Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default How do you think people will look back at Trump's presidency in the future?

I don't like Donald Trump. I think his economic policies range from mediocre to truly horrendous, he appears to be deeply incompetent in many regards, and quite frankly I consider him to be an embarrassment.

However, I think that his percieved shaking up of the political establishment and status quo might make him be considered as one of the greatest presidents in US history. Would this be warranted in my opinion? No. Despite his claims, I think Trump is very much an establishmentarian. In spite of this, I suspect that future generations will look at the impact and uproar Trump has caused culturally and regard at the very least his sentiments, as a positive thing.

Any way, enough of my predictions for the future. How do you think Trump's presidency will be regarded retrospectively? Do you think he will be seen as one of the worst presidents of all time? The best? A mediocrity? Once again, this has nothing to do with how good you consider his presidency to be, this thread simply has to do with how so you think people will think of him in the future.

Finally, please be polite.

Ultimate Member

History won't remember him well at all.

He's taken credit for a lot of things he didn't do and has spent an ungodly amount of time and energy in dividing the country and marginalizing and demonizing minorities and foreigners. Particularly when the country is legit/fact becoming more diverse. Not to mention the lies upon lies (i mean, where do we start with this).

There's a lot more to it than this but there's just too much to go over.

Extraordinary Member

History has a tendency to look down better on Presidents than they were viewed in his time because you can look back at the actual impact.

If it ended today Trump’s legacy would be that he upset two political dynasty’s was largely ineffective in domestic policies and that his agenda was hampered by an FBI investigation, that he generally stayed the course on foreign policy, was largely at a cultural divide on social issues representing the last vestiges of traditional conservatism, and that he was instrumental in forming a conservative Supreme Court. You might even say his Twitter use was the modern day Fireside Talk and that it gave us more access to the psyche of the Presidentnthsn ever.

I think that the general consensus is going to be "how in hell did that happen?".

same as it is now. his supporters will remain loyal and swear that he was the second coming of Ronald Reagan. and someone like me will just have a lower opinion of those people.

BANNED

I reckon he's going to be remembered as the guy that caused the second american civil war, even though he's more a symptom than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    same as it is now. his supporters will remain loyal and swear that he was the second coming of Ronald Reagan. and someone like me will just have a lower opinion of those people.
    Nixon's little piss-ants faded away mostly.

So will Trump's.

I suspect this is the last hurrah for white conservative America.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Same as he's remembered from the 1980s through 2016, from what I can see. With perhaps a few less "Ooo look, a rich guy!" blinders.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Nixon's little piss-ants faded away mostly.

So will Trump's.

I suspect this is the last hurrah for white conservative America.
    there is a very real chance that Baron Trump will eventually be President of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    there is a very real chance that Baron Trump will eventually be President of the United States.
    Our major cities are less than a 10% growth boom away from rendering the electoral college moot.

US population will have a new majority race by the time Baron can be POTUS.

I really do think we're seeing the death throes of white conservative America.

Probably the GOP, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Our major cities are less than a 10% growth boom away from rendering the electoral college moot.

US population will have a new majority race by the time Baron can be POTUS.

I really do think we're seeing the death throes of white conservative America.

Probably the GOP, too.
    coudl be. but don't underestimate their need to survive. that's why Trump is a thing.

I doubt history will be kind to Trump. The internet and his ridiculous tweets will ensure a complete record of everything that is happening. I suspect in the years following his retirement from office, former staff will come forward and we'll discover that Bob Woodward's new book is a pretty accurate account of what really happened.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 10-08-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Empty is thy hand!

I think most Trumpers will disavow Donnie in time just like most republicans pretended not to support Bush. History will not be kind to Donnie's crass bullying, politics of division, and crippling of foreign ally relationships.

Remember the Tea Party? Where's their concern for the debt now? These people don't pretend to be consistent, and even though their personal views won't change, their public stance will change in time.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I guess it depends on what kind of historians will be around in the future. Trump and the GOP rewrite their history constantly. Trump has been blustering for decades on how he started out with a mere pittance of a million dollar loan from his father that he had to pay back with interest. He went bankrupt numerous times even with the big boost that we now know was given to him by his parents since he was 2 years old to start his "empire".

Will there be a Toto in the future that will pull back the curtain on this fake wizard? It remains to be seen. He already has millions that believe his lies. He lied again yesterday at a rally that Sen. Feinstein has a piece of legisation called "Open Borders" There have been a number of books already about him and maybe the Bob Woodward book will stand the test of time. He'll need a sequel pretty soon since were have 2 more years to go on his first term.

Worst human to ever sit in the Oval Office.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!