal with problems and legendary beings.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Tynion has done his homework on Greek mythology. His Circe is more bored and a bit cruel than evil or actively malicious. Not sure about his take on Hecate, however, but here we get another piece of the puzzle from what Doctor Fate told Zatanna and Diana in JLD 2.
    Yeah, I don't see it that way. Diana is definitely a "take action" kind of person, but she was literally raised on a magical island, so I don't see why dealing with a magical problem would suddenly make her unsure of herself. She wouldn't deliberately lie to the Justice League (a confusing story choice, considering Hecate mind wiped the League five minutes later) & she would stop and consider what someone like Zatanna might have to say, especially with Circe standing there practically foaming at the mouth for the chance to access Hecate's power. And she definitely wouldn't accept Circe's help without first verifying that she didn't have an ulterior motive. I will buy that being used by an "angry vengeful god" would piss her off, but it shouldn't make her stupid. All this is just giving me shades of Meredith Finch... Plus the bit with the unicorn was just ridiculous. Doesn't Diana have some sort of power to commune with animals or something like that? I just don't see her viciously kidnapping anything or anyone as some sort of sacrifice.