Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Some controversial looks are likable, for me these include 90's Aquaman and Wonder Woman's biker costume. Then there are others that are simply unforgivable.

Cyclone.jpg

Even without the witch's hat Cyclone's costume was terrible, but what made it worse was she was a teen character constantly caught in Marilyn Monroe's subway draft that often showed off her upper thighs.

looker.jpg

Looker appeared to be wearing 3 separate costumes unwisely stitched together.

Catwoman_1960s4.jpg

This was unfortunate in color and texture unless Selina renamed herself Catfishwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Wonder Woman:
    Her mid '10s experimentation as battle-nun:
    This however was the greatest atrocity of the past 10 years (maybe 20) til this day I still don't know who thought a "V" on her crotch was a good idea, especially when combined with a priest's collar.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 10-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Catwoman_1960s4.jpg

This was unfortunate in color and texture unless Selina renamed herself Catfishwoman.
    This was based on the Catwoman design that Sheldon Moldoff did in the Batman dailies, about a year before--which in turn was clearly inspired by the catsuit on the TV show. I think that the detailing is supposed to be like the texture on the Julie Newmar outfit. The dailies were black & white, so we don't know what colour it was supposed to be.

However, Moldoff then did a version of that in a couple of panels for an issue of 'TEC (364), where it was coloured blue/purple. But the green version was used first in BATMAN 197, with Frank Springer doing the interior pencils, yet most of the story is cobbled together with swipes from other artists (Moldoff, Infantino, Lew Sayre Schwartz) and oddly it continues from the story in 'TEC 369, where we had a glimpse of Catwoman by Infantino and Greene in which she looked much more intriguing in a slinky black number.

It's hard to figure out why they changed the colour to green, which made it look so fishy. Maybe they wanted a contrast with the blue/purple colouring on Batman and Batgirl in that issue (Batman's grey was always purple on the interior pages). But it was a weird colour choice for a cat.

Even as an infrequent reader of DC Comics, I simply couldn't understand what Roy Harper was going for with this outfit.

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-29-2021 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Whaaaaaaaa? He was awesome. The beard and the hair gave a great look. I could live with or without the hook.

This was awful:

Attachment 71947
    Azrael has a list of awful costumes, even though AzBat one had some reasons .

I've always found laughable Dr. Light.

And Captain Boomerang too.

Raven N52, atrocious

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Raven N52, atrocious

Awful.

Sorry:

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    And Captain Boomerang too.

It makes sense if you read the original story in which Captain Boomerang appears. It's a parody. John Broome had a well-developed sense of humour and many of his Flash stories were supposed to have funny moments (people today wrongly believe they were funny by accident). Boomerang is a take-off on all the toy crazes of the time.

Digger is hired by the big corporate toy manufacturer to be their shill for a new line of boomerangs sold to kids. That's why he wears the ridiculous outfit festooned with boomerangs. But Digger is taking advantage of his fat cat masters and using his front as the benign "Captain Boomerang" (think Captain Kangaroo) to pull off a series of robberies.

Modern updates loose sight of this comical intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It makes sense if you read the original story in which Captain Boomerang appears. It's a parody. John Broome had a well-developed sense of humour and many of his Flash stories were supposed to have funny moments (people today wrongly believe they were funny by accident). Boomerang is a take-off on all the toy crazes of the time.

Digger is hired by the big corporate toy manufacturer to be their shill for a new line of boomerangs sold to kids. That's why he wears the ridiculous outfit festooned with boomerangs. But Digger is taking advantage of his fat cat masters and using his front as the benign "Captain Boomerang" (think Captain Kangaroo) to pull off a series of robberies.

Modern updates loose sight of this comical intent.

Thank you for the explanation, very interesting!

Anyway my problem with Cap is still there, i always think about this:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    Cosmic Boy mankini
    Agree. I was embarrassed for him - and he's a fictional character.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Whaaaaaaaa? He was awesome. The beard and the hair gave a great look. I could live with or without the hook.
    ]
    The beard and hair were fine. The hook and armour looked awful and it looked like they were trying too hard to make Aquaman look cool and serious.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I'm probably going to catch some flack for this, but I always though Hawkman looked kind of goofy. Mostly his helmet, the rest of it is not bad.

Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Guy Gardner's bowl cut.

Extraordinary Member

speaking of JLI, I was never a fan of Crimson Fox's costume. Maybe it was the way Sears drew her, but it wasn't flattering at all